Google glasses - Cost

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

Google glasses - Cost

Post by blzd1 »

Hello,

According to information towards the end of this video, google glasses will cost like $1500:

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/06/28/new ... n-detailed

However, another source said the glasses will cost less than $600:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

So who do you think is correct? Tbh, $1500 sounds like a ridiculous amount. I just can't see them selling that many of them at that price point. Maybe IGN is way off?

Edit: According to IGN, $1500 is the cost they will sell them for to developers. Does this mean the final cost to consumers will be more or less?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Google glasses - Cost

Post by cybereality »

$1,500 is for the pre-release dev version. A consumer product will likely be under $1,000, probably closer to $700 (no facts here, just my guestimate).
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Really disappointed with Google glasses so far, I think they cannot meet expectations of crowd so they try to do something to not be a total disaster.
In fact they didn't demo-ed any of glasses capabilities, except video / photo capturing / streaming (with bunch of hardware in backpacks).
But you already can do this with Go-pro cameras, only with much better quality.

1.5k for crappy glasses-mounted camera, with eye-piece viewer? And by the way, only for attendees of Google I-O conference as far as I know.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
JohnF30
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnF30 »

^this.

Is it going to be released for sure? What are they marketing as? A lightweight camera with internet capabilities?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I personally don't see myself using them, but they are likely to be popular with the same people who spent their whole waking time with a Bluetooth headset in their ear thinking it made them look futuristic and cool.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'll get one. Not for $1,500 though.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”