VR workout/training with the Rift!

Balor
One Eyed Hopeful

VR workout/training with the Rift!

Post by Balor »

Such as virtual running on a treadmill with VR helmet on and (much preferably in my case) - VR cycling! It can be entertaining and healthy at the same time!
Of course there are 'VR trainers' out there, but they cost a fortune and, of course, their video is junk and I doubt that anyone will have Rift for providing immersion any time soon.
Treadmill perhaps the easiest - provided you can read the speed and heart rate wirelessly from it. Not sure you need to 'steer' as such - just emulating a jog on a preset (yet interesting) landscape should be fine, I guess. Still much more interesting.

Cycling is tricker - you need to know speed, cadence, heart rate, and your steering (can be optional if the program would follow preset course like above, but this is much less interesting this way). You would also need a bike (but ANY would do) and a trainer - again, you can get a cheap one (like this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=74811), and somehow provide a set of detectors - or tap onto one of VR ones, ditch stock software and add Rift functionality on top.

First way is much cheaper, and not hard at all - at least as much as I can understand.
Second would provide a way to automatically vary resistance based on information about current incline and road condition at the very least.

But of course the core of it would be the immersion provided by the rift. It would not replace true mountain biking (trailriding, allmountain, freeride), but road biking and touring simulation would spice up training immensely, and would give a stimulus to do it in RL for couch potatoes - because, unlike guitar hero - you CAN transfer much your effort into RL performance :). (Again - 'technical riding' disciplines excluded).

While I'm quite poor by European standard (being a mere sysadmin from Russia) I would pay some very good money for a quality simulation. Our parts (center Russia, all plains) are not very rich in scenery and geographics features - and those nearby I've already seen quite a few times.
I think cycling sim like that is an other perfect Rift candidate - you don't have to deal with complex control schemes, view/body movement decoupling nausea, etc.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VR workout/training with the Rift!

Post by cybereality »

You can buy first-person cycling/running DVDs for cheap online (around $20-30 each):
http://www.vafitness.com/collections/run-collection

Not in 3D, but for this type of stuff its probably OK.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I would love to see the Outerra engine and datasets be used for this purpose.

http://outerra.com/wgallery.html
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

One thing I've been wondering is how hot and sweaty it's going to get under an HMD if you start physical activity (Get your minds out of the gutter). :)
I can't imagine it will be too much fun if your face starts getting covered in sweat, then soaking into the HMD.

Could it be designed to sit off your face? Have air holes/ fans? Replaceable material? Or will we just have to deal with it until we have VR contact lenses?

Is this even a problem with current HMDs?

Almost off topic, but whenever I think of HMDs + treadmills I have a vision of someone running through a beautiful virtual grassy field, smiling and laughing, and then *oops*, tripping and landing with an HMD smashed into their face.
:o .... :D
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

I love the idea of VR sports and training, like having an AR punching bag becoming a virtual box opponent and the like.

About the Rift (and any other HMD, for that matter) I think the lenses would get misty from the sweat.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@rhinosix: At one point I was riding an exercise-bike daily, wearing the Vuzix Wrap 310 HMD and watching episodes of anime while I work-out. I did sweat a little, but it was never a problem. I guess if the workout was really intensive then maybe it would be an issue. But it my case it was fine (around 30 minutes at a time).
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Treadmill is certainly not the easiest.
I own a treadmill, and even when you just close your eyes for seconds you will fall off the treadmill.
Then there is the head bobbing, which would be needed to be simulated in the virtual environment to not make you puke all over the treadmill (the actual vertical head positon is importent here).
The other factor with head bobbing is how the VR device is mounted on the head, it would have to be really tight.

Cycling is far more easy, aside from the sweat problem, you just need to get the speed information (easy with modern trainign equipment) and maybe steering information.

That being said, I would really love tu use VR on a Threadmill, but it won't happen in the next ten years.
But for cycling this is a great idea.
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wavefunction »

I can relate to the OP. I live in Seoul and cycling isn't all that beautiful here either, unless you like being hit by cars.

Anyway, I don't see how it would be that hard to come up with a cycling solution for the Rift. Once Arma II/III is supported by the Rift, it would be pretty easy to come up with a biking simulator as Arma games have lots of scenery and a functional bicycle with freelook. Making a bicycle course is something you could cook up in the game's editor in less than 3 minutes if you wanted to and people could easily come out with custom riders/bicycles as well as custom islands.

The only problem is input and speed information. The Leap can recognize objects... maybe it can be programmed to recognize your feet on an exercise bike and calculate speed based on your intensity. If the Rift's tracker will be able to recognize incremental leans, that can be used to steer (exercise bikes have fixed handles). So pedalling and leaning on a standard exercise bike with the Rift and the Arma III engine could technically be a solution, if the Rift's tracker and the leap are up to it. Or maybe the Kinect... or maybe you could even tape a Razer Hydra to your foot. :lol:

In any case, I don't see this as a difficult task and I'm more than eager to try it out.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

rhinosix wrote:One thing I've been wondering is how hot and sweaty it's going to get under an HMD if you start physical activity (Get your minds out of the gutter). :)
I can't imagine it will be too much fun if your face starts getting covered in sweat, then soaking into the HMD.

Could it be designed to sit off your face? Have air holes/ fans? Replaceable material? Or will we just have to deal with it until we have VR contact lenses?

Almost off topic, but whenever I think of HMDs + treadmills I have a vision of someone running through a beautiful virtual grassy field, smiling and laughing, and then *oops*, tripping and landing with an HMD smashed into their face.
I'm unfortunately one of those people who gets a really sweaty face with even mild exercise, so it really won't be an option for me for working out. I think so that I can enjoy playing, I will be installing a computer CPU fan(s) on the bottom, sucking air away from the area. I know it's probably somewhat more then mild exercise, but after playing paintball for about 5 min, I can barely see through the damn goggles they give you, and they have a lot of ventilation in them.
cameni
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cameni »

brantlew wrote:I would love to see the Outerra engine and datasets be used for this purpose.
I was actually planning to control my treadmill from the engine, with display(s) mounted up front. I thought for a sec that Rift would be great for it, but it really would not work. Even with the mounted display, when playing a movie where the camera turns quickly I have tendency to turn too and misstep. Can't imagine how badly I would be able to crash with Rift immersing me away.

Hmm, maybe only if I was forced to hold the handles in the Rift mode, with the emergency brake activating otherwise ...
With some controls on the handles for turning.
Outerra
Balor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Balor »

cybereality wrote:You can buy first-person cycling/running DVDs for cheap online (around $20-30 each):
http://www.vafitness.com/collections/run-collection
Not in 3D, but for this type of stuff its probably OK.
Yea, I know about that, but you would not be able to watch it on the rift, and why you would want to, given lack of 3D and ability to look around?
brantlew wrote:I would love to see the Outerra engine and datasets be used for this purpose.
Wow! That would indeed be perfect! I'm not sure that level of detail at 'cycling-level' would be sufficient, though... Perhaps artificially adding a speed multiplier to liven things up a bit? But It looks extremely promising.
rhinosix wrote:One thing I've been wondering is how hot and sweaty it's going to get under an HMD if you start physical activity (Get your minds out of the gutter). :)

Yea, that is a problem that I did not (and should have) foreseen. That should be one of the points to be addressed by consumer version, I guess. I also get pretty sweaty with exercise, and unlike Vuzix Rift is supposed to wrap around and stay close to your face. Perhaps a replaceable, more ventilated outer part? Can be an optional accessory, I guess.
wavefunction wrote:I can relate to the OP. I live in Seoul and cycling isn't all that beautiful here either, unless you like being hit by cars.
Yea, tried it, didn't like it :P.
wavefunction wrote: Anyway, I don't see how it would be that hard to come up with a cycling solution for the Rift. Once Arma II/III is supported by the Rift, it would be pretty easy to come up with a biking simulator as Arma games have lots of scenery and a functional bicycle with freelook. Making a bicycle course is something you could cook up in the game's editor in less than 3 minutes if you wanted to and people could easily come out with custom riders/bicycles as well as custom islands.
Good idea! But unlike road biking, offroad riding without force feedback would be less immersive I guess... perhaps you can use buttkicker for that? Though this is one of aspects of reality I'm not that keen to emulate - and in fact went as far as buy a full-suspension bike. Even our city roads have HUGE holes you cannot ride around.
wavefunction wrote: The only problem is input and speed information. The Leap can recognize objects... maybe it can be programmed to recognize your feet on an exercise bike and calculate speed based on your intensity. If the Rift's tracker will be able to recognize incremental leans, that can be used to steer (exercise bikes have fixed handles). So pedalling and leaning on a standard exercise bike with the Rift and the Arma III engine could technically be a solution, if the Rift's tracker and the leap are up to it. Or maybe the Kinect... or maybe you could even tape a Razer Hydra to your foot. :lol:

In any case, I don't see this as a difficult task and I'm more than eager to try it out.
Oh, this is easy. There are bluetooth wireless cadence (crank revolution counters, work by attaching a magnet on the pedal spindle and a base on the frame) and speed meters (magnet on wheel - base on fork).
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/products/usb-stick
Not cheap, but quite userful outside of indoor training.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

cameni wrote:
I was actually planning to control my treadmill from the engine, with display(s) mounted up front. I thought for a sec that Rift would be great for it, but it really would not work. Even with the mounted display, when playing a movie where the camera turns quickly I have tendency to turn too and misstep. Can't imagine how badly I would be able to crash with Rift immersing me away.

Hmm, maybe only if I was forced to hold the handles in the Rift mode, with the emergency brake activating otherwise ...
With some controls on the handles for turning.
Nice to see the main programmer of the Outerra engine on this forum!

IIRC, you stated on Outerra's forum that you have a devkit Rift coming your way, and you will likely support the Rift in the Anteworld game/Outerra engine. If you are still planning to do so, there is a thread where you can inform this forum and roadtovr.com about it: List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift.
cameni
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cameni »

jf031 wrote:IIRC, you stated on Outerra's forum that you have a devkit Rift coming your way, and you will likely support the Rift in the Anteworld game/Outerra engine. If you are still planning to do so, there is a thread where you can inform this forum and roadtovr.com about it: List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift.
Outerra is in the list already; back on the Kickstarter's comment board I have exchanged a few messages with one of the guys who were creating a list of sw with planned support for the Rift. Just now noticed it got into Wikipedia too :)

Our plan has not changed since then, I'm patiently waiting for some docs to show up. Rendering should be easy, we'll see how the tracking part will work.
Hopefully it's all going to be as cool as I'm imagining it ;)
Outerra
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@cameni: Welcome aboard. Love the Outerra project. The work you guys are doing over there is just mind-boggling!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

There was an arcade game similar to Pilotwings called Prop Cycle that used a bicycle-like controller, I guess it would be nice with the Rift :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0sZbCSASU[/youtube]
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:There was an arcade game similar to Pilotwings called Prop Cycle that used a bicycle-like controller, I guess it would be nice with the Rift :
That game was awesome!
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Have been thinking about this for years on and off. Anyone ever get anywhere? I've seen some vids on youtube that looked good. Would like to get something going myself.

Return to “Oculus VR”