HMZ Immersive Pleasure Device

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

HMZ Immersive Pleasure Device

Post by blzd1 »

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11/s ... lay-at-tgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7oCTRIUCk8

Sony to Show Prototype Head-Mounted Display at TGS

"What level of immersion is it possible for people to achieve? Now, a new entertainment experiment explores that possibility: The HMZ Immersive Pleasure Device head-mounted display. Developed as an open experiment, this model has a head-tracking system and live camera."
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: HMZ Immersive Pleasure Device

Post by blzd1 »

Sorry Zaptruder,

Didn't see your post.
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

I thought this was pr0n related for sure. :D

Sony does certainly have the right skill sets already in place to lead in the VR industry. However, it doesn't seem to have the right culture. To me, the HMZ-T1/T2 look like they were designed by people who think they know better than consumers. I doubt they prototyped over and over until is was right/comfortable, rather it was just designed and built.

If they've paid any attention to consumer sentiment, they would have completely changed the form factor to make it more comfortable. Now I don't really see them making something great until will after the consumer Rift has shipped.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Sony is obviously clueless. We know they demoed the Rift at E3 and surely they have heard the complaints about the HMZ form factor. How they could green-light this release instead of going back to the drawing board is beyond me. It just serves to weaken my already shaky faith in them. Between the lack of imagination with the Move, the failure of the Vita, and now the HMZ debacle, these guys just seem to have their heads up their a$$es when it comes to gaming.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Yeah, I'm in two minds. Sony appear to be making some progress, but for all their money, they seem to be focused on making something that looks futuristic and good on a fact sheet rather then a really great experience. It amazes me that they still have such a poor layout of UI with the PS3 after all these years. It is really clunky and ugly, giving me little faith that they are able to create good products anymore!
The tech they create might be good, but they really need to sort out their final delivered product.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”