E-Dimensional 3D shutterglasses, the scoop non 3d LCDs!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

E-Dimensional 3D shutterglasses, the scoop non 3d LCDs!

Post by Angmar3D »

12 hours of cockfiddling last night all the way into this morning at 7am, this sux REALLY BAD in 60hz(ghosting is much worse than anaglyph, iz3d interleave brings machine to halt, 6 core amd and 6950, 8gb WTF)...
Running Benq FP222W purchased in 2007, Just bought the edimensional glasses off amazon, the packaging was cheap and very reuseable, partialy opened already for a cleaner return(two staples instead of glue), as they are probably already expecting. T

he DRIVER is dated 2004 and comes on a home made CDR(packaging is from 2011)!!! My computer tried burning the last cd i made onto it!!! Tridef is an outdated version but upgrades itself, tridef is the only thing remotely of value that comes with this if u are AMD user without willing to buy inflated shite monitor!! I am not picky either, it's just not a benefit to the gaming, and certainly not worth the downgrade to single screen. Does anyone know if someone has figured out how to work this with eyefinity? Do i need x3 dongles??? It would so totally work, for the middle screen at least, the other two can be meh as long as they're visible.

Resident evil 5 was abysmal I tried every combination I could imagine, so far it was barely 3d, at best it was just inwards inside the screen, and with any depoth there was severe distortion and ghosting)

My DONGLE is defective, it randomly freezes in the on position every time i try turning a game off, tried disabling LCD mode then turn off, still freeze on. So if i want 3d, my monitor is interleaved until i turn my computer off and plug and replug the glasses. Will try ONE MORE TIME with BF3 which has tridef support and my FINAL VERDICT will probably be the same. Garbage not worth your money get nvidia glasses for same price. Was oodles of fun to try getting it working, but I give up.

Can someone please tell me how to use properly? I tried like how i set up IZ3d and everything in between but it's always not 3d enough, also tridef FOCUS needs to go way above 100 for the far setting, I was seriously annoyed because I "almost" had it until software limitations shut me down. IZ3d goes almost in complete circles for their adjustments why not tridef why limit to 100 focus? I need like 150-300 focus!!!! My eyes are better than normal too.

Also about monitor refresh rates, can't seem to set mine at 72hz in 1680x1050 but it does 75 and 60 ok. What I really want is 74hz forced, how may I do this? Powerstrip is a floppy cock and bends over to the edid, and there's no "test" or "apply" function for customizing the refresh rate. As soon as you punch in the number, PStrip borks your screen without asking you if u really want that first, then it doesn't change back just blank out of range and u have to press reset. That took about half the attempting, over 6 hours loving with various programs and refresh rate override tools, none can let you punch in a number and attempt without screwing you over time wise, so this is not viable. 60hz SUCKEd gonna try the od dnumber 75 now with bf3.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: E-Dimensional 3D shutterglasses, the scoop non 3d LCDs!

Post by WiredEarp »

Sorry mate, generally speaking, edimensional does NOT work with LCD's in any sort of useable capacity, at least in my experience.

Works fine with a CRT tho... 60-75hz however is not enough for flicker free 3D.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

ED glasses are a sham. False advertising really, they don't work on LCD displays 99% of the time.

Make sure to buy HDMI 1.4a equipment or go with something known to work like Nvidia 3D Vision (must buy an Nvidia certified monitor or projector).
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The others are right, your problem is not software, it is hardware.
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

Thanks I'm relieved it's not just my setup. I was originally trying to purchase an HMD from Vuzix, but they are picky about my prepaid cc, and then I came across this "too good to be true" deal. Sadly this is the same crap from 12 years ago(had a much better time playing Drakan: Order of the Flame with 3d shutters on my geforce256 back then), the only thing new is Tridef. I'll be keeping my tridef installed after I send it back, heh... At least something good came out of it.

So what's the verdict on the wrap1200? I have head tracking already so vr will not be neccesary. Is it worth the extra price over the 920 refurbished(refurbished is a really realistic price but only for the 920)?

As far as I can google, Vuzix is the only playable hmd at this price point. Any others? I sure found alot of knock offs! :(

And lastly, anyone thinking of selling their current HMD? I'm very interested in this technology.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Lots of discussion in the Virtual and Augmented Reality forums about the virtues of the various HMDs. Start here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13899

Summary:
Vuzix hardware is not very appealing anymore. The 1200 series in particular is overpriced and is only slightly superior to the 920 at double the cost. The 920 series is a much better value for the money.

The best consumer HMD's these days start in the $800 range. The Sony HMZ-T1 and the soon-to-be released ST1080 are miles ahead of Vuzix in terms of resolution, clarity, optics, and FOV.
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

Sounds like this tech should have been implemented for consumers long ago and the market has been salivating for it for the entire history of computing; there's just no option for the average consumer without going crazy in the spending aspect of it yet. This is just for games(my goal in life)damnit, it can't cost them anywhere close to that for manufacturing(certainly not vuzix from what I hear). It's obvious there's a massive hole in the market not being filled, it seems these HMD companies really suck at deciding who wants these things and how much they're willing to pay, as well as for details like quality and compatibility. The non vr wrap1200 can't even connect to a computer without compsite to dvi BS, the one on their site is like $40, I'm wondering will a standard RCA to dvi adapter do the trick? This sux everything = fake ripoffs!!! Even sony's shitte is not 3:1 aspect like I want!!! Anyone interested in starting a new company? lol. We can make somehting crazy like that stupid prism/priojector crap and sell it for way less, we'll make it Über cheap and terrible and make lots of dough!!
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

Tried again and the dongle was set to page flipped(purely by accident), tridef interleaved, I started fallen earth(pre existing profile in Tridef) and it was actually impressive... The bottom half of the screen was 3d, but anything above the center was garbage. Irritating. Has to be the dongle's fault if my screen is flcikering at two separate rates, right(tridef??)?

Shutters jive nicely with part of the screen no problem, and seem consistent! I think someone should re invent this dongle it seems really like it should be controlled through physical switch/usb+app and have at minimum 3 dvi/dp ports, and connect to two mini dual dp ports on video card. If they were to actually try "new and improved" and used updated tech it would actually be very competitive with 3d displays. I almost wanna keep these for future use but I know it's no hope.

This 120hz LCD requirement for passable 3d has now been exposed in my mind at least as mostly a marketing ploy because you have to have OCD to be bothered much by the flickering @ 75hz. @75hz 3d, from what little of glorious 3d I saw, I actually deemed an improvement over 2d!! Not saying it's better than a 3d display, but perhaps it can come really close if someone(AMD)finally implements it properly.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I don't think anyone would invest the money and time to do that with old monitors due to the variance hassles, especially considering the quickly dropping price of other established 3d solutions, such as passive monitors or 3D Vision clone systems. The amount of reward/effort is just not there IMHO.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you just want to game in 3D, the best bet is to get a nice 120Hz display (most are Nvidia only, but there are some for AMD like the Samsungs). Passive FPR monitors are also a decent option, and the prices are pretty low. HMDs are cool, don't get me wrong, but they are more of a hassle than a monitor for just straight gaming. Unless you have specific VR-type of applications in mind you're probably better off with a 3D monitor. The prices are actually pretty affordable. You can get a whole Nvidia kit (glasses and monitor) for around $500. Not bad.

And, no, its not just a marketing gimmick. Modern displays do not work like CRTs, where 85Hz or less may have been acceptable. They need to be made for 3D, and 120Hz refresh is one of the things that enables that. There are also other factors, which allow the glasses to sync properly with the display that don't work (for whatever reason) on old 2D LCD displays. And even if you could get it working on an old display, the ghosting and flicker would probably be too extreme to be worth it.
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

Thx for the info everyone I'm happy I started this thread. Going to forget about 3d eyefinity and just wait for a suitable HMD that doesn't cost as much as my whole computer just to see if it's any good. Ok, so definitely not interested in the current generation HMD lineup, gonna wait for 3 or so years and see what happens before spending any real money to have VR. I am mostly interested in VR gaming in particular(TDU2, ArmA2, games with TIR/freetrack support/hax), and i will probably be trying some map editors with the device.

I'm interested mainly in total immersion and good 3d but i will happily(temporarily)settle for less resolution until something good comes out. Can the wrap920/vr suffice until something feasible comes along? I doub't i'll be terribly picky about the low resolution as long as I'm feeling somewhat immersed and if the 3d is alright enough.

Also do i need to buy their special overpriced rca/vga adapter with the non vr wrap920 or can i go buy one for $3 at my local computer store?? Theirs is $40!!! Thanks again it's been enlightening. :ugeek:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Vuzix HMDs are not really immersive due to the low FOV. Most of them are in the 30-35 degrees range, while something like the Sony is over 50 degrees. Huge difference. I see you can get the Wrap920 for around $200 on eBay, and that's probably close to what its worth. So its not exactly a bad buy, its just not that great in general. Certainly it doesn't compare to the Sony HMZ-T1, or even other options like 3D monitors or projectors. And, yes, you do need the Vuzix VGA adapter if you want to use with a computer. This allows VGA to work with the Vuzix proprietary dongle, its not just a VGA-to-RCA converter. With a cheap adapter you will likely get low quality, and not all the resolution options you have with VGA.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Dont waste your money on Vuzix crap at this point.

As CR says, you'd be better off with a monitor, or if you want a HMD, just save for a ST1080, aHMZ-1, or a Rift once they are out.
Even an old Z800 is a better bet than a Vuzix HMD currently.

Even with a ST1080 or HMZ-1 HMD, the FOV is too low to experience real VR most of the time, all you are doing is experiencing 3D on a screen that hovers in front of your face.

For gamers, I suspect that a projector setup is still the best immersion, despite being limited to 720P.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Angmar3D wrote:Tried again and the dongle was set to page flipped(purely by accident), tridef interleaved, I started fallen earth(pre existing profile in Tridef) and it was actually impressive... The bottom half of the screen was 3d, but anything above the center was garbage. Irritating. Has to be the dongle's fault if my screen is flcikering at two separate rates, right(tridef??)?
It does not flicker at two separate rates, it's because LCD displays does not switch simultaneously all pixels but instead the panel is scanned so that pixels are switched one by one. And it's also becauso of the much bigger afterglow of a LCD panel than a CRT. To reduct the effect you saw, the glasses and dongle would have to be capable to close simultaneously the right and left side, but they are not, exept the edim wired glasses but the dongle does not allow that.
Angmar3D wrote:Shutters jive nicely with part of the screen no problem, and seem consistent! I think someone should re invent this dongle it seems really like it should be controlled through physical switch/usb+app and have at minimum 3 dvi/dp ports, and connect to two mini dual dp ports on video card. If they were to actually try "new and improved" and used updated tech it would actually be very competitive with 3d displays. I almost wanna keep these for future use but I know it's no hope.
HDfury 4 (3Dfury) is a 3D signal converter/demultiplexer for HDMI 1.4 to HDMI/DVI/VGA, it also have a VESA 3D sync port, there is a pre-buy option for adequate glasses but some customers bought it and are waiting for months (they received the 3Dfury but not the glasses).
Angmar3D wrote:This 120hz LCD requirement for passable 3d has now been exposed in my mind at least as mostly a marketing ploy because you have to have OCD to be bothered much by the flickering @ 75hz. @75hz 3d, from what little of glorious 3d I saw, I actually deemed an improvement over 2d!! Not saying it's better than a 3d display, but perhaps it can come really close if someone(AMD)finally implements it properly.
If your LCD display is capable to use 75Hz input, be aware that usually, this is just a feature for compatibility (or marketing) only and in fact the LCD panel itself is still driven at 60Hz, so that one frame on 5 is dropped.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”