Oculus Rift HMD - The specs look awesome!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
3DWolf
One Eyed Hopeful

Oculus Rift HMD - The specs look awesome!

Post by 3DWolf »

The Oculus Rift is a VR head mounted display and has been funded as a Kickstarter project, supposedly shipping prototypes for developers in December for around $300. I will wait for the consumer version with better resolution.

Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

Oculus Rift at Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

Article at Singularity Hub that talks about the Oculus Rift HMD:
http://singularityhub.com/2012/09/13/20 ... computing/

What do you think?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Oculus Rift HMD - The specs look awesome!

Post by zalo »

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

OMG!! Can't believe I missed it! I need to cancel my pre-order for the HMZ-T2! I sure hope it does 3D. :o
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Been living under a rock for the past month 3DWolf ? ;)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Welcome to 2012!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

3Dwolf, are you joking or did you fail to notice that mtbs3D has an entire sub-forum dedicated to Oculus Rift with 4000 posts?
Not to mention its been the official forum for it. Lol
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
3DWolf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DWolf »

Namielus wrote:3Dwolf, are you joking or did you fail to notice that mtbs3D has an entire sub-forum dedicated to Oculus Rift with 4000 posts?
Not to mention its been the official forum for it. Lol
I did miss that!!! Bahahaha.
:o :lol:

I didn't know what it was until today when I saw the article on Singularity Hub. Now I see the forum on here. Perhaps they should re-name the forum "Official Oculus Rift VR HMD Forum", that would have grabbed my attention better. I was excited to read about it and quickly posted about it in the General VR discussion area.
I have been waiting for a decent HMD since the 90's when I was playing with Rend386/VR386 and Avril, the first popular VR world programs for DOS. Those programs supported a lot of different gadgets. I used them with shutter glasses for stereo 3D and I also had the Nintendo Power Glove for movement. I hope they get the Oculus off the ground soon. I guess I'll go over to the Oculus forum and lurk for a while to see whats going on.

Cheers!
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Chriky »

You guys really think this is going to materialize? They look like common scammers.

Vuzix all the way for me.
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

Chriky wrote:You guys really think this is going to materialize? They look like common scammers.

Vuzix all the way for me.
:woot :D
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Hehehe... thanks for the laughs mate.

It's one thing if you repost the news on a well traffic forum like NeoGAF... but it's quite funny to post this on what is pretty much the home of the Oculus Rift.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

To: all@nasa.gov

Whoa. Check it out guys. A robot landed on Mars. It's about the size of a car. Can't wait to see the pics from this thing. :woot

Article at ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mars-c ... FMwElGt1a4

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

3Dwolf, in your defense, I have to say most people I talk to outside mtbs3D seem to have missed it.

It seemed to me at first, that this has been all over the tech and gaming blogs, websites and news.
And that this is something that "everybody" in the gaming and tech world knows about.
I have even talked to some tech journalists that are still oblivious, so even tho Oculus Rift
blew its kickstarter goal out of the water, there is still a long way to go before its a household name.
Riftoholic

FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Yeah, I was totally surprised that none of my gamer friends had even heard of the Rift except from me; to me, it seems like the biggest news of the last few years.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I live pretty far away from my friends, 8 hours drive.
I was like guys guys guys, my rifts will arrive in december, I am going to go around to all of you and you can try it , I will bring a racing chair, steering wheel, hydras, Oculus Rift etc and I will show you something craaaazy.
We should make arrangements so I can come by and show you at least the oculus rift.

Most of them; Meh.. if Ive got the time, we'll see about that.
Riftoholic

Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Namielus wrote:I live pretty far away from my friends, 8 hours drive.
I was like guys guys guys, my rifts will arrive in december, I am going to go around to all of you and you can try it , I will bring a racing chair, steering wheel, hydras, Oculus Rift etc and I will show you something craaaazy.
We should make arrangements so I can come by and show you at least the oculus rift.

Most of them; Meh.. if Ive got the time, we'll see about that.
Yeah... I think VR in general is just one of those 'stained' concepts... people aren't going to get excited about it until they finally actually literally try out something that works like it should - like all the VR enthusiasts have always been hyping.

Of course the hype itself isn't good enough - you actually have to literally get this thing on people's heads before they get excited about it.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

At the risk of being utterly annoying, I'm literally going to take my Rift to every social gathering and shove it on people's faces so they will finally "get it". I know no other way to get the message across.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

brantlew wrote:At the risk of being utterly annoying, I'm literally going to take my Rift to every social gathering and shove it on people's faces so they will finally "get it". I know no other way to get the message across.
Yeah, I'm just going to walk around outside wearing it and wait for people to ask WTF I am doing.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

I guess you could say you're "Tripping the rift" *pinky next to mouth*

lol
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:
brantlew wrote:At the risk of being utterly annoying, I'm literally going to take my Rift to every social gathering and shove it on people's faces so they will finally "get it". I know no other way to get the message across.
Yeah, I'm just going to walk around outside wearing it and wait for people to ask WTF I am doing.
In the interest of public health and safety, please at least mount a camera (or two) on top of it and feed the picture to the inside. Wouldn't want you walking onto the road with them on. :shock:
imPsimon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by imPsimon »

What is the probability of the oculus team implementing support for something like "Leap Motion"?
Imagine watching your hands move in realtime when you sit in your spaceship cockpit or maybe grabbing the steering wheel of
racing car.
Man that would be awesome.

If you dont know what leap motion is it's a very low latency, high accuracy hand motion tracker.
Check these videos out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYgsAMKLu7s

It would probably need a larger surface working area then the one available.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think the Oculus team has said they are looking into hand-tracking solutions for the eventual commercial version, it probably won't make it into the dev-kit.
Hooves
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hooves »

android78 wrote:
cybereality wrote:
In the interest of public health and safety, please at least mount a camera (or two) on top of it and feed the picture to the inside. Wouldn't want you walking onto the road with them on. :shock:

You are absolutly corrent that it should have cameras on it, although not to avoid road traffic. But to serve as a connection to the outside world. the rift is going to need these for access to controllers, keyboards, and lets be honest food and Beer, while you are playing, and if nothing else, to reorient yourself with the real world if you feel you are getting Spacial Disorientation, or Spacial D.

I know there is another place to post this idea as well, but I just saw the "WIZ" product that you slide your feet around on a slippery surface. I cant imaging how not only tiring, unnatural that is, not to mention straight up dangerous. You are sticking a person onto a small platform while taking away any reference to the platform visually while asking them to swish around their feet, in an action packed game where one event may send a player ass over tea kettle trying to get away from enemy bullets.

While I do give this guy MAD props for actually taking this thing to prototype and even market. I see much simpler ideas that not only dont make you as tired, but are much safer for a user now completly immersed ina virtual world.

It is as simple as a ring on the floor that when stepped on triggers the motion of the player. Think of a very large D-pad. The only trick that some software could figure out is determining which direction you are pointed in. for example: if you take a step forward then rotate to the left, and take another step forward, in the game you actually move in the direction you are pointed rather than moving left (as thats the direction you are actually stepping in the large D-PAD) But I imagine, an excelerometer can solve this problem. Also to "RUN" in game you could just give a "double tap" of the foot on the ring and now you are running. THe accelerometer that is tracking your direction can also track your vertical postion, so you can crouch, kneel, jump or even go prone. Its simple, its energy saving, its safe. And the technology already exists. a simple Dance Dance Revolution pad could be a great "leaping off point" Pun intended.

I was think of a kinnect solution but what happens when you turn 180 degrees away from the connect? it wont know what way you are facing. Besides accelerometers are cheap, and could be used in a generic weapon as well. That way you have a way to move around the world (digital feat), a way to have direction in the game world. And, a generic weapon to use that is registerd in 3d space, by using an accelerometer, to track its postion in real time. Imagine having to actually AIM the weapon you are shooting! There would be a market as well for other "weapons" to purchase. say a generic pistol, and Rocket launcher. If you dont have them in REal life then you dont have them in game. It would be very similar to how you have to buy "instruments" for games like Rock Band.

Anyway let me know what you think. I wasnt able to get the cash for a DEV kit but will be getting a Retail Oculus as soon as they are out!!!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Hooves wrote:I know there is another place to post this idea as well, but I just saw the "WIZ" product that you slide your feet around on a slippery surface. I cant imaging how not only tiring, unnatural that is, not to mention straight up dangerous. You are sticking a person onto a small platform while taking away any reference to the platform visually while asking them to swish around their feet, in an action packed game where one event may send a player ass over tea kettle trying to get away from enemy bullets.
Blind locomotion of any kind is going to have some inherent risk associated with it, but it seems like the Wiz is no more dangerous than walking in place.

Feeling the effects of locomotion and physical exertion (including tiredness) is sort of the point of VR locomotion. I've heard the idea of a foot D-Pad before, but I'm not sure I understand the benefits of it. It's nothing like walking so it doesn't increase your body immersion. It seems like you would just feel like you are free-floating through space. Not much different than a hand controller. The Wiz does seem a bit unnatural but it would at least create a causal link between body action and motion.

Edit: Maybe if the floor D-Pad also required walking in place? So you would need to step forward and then walk in place to continue the motion. At least then you would get the proper sensory connection.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hooves wrote: I wasnt able to get the cash for a DEV kit but will be getting a Retail Oculus as soon as they are out!!!
Oculus is still taking orders on their website, so you haven't missed out:
http://oculusvr.com/
SouthernCross
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SouthernCross »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I'm just going to walk around outside wearing it and wait for people to ask WTF I am doing.
Sounds like you need an AR mod to avoid getting robbed.
brantlew wrote:Blind locomotion of any kind is going to have some inherent risk associated with it, but it seems like the Wiz is no more dangerous than walking in place.

Feeling the effects of locomotion and physical exertion (including tiredness) is sort of the point of VR locomotion. I've heard the idea of a foot D-Pad before, but I'm not sure I understand the benefits of it. It's nothing like walking so it doesn't increase your body immersion. It seems like you would just feel like you are free-floating through space. Not much different than a hand controller. The Wiz does seem a bit unnatural but it would at least create a causal link between body action and motion.

Edit: Maybe if the floor D-Pad also required walking in place? So you would need to step forward and then walk in place to continue the motion. At least then you would get the proper sensory connection.
You wouldn't feel silly shuffling your feet on the spot? I think mapping an area IRL so you could build on it in VR would probably feel more realistic, less chance of falling as you're on stable ground, moving normally.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

SouthernCross wrote:You wouldn't feel silly shuffling your feet on the spot? I think mapping an area IRL so you could build on it in VR would probably feel more realistic, less chance of falling as you're on stable ground, moving normally.
Certainly locomoting normally in a real environment provides the highest level of realism. That is my first choice but it requires a relatively large space.

For confined spaces, compromises have to be made but I do think the physical actions of moving your legs and transferring your weight are important - even just walking in place. Others have suggested things like harnesses that hold your torso while you swing your legs back and forth. This seems like the wrong direction to me. Once you are not supporting your own weight - the illusion of walking is completely broken and it is 100% gesture based then. Systems like skates or sliders (ie Wizdish) or treadmills all have some awkwardness but they at least allow you to control and transfer your own weight.
SouthernCross
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SouthernCross »

brantlew wrote:Certainly locomoting normally in a real environment provides the highest level of realism. That is my first choice but it requires a relatively large space.
Yeah, I imagine AR/VR games will eventually take over the old laser skirmish places around... they're already designed to run around in.

Seems a practical solution to me.
brantlew wrote:For confined spaces, compromises have to be made but I do think the physical actions of moving your legs and transferring your weight are important - even just walking in place. Others have suggested things like harnesses that hold your torso while you swing your legs back and forth. This seems like the wrong direction to me. Once you are not supporting your own weight - the illusion of walking is completely broken and it is 100% gesture based then. Systems like skates or sliders (ie Wizdish) or treadmills all have some awkwardness but they at least allow you to control and transfer your own weight.
Something like Xbox Kinnect would probably work better than skates or sliders, you can march in place if you want.

Treadmills are the best option available ATM but they are either bulky and good or compact and crappy.

I think building to the strengths of the device is easier than trying to compensate for it's weaknesses.
Hooves
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hooves »

brantlew wrote:
Hooves wrote:I know there is another place to post this idea as well, but I just saw the "WIZ" product that you slide your feet around on a slippery surface. I cant imaging how not only tiring, unnatural that is, not to mention straight up dangerous. You are sticking a person onto a small platform while taking away any reference to the platform visually while asking them to swish around their feet, in an action packed game where one event may send a player ass over tea kettle trying to get away from enemy bullets.
Blind locomotion of any kind is going to have some inherent risk associated with it, but it seems like the Wiz is no more dangerous than walking in place.

I think the walking in Place idea is probably the most realistic solution to the locomotion problem. But there are some very serious drawbacks, to any locomotion solution that has you physically generating said motion.

1. Jogging tends to create a lot of up/down jolting motion. which makes having something attached to your head/eyes wanna come off. Dont know you have ever had the opportunity to run with night vision on. Short of that story is it doesn't work very well. (I know NV goggels are much heavier, but the same idea applies)

2. SWEAT!!! the last thing I want is to have to wipe the sweat off the inside of my Oculus. That coupled with the first point makes things VERY difficult to keep on your face for long periods of time. Which takes me to number three.

3. Endurance. take a modern first person shooter, or even a slower paced game like ARMA. you run/walk ALOT. How long do you play? I usually play for several hours to accomplish a mission. asking one to walk and run for hours on end is akin to doing the insanity workout, most people who aren't in already top notch shape are going to struggle with this.

So using a simplified "step in the right direction" rather than constant 1 to 1 locomotion solutions, allows the player to stay in the game while catering to a much wider level of physical fitness, while keeping the impact on equipment from say walking/jogging to a minimum. While still providing a sense of "being there" and efficiently moving around the game world.

Just my Opinion.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”