Argh! Stuck between two HMDs, Cinemizer and ST1080

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Argh! Stuck between two HMDs, Cinemizer and ST1080

Post by DH1900 »

I would really like a HMD because it meets my entertainment requirements (being able to watch movies in a bunkspace) rather well but I'm stuck between the ST1080 and the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED. I'm afraid the HMZ-T1 is off the list because it's mains powered and the Rift has too great a FoV for comfortable movie watching.

Basically, I want to go for the ST1080 for the resolution and FoV while the Cinemizer tempts me because it's an OLED display and the optics are better (independent dioptre compensation adjustment). I'm concerned that the poor contrast ratio of the ST1080 will temper my enjoyment but the idea of using it as a screen replacement instead of having to cue up movies on the laptop screen as I imagine I'd have to do with the Cinemizer.

Can someone please reassure me that the ST displays are good enough for movie watching, put me off it completely by telling me that they're completely unsuitable or present me with a nice alternative (OLED and 720p with battery/USB power would make me a happy bunny). I know I've PM'd a couple of you already and I thank you for your past input.

Thank you very much for your time.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Argh! Stuck between two HMDs, Cinemizer and ST1080

Post by brantlew »

I vote ST1080. A 10 degree FOV difference is too much to ignore and the high resolution results in unparalleled image detail. The gray wash-out on the sides during dark scenes is a real bummer, but I think the pluses outweigh the minuses on this battle.

PS. As far as power goes. I am able to power my ST1080 from my laptop USB just fine, but results may vary. Have you considered getting an AC batter pack for the Sony? A cumbersome setup, but you will definitely get the best movie experience that way.
Last edited by brantlew on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Cinemizer seems like an OK choice, but it doesn't seem to be available yet? Is it for sale somewhere?

Honestly for straight video viewing you don't need super high resolution. I use the Vuzix Wrap 310 to watch video on the iPod, and the resolution is only 428 x 240. Not high-def my an means, but it looks fine for watching a quick anime episode or whatever. So the Cinemizer's WVGA res is probably OK. That said, a good 720P set like the Sony does look pretty nice. However its bulky and uncomfortable, plus the huge control box makes it not portable at all. The ST1080 doesn't sound bad either, and the resolution is great. Since I haven't used any of the choices I can't say for sure whats better though.
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DH1900 »

brantlew wrote:I vote ST1080. A 10 degree FOV difference is too much to ignore and the high resolution results in unparalleled image detail. The gray wash-out on the sides during dark scenes is a real bummer, but I think the pluses outweigh the minuses on this battle.

PS. As far as power goes. I am able to power my ST1080 from my laptop USB just fine, but results may vary. Have you considered getting an AC batter pack for the Sony? A cumbersome setup, but you will definitely get the best movie experience that way.
With regards to a battery pack, combined with the size of the HMZ control box I'm afraid that's just too much stuff to wrangle in a bunk space. Thanks for the input (both to you and CR). The cinemizer is available to preorder from a German company called easy entertain (they literally only sell the cinemizer OLED which is a bit fishy but they're listed by zeiss as the only dealer).
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

We have ST1080 and it has proven to be better than expected (There was so much negative tone on the users but we were positively impressed).

Just keep in mind that the USB powering needs 1500mA output that is on the limits of what USB2.0 can do or 3.0. Many laptops work just fine and the ST1080 will work. But for example one of the computers here the ASUS gamer laptop G71 doesnt give enough USB power for the display. While some old IBM laptop works fine. So there is a risk of it not working perfectly. Depends on how the laptops manage the power distribution between USB ports and apparently that can be very random (Its on the edge of the USB what ST uses). You will see the device shutting down in certain frequency once a couple of seconds depending how much the USB power can feed.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I still use a small battery pack I purchased just to be safe and to extend the laptop battery. Just make sure you get one with 1.5+ Amp output. I can give you suggestion if interested.
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DH1900 »

brantlew wrote:I still use a small battery pack I purchased just to be safe and to extend the laptop battery. Just make sure you get one with 1.5+ Amp output. I can give you suggestion if interested.
Thank you, but I've already got a wonderful 12000mAh battery with a nice 2.0A port.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I just put my order in and now I'll spend the next month and a half going mad waiting for it to ship, clear customs, ect.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Check the ST1080 forums. They still haven't caught up with all the back-orders and you should expect a 1 or 2 month wait.
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DH1900 »

brantlew wrote:Check the ST1080 forums. They still haven't caught up with all the back-orders and you should expect a 1 or 2 month wait.
Tell me about it, the estimated ship date is September 25th. Something tells me that I'll get it then if I'm lucky.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”