How to disassemble a eMagin Z800 ?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cbwan
One Eyed Hopeful

How to disassemble a eMagin Z800 ?

Post by cbwan »

Hi,
a friend of mine has a problem on his eMagin, the top part that is supposed to restrain the rotation of the bottom part is sort of broken.

We haven't been able to open the top part, even when removing all the screws.
Is there a gentle way to open that, or do we have to gently break stuff ? :)

And once it's broken, is it easy to close again ?
Thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: How to disassemble a eMagin Z800 ?

Post by PalmerTech »

There is a very easy fix! :)

Just carefully peel off the foam pad, there are two screw holes underneath. Should be very clear what to do from there.
cbwan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cbwan »

Hehe thank you Palmer.
That's what I would have done if it were mine..
Balthazar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Balthazar »

Thank you very much Palmer this was the perfect tip ! (I precise: this my z800 unit and I'm a new "Vr Geek" introduced by CBwan)

As you seem to know well this HMD, perhaps you could give me another useful advice:

One of the two screens (the left one) is flickering briefly approximately every ten seconds, is it just a "too much used" sign and it will inevitably continue to flicker more, or this could be just a loose connection ?

Thank you again!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Balthazar, I bought a Z800 with a flickering screen. I fixed it by opening it up and pushing the cable connector back in place firmly. Works fine now.

FYI, you can use your Z800 with modern games etc if you have Nvidia drivers that are more than a few months old (not sure exactly the version number) if you have 3D Vision (or probably if you use the 3D Vision emulator). Works perfectly with the generic screen option in 3D Vision (that they have removed in the most recent drivers). You may need a Z800 with one of the more recent BIOS's however.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

He is right, the flickering is probably fixable. Just re-seat the connector and see if it gets any better.
Balthazar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Balthazar »

Ok. Thanks Guys! I'll check that.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”