My VR setup; DIY HMD with Hydra for head and gun tracking

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

My VR setup; DIY HMD with Hydra for head and gun tracking

Post by Chriky »

Just finished a very simple little demo to show basic VR off to other people. The HMD I made myself in the manner of the Rift. The tracking uses a Hydra with one controller stripped down and attached to the HMD. The demo uses Slab3D for the audio so if you use in ear headphones you should be able to hear where the gun is.

A note on the stereo rendering; my screen is 7" but my IPD is only about 60mm so I don't render the camera centre to the centre of the screen half. This might make it look odd if you try to get the stereo to work on a normal HMD where the centre of the screen is the centre of the image. You should zoom it in a bit and lose the outside edges.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaoS8HDKgA[/youtube-hd]
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: My VR setup; DIY HMD with Hydra for head and gun trackin

Post by brantlew »

Cool. It looks like you've been quite busy lately.

What are your impressions of the Rift-kit?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very cool. I can hear the sound even with my over-the-ear headphones, it sounds good.

Also, I know its a simple demo, but just wondering: what 3D engine are you using?
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

I was using an engine called DarkGDK. It's probably the best prototyping engine I've come across. It's ridiculously easy to get stuff working and its got quite a lot of features. I think its just DX9 but its easy to get shaders etc up and running. I'm not a fan of Unity etc where you develop in a 3d environment. I'll post the code for this tonight so you can see what its like
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Cool nice work

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”