This game would be terrifying with a good HMD and head-track

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

This game would be terrifying with a good HMD and head-track

Post by benz145 »

There are a few games out there that already exist that would be perfect for an HMD like the Oculus Rift with head-tracking.

One of them is Slender. It's a low-budget indie game, but it's quite frightening (and it's free). Even without an HMD it's scary, I can only imagine what it would be like with head-tracking and the Oculus Rift (or similar).

I don't want to spoil the game before you give it a try (playtimes are very short, usually less than 10 mins). Give it a shot and maybe some of you will be interested in hacking it up for an HMD (keep a clean pair of pants handy).

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vql3a6fbjq0qbbv

(yes, shady link but it is the game and nothing more, the game hasn't been fully released it's more of a concept, but scary regardless.)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: This game would be terrifying with a good HMD and head-t

Post by cybereality »

Ok, I will check this out.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

very scary, I can't play it without light on. Can't image playing it with an HMD...
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Yikes, I got scared watching the YouTube video on it! They'd even turned off all the sounds and replaced it with commentary.

Let's NOT put this on an HMD.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I just woke the missus up when I screamed :D So yes, it had some jumpy moments :P

Played it with a Sony HMZ, and Sennheiser PC350 (almost the sound that was scariest)

Annoying as hell that you cant invert mouse
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Im a bit disappointed, my girlfriend is very easily scared, so I rigged the cellphone video camera and let her try my HMZ (Custom modified so entire outside world is blocked out) hoping to get some good footage of her being scared to depth.

The first thing she says when the game starts, oh, what cozy forest sounds :P

And without spoiling the game, when the scary stuff starts she didnt even react :/
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I believe that sound is more important for immersion than most people are aware of. I'm very easily affected by sound and in regards to games like doom3 or hl2-ravenholm it's almost necessary for me to play without sound to bear through the levels... :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”