itheater Maxsight 3D HMD - has anybody tried this ?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

itheater Maxsight 3D HMD - has anybody tried this ?

Post by ancjob »

Hi
guys - itheater latest offering - Maxsight [ http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Video-Glasse ... 25633808a1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

and

http://www.amandamall.com/theater-80-in ... 42853.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iTheater 80" 3D Viewer 720P MAXSight
Overview
* Spectacular 3D Viewer [side-by-side format]
* Intelligent and comfortable design
* Replacement for any 2D or 3D TV set or screen
* Download and watch 2D/3D video
* High resolution LCD technology
* Large, clear display
* Multi-format player supporting High Definition 720P video

MP3 audio and many other AV formats

specs:

Display: Two TFT LCD display chips
. Viewing Size: 80" virtual screen (at 2.5m distance)
. Resolution: 640X480 (VGA)
. Color Depth: 24-bit input
. Viewing Angle(FOV): 32° diagonal
. Video Signal: NTSC/PAL/SECAM automatic selection
. Audio: Double-channel stereo
. Connect with PC: High speed USB2.0
. Storage Capacity: Flash memorizer: 4GB extendable to 32 GB TF card
. Battery: 1800mAH, 4 hours for video playing
. Video Format: RM/RMVB, AVI, FLV, MP4, DAT, VOB, MPG
. Music Format: MP3, WMA, APE, AAC, OGG, RA, MIDI, AMR, FLAC
. Image Format: JPEG, GIF, BMP
. Multi Languages: English,Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
. System: Windows2000/XP/vista
. AC Adapter: Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz; Output: DC 5V 1000mA
Accessories: . Multi-format Player Built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
. USB Cable For data transmission and charging.
. DC Cable For wall charger
. User's manual
. AC Adapter Compatibility per customer's request
Features: . 2D/3D display (Support 3D programs of Side By Side format)
. Support programs of 720P
. Big screen simulationhigh definition and resolution,superb audio and video quality
. Micro LCD display, environmentally, friendly, no radiation and no harm to your eyes
. Advanced optical design, safe and comfortable

they claim it has built in 4GB media player capable of playing the various video formats upto 720P
and memory can be extended to 32GB as well...

what do you think guys?

anybody tried this - plz review...i find the mkv format missing - not sure that this 'd play 3d SBS mkv 720p file....but looks promising if not using the crappy kopin modules........
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: itheater Maxsight 3D HMD - has anybody tried this ?

Post by PalmerTech »

They are 640x480, and have a 32 degree FOV. It is almost certain that they use Kopin modules.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:They are 640x480, and have a 32 degree FOV. It is almost certain that they use Kopin modules.
well kopin or NOt if this 'd play HD 3D mkv encoded in SBS 3D format with nice quality image - what one 'd want further ? for me it will be ok ....btw what else it' d use except kopin....as emagin/OEM sony modules are too expensive for the unit retailing for usd$300 :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Its not clear if you could use this with a computer (or other source device) it could be limited to the built-in player. I guess it doesn't sound horrible for $300, but I bet its using the same Kopin VGA modules from all the other cheap HMDs, so its going to have the same issues. And it doesn't mention MKV so it probably wont support it. Even of the files listed I bet there could be problems with certain codecs like Xvid or x264. It seems interesting but I don't think I'd buy it.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Its not clear if you could use this with a computer (or other source device) it could be limited to the built-in player. I guess it doesn't sound horrible for $300, but I bet its using the same Kopin VGA modules from all the other cheap HMDs, so its going to have the same issues. And it doesn't mention MKV so it probably wont support it. Even of the files listed I bet there could be problems with certain codecs like Xvid or x264. It seems interesting but I don't think I'd buy it.
plz do not forget the wrap 1200 is also using the kopin displays ! not too sure myself if this really 'd play all of the HD avi formats with ease unless somebody tested it with those 'HD' formats at all...

price is still high.....for around usd$150 - i'd have tried it .....

btw cyber - headplay gets beaten becoz of the optics only else it's way ahead of emagin becoz of screen....hence my curiuosity......

plz let me know where headplay got the screens from...they are definitely NOT kopin...although very high quality ? - i am kinda 'curious' to know...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:plz let me know where headplay got the screens from.
They got them from Syntax-Brillian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax-Bri ... orporation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: plz do not forget the wrap 1200 is also using the kopin displays !
Probably true, but I believe the optics are Vuzix custom. And hopefully these new display modules will be improved from the VGA model.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: plz do not forget the wrap 1200 is also using the kopin displays !
Probably true, but I believe the optics are Vuzix custom. And hopefully these new display modules will be improved from the VGA model.

thanks for the info ....852x480 is not a major improvement unless the overall quality is superior as well....

so far it's been observed that all of the HMDs have the same issue - small exit pupil....since the screens are more or less reflective so the issue of finding the sweet spot always persists....i do not expect that vuzix 'd be over it by any chance..whether it's vuzix 920 or the latest 1200 series....

i wonder what makes them design small 'exit pupil' in the first place - why cannot they learn anything from emagin with it's huge eye-pieces.....wearing that thing [emagin] is another experience in itself....vuzix / HMDs makers do not learn from their rivals - dumb fools :evil:
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

It is partly the fault of the panels themselves, largely the fault of the cheap uncoated optics, and mostly not Vuzix's fault. Keep in mind that until the Wrap line, they did not design the optics, panels, or anything really. They just put Kopin modules in a shell, and those Kopin modules are, well, cheap. Kopin DOES make nice stuff, but the modules in the AV920/VR920 are not it. The Z800 optics are really nice, same basic design as the Olympus Eye-Trek lenses, but free form prism lenses are not something Kopin can sell for cheap. Thus, they stick with pretty basic optics.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:It is partly the fault of the panels themselves, largely the fault of the cheap uncoated optics, and mostly not Vuzix's fault. Keep in mind that until the Wrap line, they did not design the optics, panels, or anything really. They just put Kopin modules in a shell, and those Kopin modules are, well, cheap. Kopin DOES make nice stuff, but the modules in the AV920/VR920 are not it. The Z800 optics are really nice, same basic design as the Olympus Eye-Trek lenses, but free form prism lenses are not something Kopin can sell for cheap. Thus, they stick with pretty basic optics.
so the issue 'd be even in wrap 1200 - small exit pupil and finding the 'sweet spot' whether optics designed by vuzix or kopin.....one reason i hated headplay but i guess this will persist even with wrap 1200........i rest my case
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I'm hoping that the adjustable IPD on the Wrap 1200 will help with this; we shall have to wait and see...

I'm hoping they will start shipping soon; I'm still waiting. They certainly took my money fast enough! :twisted:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:I'm hoping that the adjustable IPD on the Wrap 1200 will help with this; we shall have to wait and see...

I'm hoping they will start shipping soon; I'm still waiting. They certainly took my money fast enough! :twisted:

well - headplay with it's superb reflective screen suffers from this issue as well of 'small exit pupil' despite having IPD and focus adjustments...whatever adjustments i do it still feels like watching the screen from 'peep' holes that barely let you see the screen....so i am not too optimistic abt the wrap 1200 either anyway let's see....... :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have no issues with the optics on the Wrap 310. The image is clearly in focus and not blurred on the edges like with older models (VR920, etc.). My main issue with the current Wrap model is that the LCD screens get a negative/darkened effect on them on the edges. This is typical for any TN panel when viewing at an off-angle. I am hoping this is fixed on the 1200 since it has IPD adjustments.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I have no issues with the optics on the Wrap 310. The image is clearly in focus and not blurred on the edges like with older models (VR920, etc.). My main issue with the current Wrap model is that the LCD screens get a negative/darkened effect on them on the edges. This is typical for any TN panel when viewing at an off-angle. I am hoping this is fixed on the 1200 since it has IPD adjustments.
cyber - can you plz tell me if the screen of 1200vr or wrap 310 is as good as that of headplay ?
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

cybereality wrote: My main issue with the current Wrap model is that the LCD screens get a negative/darkened effect on them on the edges. This is typical for any TN panel when viewing at an off-angle. I am hoping this is fixed on the 1200 since it has IPD adjustments.
The Wrap 920 does exactly the same thing. Like you, I'm hoping that being able to adjust the eyepieces will solve that problem. I've noticed that the smallest adjustments to the position of the glasses can make a huge difference to the picture contrast, so even if the IPD adjustments are very small, that may be all it needs.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:
cybereality wrote: My main issue with the current Wrap model is that the LCD screens get a negative/darkened effect on them on the edges. This is typical for any TN panel when viewing at an off-angle. I am hoping this is fixed on the 1200 since it has IPD adjustments.
so i was right - small exit pupil issue with wrap 920 as well.......which i expected ....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: so i was right - small exit pupil issue with wrap 920 as well.......which i expected ....
I don't think its an issue of the optics as much as an issue with cheap LCD screens positioned in a non-optimal position (since everyone's IPD is different). If you close one eye you can get the image in a good position, but the other one will be off. It is not blurred though, like you might get with other HMDs. The image is always clear and in focus, its just that the LCD screen is black. You can see this effect if you look at a normal LCD screen (like on a laptop) and move your head closer to the floor and look up at the screen.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: so i was right - small exit pupil issue with wrap 920 as well.......which i expected ....
I don't think its an issue of the optics as much as an issue with cheap LCD screens positioned in a non-optimal position (since everyone's IPD is different). If you close one eye you can get the image in a good position, but the other one will be off. It is not blurred though, like you might get with other HMDs. The image is always clear and in focus, its just that the LCD screen is black. You can see this effect if you look at a normal LCD screen (like on a laptop) and move your head closer to the floor and look up at the screen.

cyber - do you also have headplay ?

if you have - 1)how does the screen compare with that of 920vr ?
2)and the adjustments available for image ?

i do not have the wrap 920vr so curious regd the screen quality compared with that of headplay
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, I don't have the Headplay.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Sorry, I don't have the Headplay.
too bad - let's see if someone who has headplay may as well get wrap 1200 and have a comparison of the two...
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RejutkaLupex »

Sorry for the thread-necro, but I'd like to know if anyone knows anything more about these glasses?

At first glance they look interesting (and in a price range I'd be willing to afford), but I'm doubtful as to their usefulness - I'm not sure if they're only a media player or if there is a way to connect them to the PC (or anything really).
(Also if there is a way to replace those headphones.)

It's easy to find sites talking about them - using half a dozen names it seems - but all they talk about is how great they are and list their features (i.e. pure ads).
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

No way to connect them to a PC, unless you count composite+scan converter, which would be awful quality.

They are awful, too bad they look so cool. :P If you have a really limited budget, I would look into a used Vuzix headset. The Wrap 920 is getting cheap these days, and even the VR920 is not bad if you have a normal IPD.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I wouldn't bother with the VR920 either since support is so bad. The Vuzix Wrap 920 at least has better support and a decent price.
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RejutkaLupex »

PalmerTech wrote:No way to connect them to a PC, unless you count composite+scan converter, which would be awful quality.
I see.
Once again facts and reality ruin the day.
My wallet thanks you for the information. It doesn't yet know I'll probably have to buy something more expensive :-D
If you have a really limited budget, I would look into a used Vuzix headset.
Yeah, I thought about it. I guess I could plunk down the money for a new Wrap920 - but I loathe their design ideal (i.e. fake sunglasses). I happen to like the "dorky glasses" look.
I entertained the idea of buying a used VR920 for a while, but like cybereality said, support doesn't look too good - I've read it doesn't work with 64Bit systems and such.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Honestly it doesn't make much sense to get a cheap HMD, as they are mostly crap. If you want to get something decent you will be looking to spend around $800 for either the HMZ-T1 or the ST1080, and even those headsets aren't perfect.
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RejutkaLupex »

I was afraid of that conclusion. Yet I can't disagree. :-/

The ST1080 certainly looks interesting - though I'm not sure if I'll really use it enough to spend 800 Dollars on it (or more - transport and taxes and such).
Same would go for the Sony, if I didn't already distrust them on principle (i.e. DRM and viruses...).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”