bought my iz3d after lurking here awhile! any tips?

Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

bought my iz3d after lurking here awhile! any tips?

Post by Arlum »

Hey guys,

I dug around through all the topics posted here and across the web. most of negative feedback i read from the IZ3D seemed to be from people ...like many of you say.. dont appreciate the technology and how hard it is to perfect. I couldn't imagine playing games in 3d until i ran across this monitor on newegg. I then realized there are other ways you guys set up to get a rag tag system goin, which is pretty sweet. I was absolutely addicted to stereograms when I was in school, so this is just awesome.

I just ordered my IZ3D today through newegg. I guess i just need to make sure to install new driver from site, tweak the left eye panels gamma, and possibly lower the overall brightness down of the whole setup (so ive read). I can't live w/o dual monitor so I plan on setting my current monitor (i just bought it really...then just couldnt help but purchase IZ3D :roll: ) on 2nd pci graphics card. I have read this works fine....seems no reason it shouldnt.

let me know if you know of any beginner slip ups, can't wait go get WoW and some other FPS's running.

On an unrelated note, my graphics card wouldnt recognize my new DVI monitor. I had to plug a vga and the new dvi in at same time, then clone the display in the dual monitor options in nvidia control panel... to make it force open the dvi port. anyone had this issue? I think ill need to fix this before my IZ3D arrives. I read somewhere that possibly uninstallin driver and reinstalling with the dvi monitor plugged into port1 might fix it, ill do some more digging.

also....the 3d drivers..are just extra software that you isntall correct? that stack and interact w/ the normal nvidia drivers? any tricks such as best nvidia forceware drivers to use?

thanks for any input!

Cd
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: bought my iz3d after lurking here awhile! any tips?

Post by nubie »

Arlum wrote:Hey guys,

I dug around through all the topics posted here and across the web. most of negative feedback i read from the IZ3D seemed to be from people ...like many of you say.. dont appreciate the technology and how hard it is to perfect. I couldn't imagine playing games in 3d until i ran across this monitor on newegg. I then realized there are other ways you guys set up to get a rag tag system goin, which is pretty sweet. I was absolutely addicted to stereograms when I was in school, so this is just awesome.
Welcome :)

Arlum wrote:I just ordered my IZ3D today through newegg. I guess i just need to make sure to install new driver from site, tweak the left eye panels gamma, and possibly lower the overall brightness down of the whole setup (so ive read). I can't live w/o dual monitor so I plan on setting my current monitor (i just bought it really...then just couldnt help but purchase IZ3D :roll: ) on 2nd pci graphics card. I have read this works fine....seems no reason it shouldnt.
What functionality are you looking for exactly? I have up to 3 PCI-E cards in my system (not an SLi or tri-sli rig either), and they work fine. The only thing is some people say the nVidia driver turns off extra cards when you are playing in a full-screen game, I don't know about that, I haven't done enough testing (I might try it today). They say using a cheap card with another driver (AMD/ATi is the other option I guess) will allow you to keep a walkthrough or chat window up while you game. In fact there are Ati cards that are native PCI-e x1, so you could plug it in on your motherboard (I just ran into a 7300GT model of PCI-E x1 card! http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1045/3 ... index.html Likely very expensive, if you can find one at all):

You can get a $24 PCIe wearout header and cut the back out of it. http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/expres ... p-749.html
Or use a proper x1 to x16 model for $15 more: http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/expres ... -1648.html
(the cards and motherboard "train" on connection to detect the number of lanes in use, and then connect across as many as are available http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/ ... page3.html )

Then put a low-profile card into it and move the holes in the bracket (or drill/cut a blank bracket). This will keep the secondary monitor from conking out at high resolution, or being slow and degrading system performance on that pci bus (it will share the bus with all PCI devices in the system, this can contribute to instability the more information you try to pump into it.)

This is my card for use in multi-monitor setups on non-sli motherboards; all hail the mighty dremel:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/PCI ... 4446028994

I don't recommend this for a couple reasons, 1 I sliced through a signal wire on the only signal pair left (x1 remember?), necessitating a patch, but I also cut through a power plane and had to reconnect the DRAM voltage supply to 12v (I used the fan header, as this card was originally fanless).

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/PCI ... 6179949778

Arlum wrote:let me know if you know of any beginner slip ups, can't wait go get WoW and some other FPS's running.

On an unrelated note, my graphics card wouldnt recognize my new DVI monitor. I had to plug a vga and the new dvi in at same time, then clone the display in the dual monitor options in nvidia control panel... to make it force open the dvi port. anyone had this issue? I think ill need to fix this before my IZ3D arrives. I read somewhere that possibly uninstallin driver and reinstalling with the dvi monitor plugged into port1 might fix it, ill do some more digging.
I am unsure of what you mean, when connected only to the system and it was booted you couldn't get anything? If you have a dual-head setup and you hotplug a DVI into a system that booted with one monitor detected windows won't activate multi-monitor support (I can't tell you how many times I tried to play a movie or clip for my brothers, only to be forced to reboot in the middle of something when I plugged in the TV, or switched to it on my input box)

You should be on the latest beta drivers, check our download section or Guru3D.com.
Arlum wrote:also....the 3d drivers..are just extra software that you isntall correct? that stack and interact w/ the normal nvidia drivers? any tricks such as best nvidia forceware drivers to use?

thanks for any input!

Cd
Most people will get the pair of new drivers, remove their old ones completely (in add-remove programs, if on an nforce motherboard just choose "video only" to remove), then do the mandatory reboot.

When it tries to detect the card, cancel the install and run the nvidia installer. Once that is done reboot when asked. Then install the stereo drivers and reboot again.

Finally you should be able to use the stereo drivers properly. (note you may need to use a registry fix called "sedonadisable" to get back your classic control panel with all of the 3D options).

That is the nVidia drivers. I would use the latest nVidia drivers (Edit: without the stereo nvidia drivers), and then the iZ3D stereo drivers with them, I don't know enough about those, so somebody else will have to tell about them (Will the nVidia NeurOK front/back stereo mode work on an iZ3D monitor? Edit: it looks like it would, but the quality of the iZ3D drivers are better.)
Last edited by nubie on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

you kinda got on a unrelated(to me it seems) tangent and lost me.

I use currently a pcie 16x 8800gt as my primary card. I also have multiple old PCI graphics cards so i run one of those in a normal PCI slot. I used nvidia control panel to only focus on the main monitor when playing games....so i haven't noticed any effect running multiple monitors while gaming, and yes they are all nvidia. And yes i use it for web browsing, chatting, ventrilo, etc while gaming without having to alt tab around.

now.....were you saying you dumbed down an old PCIE card to run only in 1x by cutting off some headers instead of taping like that toms hardware link did? and did you do this so it would treat the card differently and not bog down your main card? If so I haven't noticed an issue with my setup so I'm not sure what or why you had to do that.

To be honest i cant remember if i even tried restarting my PC with only a dvi plugged in, I just remember swapping out vga to dvi and receiving no signal. Maybe it IS as simple as you say..put dvi monitor into slot 1.and reboot..ill try that haha. I thought i may have to reinstall driver w/ the dvi plugged into the what the card recognizes as port 1. Reason i mention this is cuz i ahve to clone over both my dvi ports to get 1 dvi signal...which obviously wotn work w/ my IZ3D since it requires both ports. I'm sure its fixable i haven't tried yet ill goof with it tonight.

thanks for the reply
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi! welcome to the baord!

there is a really easy and cheap way to use teh second monitor.. but it does not allow you to use it while you play. the idea is to use a monitor cable doubler (like a "Y" connector which doubles the connectors) and to connect the montiro there.. this allwos you to use the second monitor every time the iz3d drivers are not enabled...

bye

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Oh, sorry, I thought you were asking about multi-monitor for other uses than gaming.

Namely texture editing while 3D modeling, Photoshop, watching multiple 720p or higher video streams (I could get 3 720p videos to run on my 3ghz Athlon64 single core), or anything with a lot of bandwidth.

If you are just chatting or something than the pci bus would be fine, but as I say pci is shared bandwidth with everything on the bus, whereas each PCI-e channel is dedicated.

Removing the video load from the bus can speed up your system if you are currently saturating your PCI bus (I don't know what still runs on that bus, Audio, HDD controllers, LAN, keyboard/mouse, USB? maybe it depends on the chipset). So it may not show a benefit for you, I just know that in media heavy apps I would get a system bog down while it attempted to shove all that data over the PCI bus.

I did just make that card to connect over a PCI-e x1 connector, it got me a lot of bandwidth to run movies etc.

I am sorry I got off on a tangent.

The 8800GT will need to use the iZ3D drivers, and as far as I know they are card independent, so install with your current drivers.

Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

hmmm you may have a point there...

I recently installed a PCI HDTV tuner and watch tv on my second monitor and it's very unresponsive, and when streaming a HD channel its almost impossible to navigate it while gaming on my main. That the onlyl thing i do that makes the two clash.

so you are saying each pci-e type has its own bandwidth......now where does the normal PCI fall into this category, is it shared with all the PCIE?

this is unrelated to the 3d monitor but, that'd be sweet if i can get my 2nd monitor to not freeze up while running my HDTV tuner, but all i have is 1 PCIE card and then some PCI cards. Have to head off for work ill check back with you later thanks!

cd
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

See the picture here, down in the middle of the page:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/pci.htm

Or better yet the second one here:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/ ... e/pcie.ars

From page 4 http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/ ... pcie.ars/4 :
Unlike in a shared bus topology (edit: PCI), where the devices must collectively arbitrate among themselves for use of the bus, each device in the system (PCI Express) has direct and exclusive access to the switch. In other words, each device sits on its own dedicated bus, which in PCIe lingo is called a link.
Your Southbridge* connects the PCI bus. It can be connected to your Northbridge# a number of ways, from HyperTransport, to DDR, to Quad DDR, to even a PCI-e link on a x4 width.

Sorry to open a can of worms on you with all this conversion to PCI-E, but now you know (cue Paul Harvey voice) the rest of the story.

* Basic I/O functions, like PCI, audio, usb, hard drive/CD/DVD, and LAN

# The high-speed bus for the CPU to your PCI-Express, and the rest of the system. Sometimes the memory also if you are on an Intel processor.

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Just to throw this in:

We recommend that you use the iZ3D Drivers with the iZ3D Monitor.
We are always updating and you will probably have a better experience than using the older nVidia stereo drivers.

Either one you choose, make sure you only have one installed at a time. Having the iZ3D Drivers and the nVidia stereo drivers installed at the same time may cause problems.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Just a quickie...

When setting up your monitor, make sure it's positioned so that it is at or above your eye level or there is noticeably more ghosting.

Also, make sure to disable VSync and Fraps if you have it installed.

Playng through COD4 atm: Simply WOW :P

Greetz Welder, Sharky.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

RAGEdemon wrote:Just a quickie...

When setting up your monitor, make sure it's positioned so that it is at or above your eye level or there is noticeably more ghosting.

Also, make sure to disable VSync and Fraps if you have it installed.

Playng through COD4 atm: Simply WOW :P

Greetz Welder, Sharky.
Ah yes, thanks for telling him that tip :)

Grettz to you as well. :)

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”