Holodeck: Full-motion VR gaming environment with Oculus Rift

benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Holodeck: Full-motion VR gaming environment with Oculus Rift

Post by benz145 »

Hey folks. I just finished up a feature on a story that I think you'll be interested in. I spoke with James Iliff, the producer of Project Holodeck, about an ambitious project to create a low cost full-motion VR gaming environment that will support two players and will make use of the Oculus Rift HMD among other hardware. In fact, Palmer Luckey (aka PalmerTech here on the MTBS3D forums) is the lead hardware engineer for the project. The full rundown on the project is here:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/07/20/proj ... -rift-hmd/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Holodeck: Full-motion VR gaming environment with Oculus

Post by cybereality »

Cool.
nathanburba
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nathanburba »

@benz145 Thanks for posting such a long, well thought out article!

You can learn more about the project here: http://www.projectholodeck.com.

We're mainly concerned with developing fun body based gameplay in a VR environment. Hooking the RIFT up to an FPS with an Xbox controller is cool, but we want to bring the rest of your body into the VR experience. This means thinking about the hardware tracking side of things as it relates to gameplay. Right now we're looking into using limited body detection, hand inputs, real space tracking (optical), and 360 degree gameplay (wireless hardware).

As more project details become available we'll post on MTBS3D for advice and input. It should be interesting!
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Looks cool!

There are a bunch of questions that leap to mind right off the bat, so I'll just limit myself to two main ones for now:
1) The palm-mounted button is actually a rather nice idea. How do you make sure that you always have it associated with the proper skeleton? An initial calibration pose?
2) How much real space do you guys need to get the 20' square play space? Are you using anything to extend the FOV of the Kinect cameras?

It seems that Eurogamer is either watching the forums or Road to VR, since they've picked up the story as well.

Good luck, guys!

Return to “Oculus VR”