GG3D - improvements, and include older 3d category?

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

GG3D - improvements, and include older 3d category?

Post by hifidelitygaming »

Looking at Game Grade 3D http://www.mtbs3d.com/gg3d/ I was noticing a potential problem for a retro-game fan like myself - some games that worked with the old Nvidia 2007 driver apparently no longer work with the newer Nvidia drivers so if it works on the newer driver it's technically not Geforce 3D Vision, and it's possible that there may be yet other games that might work on for instance Wicked3D (or some other even less common method like earlier proprietary support) which might not work on the Nvidia 2007 driver.

Although such games are probably not of HIGH interest, I was hoping they might be of SOME interest... aka if i'm willing to go test older games and such I wouldn't mind sharing the data somewhere that others can find useful, especially since MTBS seems to be kind of the go-to place for serious 3d afficianados and generic retro-game sites don't necessarily cross over for 3d enthusiasts.

Another comment might be that manual tweak information may be useful to mention... for instance the game Deus Ex 1 is not in the list. Yet I will bet that using the fan-provided DX9 renderer, it will work fine in 3D. Same story with Unreal (original) for which newer renderers exist. This extra information would be critical to get the game working since it wouldn't work out of the box. Other games might work in a GoG.com version, or STEAM version (like Half Life 1 which I believe has a newer renderer) but not as they shipped originally.

It also might be nice to provide some kind of single page or single file downloadable mini-database of this for easy mirroring in the future by others.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: GG3D - improvements, and include older 3d category?

Post by Neil »

Thank you for your input. I think this would be too difficult to implement. The old drivers are not equally capable of what modern 3D software can do (e.g. post processing), and GG3D's rating system is designed for modern driver solutions. If we did this, we would have a database filled with uncertified games which are actually acceptable for the forgiving 3D gamer. The database would also have to be adjusted for earlier DX versions, older hardware, etc. It's a lot of work for a very tiny (and shrinking) audience potential.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”