Commercially available AR glasses

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Tripwire
One Eyed Hopeful

Commercially available AR glasses

Post by Tripwire »

Hi,

I'm new to this whole AR glasses thing, so i'd like to know if there are any AR Glasses available for buying (could be developer kits too). I'd like to use AR glasses for a project i'm working on.
I checked out the Vuzix website, but i couldn't find much about the AR of some of the glasses they offer. Most important is that for the AR glasses an SDK is available as i need to develop applications.

Thx!
AndrewRyan
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Commercially available AR glasses

Post by AndrewRyan »

Short Answer: There are none

Long Answer: Try again in about 5-7 years. At the moment all AR glasses have some pretty crippling design/technological limitations that pretty much make it impossible to develop commercially. Your best bet probably would be to just sit tight and wait for Google to develop their glasses technology.

Edit: Unless of course you have thousands upon thousands of dollars and are willing to buy military-grade tech.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

As far as I know, Vuzix still sells the 920 AR glasses. I have the 920VR and it's ok. The screens are serviceable but won't knock your socks off. The tracking is stable but a bit laggy. You can access all this stuff via Vuzix SDK. Here a review of those glasses.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13222

Sony just recently announced the AR version of the HMZ, but who know when they will release that.

Also, I would expect a lot of custom DIY AR modifications to the Rift will be coming soon. That would require a good deal more effort, but the end effect could be worth it.
Tripwire
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tripwire »

Hmm i just found out that, using the Vuzix 920VR with dfusion (unity3d plugin) and windows you can use augmented reality. I'm going to ask on the vuzix forums if this is also possible when compiling a versdion for an IOS device.

Anyways, i was hoping i could get a google glass explorer edition, but they only sold those at Google I/O. S i'm going to wait for that and in the mean time if i can build apps on iPhone and use the 920VR glasses i'm going to buy those!

Thanks for the replies!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There is also the STAR1200 from Vuzix:
http://www.vuzix.com/augmented-reality/ ... r1200.html

I got to try it out, its OK but probably not as cool as you think. The augmented aspect works decently, in the fact that you can see the outside world very clearly. However the overlaid graphics are not totally transparent and the FOV is low. So you see a semi-clear gray box around in the middle of your vision where the image is projecting. Depending on your application this may or may not be acceptable. For Google Glass style stuff (like text and info-graphics) this is probably OK. For an AR game that's supposed to be immersive, probably not. Anyway, for the price its probably better to DIY something yourself, and probably more fun that way.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”