LG Cinema 3D Quality Question.

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Arzus
One Eyed Hopeful

LG Cinema 3D Quality Question.

Post by Arzus »

Hi, I can't seem to find the right answer on the internet anywhere on this. Can you or can you not see the interlace lines when viewing 3D on LG Cinema or any other interlaced passive monitor? I don't really mind if the resolution is cut in half, but I just hate to look at a game or a movie with horizontal lines in it.

Thanks.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: LG Cinema 3D Quality Question.

Post by xhonzi »

I'm sure it's a little subjective. You can obviously see them when it's playing 3D content and you're not wearing glasses. For the 10 minutes I watched Tron Legacy at the store, I couldn't see any interlacing with either the store's glasses (the ones that come with the TV) or the Real-D ones I brought with.

Maybe I wasn't looking for it hard enough.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you look for the lines, you can see them. But they are not super obvious at first. From a distance, it probably won't matter. But up close, they are visible, yes.
Arzus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arzus »

Great, thanks to know that they are a little visible at close range, which is the distance I will most likely see 3D at. I would probably stick with active 3D for now since they are better quality and cleaner picture. :shutter
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

it really depends on the size of the display and the content that you are viewing. as others have mentioned, if you are up close, they are noticeable. this is more easily noticed on larger screens, ie 65" vizio vs 24" zalman.

anything that is only a few pixels large or practically horizontal will be noticeable when the glasses are on. i run a 1080p res on my desktop and text appears interlaced when the glasses are on. when they are off, it is not an issue. another small but nice bonus to this is that i can have stereoscopic images as my desktop background.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I saw the 23" LG Monitor version of this and I have to say, I was impressed.....the 3D looked great. There was pop-out and it looked fluid. There was some ghosting and the viewing angle was quite small but I was still impressed. I almost bought it on the spot along with a reduced Sharp 3D Blu-ray player but I resisted temptation. The reason? This model was £80 more expensive than the online equivalent and the sales assistant told me that they were going to have some crazy prize reductions on other 3D TVs during their Boxing day sales. I'll wait a bit longer then and see what comes up. It would be nice to get a bigger screen.

Compared to my age old Infocus DLP 3D shutter glasses setup...this LG Cinema 3D looked great.

Gae43
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

I have the 23" monitor and I don't see any interlace lines in 3D movies or games, it's visible in 2D when I still have the glasses on and 3D if I take the glasses off, but I don't notice anything in 3D with glasses on. I did notice jaggines is more visible though on some flat edges in games, but it don't bother me.
Also to be honest I have never really focused and tried to see if I can notice any interlacing in 3D.
Just my $0.02
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I'm thinking of buying this as an entry point 3D screen so I can watch the occasional 3D Blu-Ray movies and YT3D clips etc. I have a couple of questions in the know. Does this work with the YT3D player via the "interleaved" option? Also, I read somewhere that Samsung are soon to release their own passive 3D version but with Full 1080p rather than half vertical resolution. Does anyone know anymore about these? And if so, will they be coming in at a lot higher price because of the more expensive technology?

Thanks in advance

Gae43

http://house-on-haunted-hill-3d.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Gae43 wrote:Does this work with the YT3D player via the "interleaved" option?
Yes it does, although you may have to use the swap l/r option to get the correct alignment.

Gae43 wrote:Also, I read somewhere that Samsung are soon to release their own passive 3D version but with Full 1080p rather than half vertical resolution. Does anyone know anymore about these? And if so, will they be coming in at a lot higher price because of the more expensive technology?
I believe you are referring to their active retarder tech that was codeveloped with reald. They have recently dissolved this relationship and will not be producing these displays for consumer use. I believe that Samsung was unable to make this cost productive as they were basically sandwiching 3 tvs together in to 1 display.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

bgnome wrote:
Yes it does, although you may have to use the swap l/r option to get the correct alignment.
It'll only work with videos that use the native resolution of your display, ie. 1080p in this case I guess.
bgnome wrote:I believe you are referring to their active retarder tech that was codeveloped with reald. They have recently dissolved this relationship and will not be producing these displays for consumer use. I believe that Samsung was unable to make this cost productive as they were basically sandwiching 3 tvs together in to 1 display.
Yep it was cancelled, the reason given was a reorganization inside Samsung IIRC, not sure if that's really true, the cost may be the reason as you said.

I don't think the RDZ technology was basically 3 TVs in one, it's based on the ZScreen technology so it's probably more equivalent to a single eye of a pair of shutter glasses placed front of the display. I don't know how costly it can be though.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll wait for the New Year Sales on probably pick this up with a reduced 3D Blu-Ray player.
It'll only work with videos that use the native resolution of your display, ie. 1080p in this case I guess.
That's worth knowing. So it has to be native for the vertical lines to sync up. My Laptop probably won't be able to cope with the YT3D player at 1080p but my main computer (3.2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM) should be able to cope ok...I'll go and do some tests now. :)

Gae43
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:
bgnome wrote:
Thats not true. YouTube 3D is smart enough to scale to whatever resolution is necessary. So you can watch a 360P video in a window or full screen on a 1080P monitor and the 3D effect is fine. The Stereoscopic Player does the same. This is only an issue with games, but even some drivers can account for this (DDD) and scale intelligently without ruining the interlacing.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Fredz wrote:
bgnome wrote:
bgnome wrote:I believe you are referring to their active retarder tech that was codeveloped with reald. They have recently dissolved this relationship and will not be producing these displays for consumer use. I believe that Samsung was unable to make this cost productive as they were basically sandwiching 3 tvs together in to 1 display.
Yep it was cancelled, the reason given was a reorganization inside Samsung IIRC, not sure if that's really true, the cost may be the reason as you said.

I don't think the RDZ technology was basically 3 TVs in one, it's based on the ZScreen technology so it's probably more equivalent to a single eye of a pair of shutter glasses placed front of the display. I don't know how costly it can be though.
as cyber said, i can also confirm that YT3D does not have any issues with resolution. quality is definitely less than high bitrate media, but it works fine at 480p, etc.

i might not have been completely correct in my previous statement, but i know it was not simply the same z-screen tech they use in theaters. i remember reading about the process here:
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Samsu ... D-TV.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When our friend Gary Merson, the HD GURU, asked about Samsung's own newly announced "Z panel" technology (or RDZ panel, developed in partnership with RealD), Samsung explained that this is not currently being developed for the consumer market, but for medical imaging displays. The Z Panel effectively sandwiches two 1080p panels together with an active polarizing filter on the TV itself polarizing the light output from the left eye differently from that of the right eye. Passive 3D glasses can then be used to view a 3D image with no loss in the original high definition 1080p resolution. This contrasts with LG's and VIZIO's approach which uses a retarder filter to polarize each alternate row of pixels for left and right eye (thereby losing half the resolution).
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Thats not true. YouTube 3D is smart enough to scale to whatever resolution is necessary. So you can watch a 360P video in a window or full screen on a 1080P monitor and the 3D effect is fine. The Stereoscopic Player does the same. This is only an issue with games, but even some drivers can account for this (DDD) and scale intelligently without ruining the interlacing.
That's even better..no concerns over CPU limitations then...cheers

Gae43
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

bgnome wrote:as cyber said, i can also confirm that YT3D does not have any issues with resolution. quality is definitely less than high bitrate media, but it works fine at 480p, etc.
I was wrong on this one, sorry. I just tested it and the player adapts to the resolution of the display in fullscreen, so you won't have any problem as others rightly said.
bgnome wrote:i might not have been completely correct in my previous statement, but i know it was not simply the same z-screen tech they use in theaters. i remember reading about the process here
From RealD website :
"RDZ 3D technology adopts characteristics from RealD's Cinema System utilized in motion picture theatres around the world. The LCD based RDZ 3D display technology is integrated with the panel and syncs with the image stream to circularly polarize left and right eye images for full resolution high definition 3D video utilizing passive 3D eyewear."

It's difficult to find details on the RDZ technology, but I think it should work in the same way than their monitor ZScreen technology, which is basically only a LC screen (not LCD) add-on in front of the display.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Hey guys, I have just purchased the LG D2342P along with the Philips 3D Blu-Ray player BDP3280. I have an issue playing 3D Bluy-ray discs though. Although the picture quality is excellent, when in 3D mode, there is a horrible shimmering effect on moving objects. Also, it seems like there is frame delay between the sides which is noticeable when the scenes cut from one to another. It's as though the left and right sides are out of alignment. Is this something to do with the 1080p/24Hz output of Blu-Ray? I have tried 1080p, 1080i as well as 1080p/24Hz output on the Blu-ray settings but I still get the same effect. Other 3D side by side clips i.e. off YouTube look fine and don't have this shimmering effect which makes viewing almost unwatchable with 3D Blu-rays. Is this a problem with the current 3D Blu-ray technology or does it sound like I have a defective monitor or incompatible 3D player? I'm just in the process of returning this Monitor because of these issues.

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

In reply to my own reply ;) I think it's a cable issue. I was just using a bog standard HDMI cable instead of HDMI 1.4. The quote below (can't remember which website) seems to represent the problems that I'm having. Time for a cable upgrade then. :roll:
What HDMI 1.4 overcomes is the reliance of an alternating frame system to deliver 1080p 3-D by offering simultaneous 1080p streams. *This* is what HDMI 1.3 can't do. How this affects the end user depends on their 3-D display. It hasn't really been discussed in this thread yet, but all alternating frame 3-D systems will have (to varying degrees) "phasing" issues. Notably with motion at a sympathetic rate of the alternating cycle which is used. This can be seen with certain pans or motion in theatrical polarized Real-D, as well as the Dolby / Infitec system, which both uses alternating frames @ 144hz in order to be able to use one projector. Only IMAX uses twin projectors, and therefore avoids these potential phasing issues. The faster the alternating frames, the less obtrusive this type of artifact becomes. However- With a 3-D display device (be it a 4K display device that can offer L/R stereo content at 2K via polarization, or dual projectors) that doesn't need alternating frames, these issues can then be easily bypassed with 1.4, as it has the bandwidth to offer both streams in a better form.
Gae43
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Others may have more experience here, but it doesn't sound like a cabling problem to me.

The passive set should be taking the framepacked left and right images and putting them to the screen at the same time. 24 frames per second for BD, but probably refreshing at 120hz. I'm not sure why you'd be perceiving a delay between right and left images, but it's probably not the cable. As long as your 1.3 cable is "high speed" and by the fact that you're getting any picture, I'd guess that it is.

But trying another cable is usually fast and cheap, so I say go for it.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Horizontal lines are more visible in lighter enviorments like when you roam in world full of snow under open sky in ES V SKYRIM but they are not so eminent in same game when you are in dungeons

I have also not noticed interleaved lines at all in complete game play of DEAD SPACE 1 and DEAD SPACE 2

But noticed them in games like NFS Most Wanted in City Scenes

So Dark and Vibrant RED BLUE Colored games you won't notice
In games with lighter color shades you will surely notice them as whole scene is sliced with fine black lines.

Again its subjective and how you see them

They don matter much if you consider benifits of this Tech

Return to “3D Monitors”