Need decent quality low weigth plastic mirrors

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Need decent quality low weigth plastic mirrors

Post by CyberVillain »

We talked about beam splitters earlier this year, I never got to starting making one, but now when I've tested the Sony HMZ as a FPV HMD I'm more motivated to get SBS Stereo images from my Quadrocopters little camera

If the extra weight is centered on the copter it can take a payload of 100-200 grams, at 200 grams the battery time is below 50% of original so not very practical. So around 100 grams, but thats if the weight is centered, the camera on the copter is at the tip of the nose (Pic showing the camera)

I bet the weight of the beam splitter cant be many grams before the copter gets unstable, you can maybe use a counter weight at the aft, but still I really need to find light weight stuff.

My friend as a CNC rigg so I can create light weight mounting for the mirrors using aluminum or some composite material, but were can I find descent quality mirrors that are light weight (And easy to cut btw)?

Optical hardware experts like Palmer probably have a good answer :D

Thansk guys
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Need decent quality low weigth plastic mirrors

Post by PalmerTech »

The lightest thing you can use is mirrored mylar sheets, very lightweight!

Getting a correct SBS image is going to be really tough, though. :( You will have to do some warping to compensate for the angle of the images. I used to think it would be simple, but after working with some people on SBS mirror attachments for smartphones, it turned out to be hard.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

PalmerTech wrote:The lightest thing you can use is mirrored mylar sheets, very lightweight!

Getting a correct SBS image is going to be really tough, though. :( You will have to do some warping to compensate for the angle of the images. I used to think it would be simple, but after working with some people on SBS mirror attachments for smartphones, it turned out to be hard.
Cool, will check that out. Do you have any blueprints on optimal angels etc?

Thanks!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Supermylar is highly reflective, 99.8% in the best one I think.
However its so thin and flexible you can cut it with scissors,
and you would have to glue it carefully to the shape you want to get an even reflection.
tiny air pockets would make the surface uneven and reflect all over the place.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”