Benq MW512

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
Zealotki11er
One Eyed Hopeful

Benq MW512

Post by Zealotki11er »

Got this projector a while back. Always wanted to try 3D with but could never figure out how to set it up.

I have a AMD 7970 GPU.
Have connected the projector to GPU via VGA Cable
Have set the resolution @ 1024x768 @ 120Hz
Bought DLP 3D Glasses.

Now i just dont know how to get 3D ON.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Benq MW512

Post by cybereality »

In terms of hardware you should get DLP-Link glasses, there are a bunch on eBay for around $40-50.

The best software to try is probably the Stereoscopic Player. It doesn't support Blu-Ray, but it does work with basically anything else. You may have luck with the "Software Pageflipping" mode. Although, in theory, you can lose sync with the glasses if the video is too intensive. But if you have a good computer and restrict it to 720P or lower you should be fine. In terms of gaming, the IZ3D driver has a 120Hz mode that you can try (I've had problems with it though). DDD also has a generic page-flipping mode you can give a shot. Basically the problem is if the game is running too slow (under 60fps) then you may get random eye inversions (loss of sync). You can also try the AMD HD3D mode for all of these packages, I have heard reports of that working on non HDMI 1.4a projectors. So its worth a shot. But you may have to experiment a bit with settings.

Basically the issue boils down to the fact that the projector (Benq MW512) is an HDMI 1.3 projector and doesn't support the new HDMI 1.4a 3D standard. So compatibility is somewhat sketchy. You could also look into getting a converter box, like the Optoma 3D-XL ( http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-3D-XL-Conv ... B0047ZH3CW ). Have not tried that personally, but should work with any DLP-3D projector.

Hope that helps.
Zealotki11er
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zealotki11er »

I tried DDD first. Got everything working fine. The big problem i am facing is that when i Activate 3D Sync via the Projector menu the screen becomes really dark and add glasses on top of that and its even darker. is this normal?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Not sure about that model, but I know some displays have different brightness/contrast settings when in 3D. It may be something you can adjust in the menu. However it will be darker with the 3D glasses with any solution. Since the shutter glasses are blocking the light from each eye alternatively, you will naturally lose a certain amount of brightness when in 3D. This is normal. If it is *really* dark then maybe I would try a different type/brand of glasses. Hard to say without seeing your setup though. Also, what glasses are you using?
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Apparently the most recent version of Stereoscopic Player can play 3D Blu-rays, so long as you have a Blu-ray decrypter like DVDFab/Anydvd and a mean machine with top specs. With this setup Stereoscopic Player can play directly from the .SIFF files on the BD disc. I have tried it but my meagre machine couldn't handle playing two 1080p sides. It worked but only in slow mo. :cry:

Gae43
Zealotki11er
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zealotki11er »

I know glasses make it darker which is normal just like at the movies but the problem is as soon as I turn 3d mode on in the projector it gets darker and lose a lot of colour accuracy. Add glasses on top of that and the 3d exporence is so bad that going back in 2d feels like 100 yeas of screen technology back.
CoolRonZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CoolRonZ »

i also own the mw512, i was able to get certain videos to work in 3D with TotalMedia Theater 5. stereoscopic player was a joke, same with iZ3D... i also bought a viewsonic V1P1(i think thats the model) wanted to put it in 1280x720... but its a 1024x768 native 3D projector.. what gives? I gave up and bought a Optoma GT750E and it does exactly what its supposed to do.... now I can play all 3D content on my puter, 3D games with DDD is amazing!!! and my PS3 is just plug and play with the GT750E. stepping upto HDMI 1.4a is an awesome experience !!! :woot
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I also have the Optoma GT750E. Great projector, maybe one of the best in terms of compatibility.

Return to “3D Projectors”