Benefits of VR/ AR: The "Standing Desk"

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Benefits of VR/ AR: The "Standing Desk"

Post by rhinosix »

One thing I've been hearing a lot about recently is 'standing desks'. Basically a desk designed for standing to avoid the negative impacts of sitting all day.

Here's an article:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/ ... ding-desk/

VR/ AR could have a lot of health benefits in leading us away from less sedentary lifestyles. You won't have any problems getting a screen to eye level, or be forced into an uncomfortable sitting position if you're standing.

One VR setup I've been thinking about is just a simple bar to lean your butt against for support and balance, and an anti-fatigue mat to stand on.

Just wanted to mention this as something to think about.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Benefits of VR/ AR: The "Standing Desk"

Post by cybereality »

I agree. Stand-up VR/AR is certainly better for your health. Just like the Wii and Kinect got people off their butts, so can compelling AR/VR experiences.

Especially with something like an ODT, you can spend an hour in VR and have done your exercise for the day too. Very nice.
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

I spend a lot of time doing CAD/CAE work and I've switched to a standing desk. I would love a VR CAD system where I could push and pull my parts into place instead of clicking, clicking, clicking. I can see a major health benefit, and also emotional/productivity benefits from feeling closer to the hardware. I remember seeing a video (fictional) of someone building a virtual world for a woman in this way.
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Yes. This is by far one of the biggest and most underrated benefits of a well developed VR system.

In a very real sense, developing VR is a real moral and ethical imperative for society, with immense paradigm changing benefits in all areas of human computing interaction.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Still, you lazy ass Americans must get your ass outdoors and smell the roses more often :P
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

CyberVillain wrote:Still, you lazy ass Americans must get your ass outdoors and smell the roses more often :P
What roses? All we have is cars and asphalt. :D

With VR and smellovision I can go outdoors and smell virtual roses.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

rmcclelland wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:Still, you lazy ass Americans must get your ass outdoors and smell the roses more often :P
What roses? All we have is cars and asphalt. :D

With VR and smellovision I can go outdoors and smell virtual roses.
hehe. :P

North America has some of the most beautiful places in the world though :D

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”