Xbox 720 and AR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
vulkan
One Eyed Hopeful

Xbox 720 and AR

Post by vulkan »

Did anyone else see the leaks around the Xbox 720?

Looks pretty damned awesome. Short version is : new faster Xbox hardware + dual Kinect sensors + mobile devices driving AR glasses = kinect games with the 3D content in your living room (i.e. not on the screen).

cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Xbox 720 and AR

Post by cirk2 »

I don't think so.

1080p 3D Yes.
HMD no.

Consoles are the most mainstream thing to sell and HMDs don't have the acceptance needed. The standard consumer is normally making a fuss about lightweight and slim polarized glasses, so there won't be AR glasses or HMDs in mainstream for a couple of years.

Also: if Microsoft puts the hardware performance up by the about stated in the presentation (5-8times over XB360) they will leave the PS4 far behind (which is rumored to get AMD CPU and GPU in the performance class of 79xx). That would result in much wasted recources since most games are multi plattform and will be dumbed down for the lowest plattform (which then would be PS4 or WII-U).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Probably just an experimental R&D thing (maybe even a fake document) but it would be nice to think Microsoft would do this.

I still don't think the technology is there to do this justice, but maybe for the Xbox 1080.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I hate consoles, I have invested over 2k on my PC rig to get the best performance possible, and most of the games released look like crap because they are designed for a machine with less performance than my PC had a decade ago!
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

CyberVillain wrote:I hate consoles, I have invested over 2k on my PC rig to get the best performance possible, and most of the games released look like crap because they are designed for a machine with less performance than my PC had a decade ago!
+1 to this.
Good that there are still companies like CD project Red arround that push out games like witcher2 that simply look awesome compared to the 6 Jear old new games like Modern Warfare 3

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”