Variable Technologies NODE KORE (for headtracking)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Variable Technologies NODE KORE (for headtracking)

Post by pierreye »

Found this while surfing engadget website. Basically it is a accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer with bluetooth 4.0 connectivity (should provide low latency). The device is expandable with other module for added new functionality. I'm not sure if it support windows 7 but it is build for mobile devices initially. I can see this as another potential device for headtracking.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Variable Technologies NODE KORE (for headtracking)

Post by cybereality »

Here's a link for the lazy:
http://www.variabletech.com/products/

Seems like an interesting kit.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

If oculus is smart, it won't keep the IMU it has to itself. In that case, this technology here will be almost entirely irrelevant, as nrp's tracker could connect to a REAL computer at half the cost with (presumably) quadruple the sensor rate.

The other sensors you can connect to arduino for pennies on this dollar, though I admit that the wireless aspect is useful, but I don't know if it is worth the extra hundreds.

Though, if I could get ahold of an infrared thermometer with a couple KHz sensing rate, that would make my day. (Off-topic I know, but I'd love to make a scanning camera with it!)
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

zalo wrote:If oculus is smart, it won't keep the IMU it has to itself. In that case, this technology here will be almost entirely irrelevant, as nrp's tracker could connect to a REAL computer at half the cost with (presumably) quadruple the sensor rate.

The other sensors you can connect to arduino for pennies on this dollar, though I admit that the wireless aspect is useful, but I don't know if it is worth the extra hundreds.

Though, if I could get ahold of an infrared thermometer with a couple KHz sensing rate, that would make my day. (Off-topic I know, but I'd love to make a scanning camera with it!)
Our tentative plan is to make our tracker available as a separate unit to developers. This thing looks pretty awesome, but I wish they would show off their tracker a bit more. They claim it is capable of "measuring physical motion in space". Their demonstration application only shows a changing graph, would have been nice to show off the real capabilities.

The possibilities for other modules seem more interesting, it would be awesome to have a geiger counter that interfaces with my phone!
Malfate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Malfate »

PalmerTech wrote:it would be awesome to have a geiger counter that interfaces with my phone!
While were at it have a built in taser/ voltometer to go with it so you can measure it as its going through the body ;)
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I looking for wireless tracker only as I'm not using backtop but wireless HDMI. The only product that might help to turn USB devices into wireless is WUSB (wireless USB) such as this one although the guys in the commercial looks like a snake oil seller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVsCKDj0HT0

http://www.goodway.com.tw/ca/product2.a ... 0&subid=62
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

PalmerTech wrote:it would be awesome to have a geiger counter that interfaces with my phone!
http://hackaday.com/2012/01/15/turn-you ... r-counter/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”