NVIDIA Licencing policy: who will pay for shutter glasses ?

3Dward
One Eyed Hopeful

NVIDIA Licencing policy: who will pay for shutter glasses ?

Post by 3Dward »

Nvidia are now only adapting their stereo drivers for financialy contributing hardware manufacturers.
Let's look at the possibility that a shutter glasses manufacturer will buy a licence in the near future :

There are about 30 to 40 manufacturers depending on how up to date this listing is : http://www.stereo3d.com/shutter.htm.
Since they all roughly work the same way, if one brand is supported, they will probably all work...
The question to Mr nVidia is simple: Who do you think will want to pay for all the others ?
We could try waiting for an international shutter-glasses manufacturer collective to be created in order to equaly share the adaptation costs... ok I got it now, this won't happen, shutter glasses are a thing of the past, let's leave them down like XP. :?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Interresting. I was just wondering if this is an official statement by nVidia, or speculation?
As for one shutter glasses manufacturer funding the driver adaption so all can work; I believe that this won't happen as any manufacturer that would fund the adaption of the driver to work with their solution will surely put in the work to make sure it only works for their solution. I think the standard DCC will not be used in the future, or will only be able to be enabled to work when deveices with certain device codes are used. While this could be hacked to work with other solutions, it will take hardware intervention to work correctly.
If this is the way nVidia are going, lets all pray that iZ3D solution ends up much better then the nVidia drivers and we can use them with many different solutions for a reasonable price.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

android78 wrote:Interresting. I was just wondering if this is an official statement by nVidia, or speculation?
As for one shutter glasses manufacturer funding the driver adaption so all can work; I believe that this won't happen as any manufacturer that would fund the adaption of the driver to work with their solution will surely put in the work to make sure it only works for their solution. I think the standard DCC will not be used in the future, or will only be able to be enabled to work when deveices with certain device codes are used. While this could be hacked to work with other solutions, it will take hardware intervention to work correctly.
If this is the way nVidia are going, lets all pray that iZ3D solution ends up much better then the nVidia drivers and we can use them with many different solutions for a reasonable price.
I doubt it's technically possible for drivers to distinguish the actual type of shutterglasses since drivers just make the screen 'flicker' for lack of a better term and the glasses then 'adapt'. i.e. a one-way stream. Nothing comes back from the screen to the cpu. So they have 2 choices:

1. make a new type of shutterglasses that is specifically designed to work with certain drivers, excluding others
2. form a shutterglass makers guild - everyone chips in depending on company size.
3. nicely ask nvidia to provide shutterglass support
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

I'll pay for good shutterglasses drivers, though not probably not from Nvidia. Their dropping support makes it difficult for me to trust them, plus I find in FPS's with their driver s I always have to push the HUD and sometimes my weapon clear off the screen in order to get good depth.
authoreyes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by authoreyes »

Given how much I love gaming in 3d, I would gladly pay for a rock solid driver....

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”