ST1080 Still Not In

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

ST1080 Still Not In

Post by Synexious »

I just found an email from SMD dated June 21. It said that there had been a quality control issue which halted shipping, but shipping had been resumed, and my ST1080 would be shipped in 7-8 days. Over a month later, I still have not received it. Is this normal?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: ST1080 Still Not In

Post by brantlew »

From what I understand they had another issue with one of their parts suppliers that caused another 2 week delay - so in total there have 4 weeks of delayed shipping so far. They did in fact resume shipping late last week and there are several people that have confirmed tracking numbers and are receiving units today and tomorrow.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hopefully they will use this time to actually fix these quality control issues and deliver a working product.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Well there is one guy posting that got his today. Claims that he has clear corners. He's only the second person I have heard that claims this (the other being GameVeda who I don't trust at all).

In related news, they released the scaling firmware that scales 720 to 1080 for full screen console gaming.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

That is good news! Mine has still not shipped, I am happy to be in the second batch as they resolve issues. Going to send my unit off to Cyber to be reviewed, hopefully it has clear corners.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I'm quite impressed at how professional the company has been in releasing updates and working to resolve their QC issues. Way better than Vuzix etc.

If they could release a version of the ST1080 with a high FOV, that would be awesome. I dont know enough about their lightguide tech to know if that would be possible however.
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

I just got the shipment notification on mine. I ordered it on the last day before the preordering discount ended.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Good, it will be nice to get another data point. Looking forward to cyber and Palmer's impressions as well.
XenapZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XenapZ »

I ordered mine 23/6, any idé on when I can expect delivery?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I now have shipping confirmation. I didn't see a date, though. Probably 2-3 weeks.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It should be within about 4 days of your shipping confirm. You can find track your package online.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

It has arrived.
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

And your take ?... :lol:
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I just unboxed it and tried it for about half an hour. My father, who is very sensitive to screen flicker, immediately said it was horrible. I noticed a slight flicker when using it to display a computer desktop. I switched to Wipeout HD on PS3 and noticed the same subdued 3D effect as with my HMZ. The screen is noticeably smaller than the HMZ, and the rainbow effect is noticeable on the desktop when you move your eyes quickly, though not in games. I tried the included earbuds and there is noticeable buzzing during silence. The ST1080 is actually wearable, though I still tilted my head back to prevent slippage. I don't use my HMZ simply because it's so uncomfortable, even with the Blazin' 3D comfort straps. I also like that the ST1080 control box is handheld, and the device is easily portable, unlike the HMZ. The HMZ is 720p, but 1080p downscaled text looks great on it, and its image is superior to the ST1080's. I'm interested in modding my HMZ into ski goggles. I have only used the ST1080 very briefly so far, and will use it more before making a final judgment. I want to try more desktop usage. So far, I'm disappointed. I will likely sell the unit. 1920x1080 resolution in an HMD is simply astounding on paper, but SMD has not created a device that astounds in actuality. Both of the HMDs I've tried have disappointed me, and I think a projector or triple monitors would be more immersive. Palmer's Oculus Rift will have an immersive FOV, but low resolution. Still, I'm keen to try 360 degree FPS, and the Oculus is the best choice for that. So I may sell both my HMZ-T1 and ST1080, and get an Oculus Rift and a projector instead.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Thanks Synexious
The screen is noticeably smaller than the HMZ
Thats a deal breaker for me right there. Shame, I really wanted to support SMD as they seem a good company, but I dont see any compelling reason to buy low FOV HMD's anymore with the Rift coming out.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Synexious wrote: So I may sell both my HMZ-T1 and ST1080, and get an Oculus Rift and a projector instead.
As much as I love VR, I honestly don't play with the HMZ as much as I'd like (mainly cause its torture, not because it doesn't look cool). Got an Optoma projector (GT750) and that thing rules. Especially since I only paid $650 and I have a monster 90" screen or whatever. Still doesn't have the "pop" as a 1080P 120Hz monitor, but the image is so huge it doesn't matter. But for straight immersion I don't think anything besides the Rift will do.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”