Oculus Rift Kickstarter Product Clarification

paratay
One Eyed Hopeful

Oculus Rift Kickstarter Product Clarification

Post by paratay »

There is NO factual information in relation to what the Actual product looks like, Does it look like the Rendered Device in the Video?

So if I pledge $300 what exactly do I get with it and what does it look like? So which product do the $275 pledgers get?

Does it include the tracker? I know it mentioned 6DOF Tracking on the Specs section however still not certain. If it does have a Tracker in this, is it the HillCrest FreespaceUSB?
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Product Clarification

Post by German »

It's not a product, it's a dev kit. There is a big difference between the two and if you are not comfortable with the difference, you may want to wait for the consumer version.

Kickstarter is not a store and you shouldn't think of the things you pay for there as products nor even assume you will receive them in a timely manner, or at all. It's a real, real bad way to be let down and out money. I'm not trying to imply the Oculus Rift dev kits won't be delivered or PalmerTech is going to run away with the money, just speaking in general about Kickstarter.
Nobsi
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nobsi »

From the Kickstarter FAQ:
Would you please provide a picture of the Kickstarter developer kit that will arrive in December?

The render from the Kickstarter video is the latest concept for the developer kit that we're toying with. At this time, we can't say for sure what the final developer kit will look like (we're still experimenting with form and weighting to ensure maximum comfort) but we're confident everyone will be pleased with the result. Stay tuned for more details!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The reason some of the facts about the device are unclear is because it doesn't exist yet. The Kickstarter is funding the *development* of the device. So no one really knows what it looks like because there are only prototypes at this stage (which they show in the video, or any of the E3 videos with John Carmack). Also, this is not a consumer product like you buy in a store. Its a dev kit, meaning its mainly for developers to create software for the device. And honestly, who cares what it looks like if its a 110 degree FOV HMD for $300!!!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

paratay wrote:There is NO factual information in relation to what the Actual product looks like, Does it look like the Rendered Device in the Video?

So if I pledge $300 what exactly do I get with it and what does it look like? So which product do the $275 pledgers get?

Does it include the tracker? I know it mentioned 6DOF Tracking on the Specs section however still not certain. If it does have a Tracker in this, is it the HillCrest FreespaceUSB?
$300 gets you a full developers kit with a Rift headset in a shell that is as good or better than the render, motion tracker, cables, and anything else needed to develop software using it. $275 gets you a unit you have to build yourself that is similar to the "duct tape" version Carmack showed at E3, and it also includes the motion tracker.

We will show off more as more is finalized, and if people don't like what they see, they can either upgrade or un-pledge as they see fit. :)
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"And honestly, who cares what it looks like if its a 110 degree FOV HMD for $300!!!"

Well, me for one. While I would stil be happy use it no matter what it looked like, a nice plastic case would be better. It's also about the usability of the item. Most of the stuff I have arround me I built myself with duct tape and tie wraps. While it works well it is a pain when before I can get out of my chair I have to remove head tracker, headphones, haptics gear and whatever else, all kinda fragile because it is held together by tape and voodoo.

The render on the page looks good, but it looks like the front of the HMD is made from glossy plastic. I would reccomend changing this as it is going to get covered in finger prints really quick with the amount of times it will be handled. A non glossy finish will also be easier to manufacture (less scrap parts) so less expensive, and reduces the chance of delays if a batch has to be scrapped. I'm sure you already knew this, but wanted to point it out as sometimes obvious things somehow manage to slip through.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
German

Post by German »

bobv5 wrote:"And honestly, who cares what it looks like if its a 110 degree FOV HMD for $300!!!"

Well, me for one. While I would stil be happy use it no matter what it looked like, a nice plastic case would be better. It's also about the usability of the item. Most of the stuff I have arround me I built myself with duct tape and tie wraps. While it works well it is a pain when before I can get out of my chair I have to remove head tracker, headphones, haptics gear and whatever else, all kinda fragile because it is held together by tape and voodoo.
Read this over and over again to yourself: This is a dev kit. This is not a commercial product for consumer use. This might look pretty but it could be ugly.

Function over form is the name of the game here. Palmer has already stated that he wants something robust for handling. Whether it shows fingerprints is not a priority. Matte or glossy simply doesn't matter as far as manufacturing waste.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I know it's not a priority, but it would be better not to show fingerprints. As it would also be easier to manufacture, it seems like a better choice. At the design stage it is a simple choice, but when it gets to manufactureing glossy products are more difficult as tiny imperfections are clearly visible. I can give more detail if you want, but I will do it in a PM or different thread because I'm not sure it belongs here.

(Unless manufactuting techniques have improved massively in the past 5 years or so, then I might be wrong)
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The finish is not finalized, but I have a rubberized soft touch plastic fetish, so that is a very likely direction. ;)
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I'd probably 3d print my own enclosure for the "duct taped" version. I'm curious though, will that version come with everything necessary (except tools and 'duct tape') or will that be only the display, lenses, and sensor? Also would it be possible to get, ahead of time, enough metrics/diagrams to start modeling something that can be 3d printed?
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

PalmerTech wrote:The finish is not finalized, but I have a rubberized soft touch plastic fetish, so that is a very likely direction. ;)
Pervert :lol:

I like that stuff too, durable, looks nice, perfect for the outside. Maybe not a good choice for holding the glass in place. I'm sure you have an engineer can tell you for certain...

Just don't use a thin coat of it that wears off and looks patchy and disgusting and gets all over your pockets and makes people angry, like the first usb drive I bought!

Edit- LeeN, I think I read that it only needs glue. It is so busy round here now though that I can't be certain.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Personally think glossy looks sexy, but honestly wouldn't care if the thing came in HOT PINK.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Glossy looks sexy until somebody touches it. Then It do not. Compared to what we had a year ago, it really doesn't matter. For $300 pink with yellow spots would be ok. Smeared with feces would be ok. I simply wanted to point out that as he can chosse the finish glossy was maybe not the best.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Didn't realize this was a forum full of perverts. Though.... since it feels like home, I suppose I should have guessed. Thankfully, I suspect we are of the vanilla flavor at best....... well, except for Bobv5, of course!..... jk jk jk:) (the "v" obviously stands for vanilla)

Return to “Oculus VR”