The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by bobv5 »

John, The physical connectors are not an issue. The issue is what that little box does. As much as I dislike Sony, I do not think they would introduce latency just to mess with people.

As for constantly running at 120hZ, thats not difficult at all, if you design for mainstream graphics cards rather than high end cards.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ PalmerTech & John C - how exactly are you measuring your latency? I can imagine this would be easy enough if you are running code you have developed, but what way can you test (for example) the latency of games etc (such as Skyrim?).

I just checked one of my VR texts, yep, 50ms is considered the threshold which if you exceed you start to get noticable issues with lag.

Doing some very naive maths, I think 60fps works out to about 17ms. Therefore, an introduced lag of 30ms is going to be rather significant.
Now, devices such as the Razer Hydra are supposed to run at 240hz which is only an additional latency of 4 or so ms. However, conflicting info also states it seems to actually run at 60hz, which would mean another 17ms. Now, you add in the display loop and you are going to be running about 32ms. Adding in another 30ms delay due to HMZ hardware will be noticeable according to that maths.

I don't see any way to 'decouple' any of this so far. Does anyone know what speed the wiimote polls data at?

@ bobv5: id suspect that the little box introduces latency, not just to mess with people, but to do the tasks it has been assigned to do, such as scaling etc. They probably didn't even consider the latency aspect, considering they were mainly going for the movie viewer market, where it wouldn't matter at all.

As John says, people will be surprised by how much difference extremely low latency will make. It will be a significant component of immersion, and is one of the two main components im looking for in a VR setup, which are low latency and high FOV. Every bit of lag breaks immersion a little.
JohnCarmack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnCarmack »

It isn't any deep mystery why latency gets introduced -- while you almost never intentionally introduce latency (unless you are hiding a jittered arrival time), it is insidious how easily it creeps into designs. It is far easier to write processing code that goes from one framebuffer to another framebuffer, rather than doing it in a streaming fashion, and it is absolutely required to buffer data for one or the other of side by side / over under 3D format conversions, depending on which way the actual displays are scanned.

The floating menus, 3D format conversions, 1080P conversion, HDPC processing, and possibly the color adjustments are likely done in the processing box. The displays are fixed resolution, possibly fixed refresh rate, and probably don't have local framebuffer ram.

Some display technologies require a frame of buffering -- laser scanners need to convert from a uni-directional raster scan order to a back-and-forth scan pattern and LCOS displays need to convert packed color bits into time multiplexed bit planes. These technologies are at a fundamental disadvantage to OLED.

Almost all consumer TV sets have multiple frames of latency, so the industry basically doesn't think it is a problem. I am doing a lot of bitching about it to raise awareness.

The best way to measure latency is with a high speed camera. You can take video at several hundred fps of a controller and display screen, bop the controller with your finger and count the number of frames it takes to go from the sensor moving to an updated display on the screen. A lot of console games running on consumer TV sets may show >100 milliseconds of latency.

My R&D testbed has < 10 milliseconds of latency to scanout, which makes it dominated by the 16 milliseconds required to push the pixels to a 60 hz display. You can actually see this as a perceived shearing of the world if you rapidly turn your head side to side near a good vertical reference -- the lower something is on the screen, the "farther back in time" it is. I'm not positive 120hz will be fast enough, but I know fore sure 60hz isn't.

BTW, the Hydra only strobes one axis each 250hz cycle, and it has a rest cycle every fourth, so updates are only fully computed at 62.5 hz. There is also 30 milliseconds of additional lag, presumably for filtering (even with the SDK option turned off), when compared to a freespace IMU. I have both mounted on one device, and I can look at offsets in sensed motion in graphs.

John Carmack
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@Carmack: I enjoy your thoroughness. That's interesting about the LCOS displays. I wonder if that means we can expect the ST1080 to have more latency than the Sony? I guess it depends on other factors as well including the control boxes on each unit.

I would expect that almost every motion-tracking device would cause at least 20ms and often much more latency simply due to filter window lag. Maybe optical trackers are exempt because of the clarity of their signal, but the IMU and magnetic devices all require a good bit of processing to tame their noise. So it seems that you could never get below the "magic" threshold of 20ms delay between motion and display using normal sensor technology. Do you see this as a real problem? Are predictive algorithms the only way to overcome this?
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

@Carmack
What do you use for head tracking?
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I will probably notice the lag now when all you guys are talking about is the lag :P

Anyone have a good way of measuring lag with IMU's? I was thinking about mounting my Sparkfun IMU on a RC-plane servo, let it rotate the IMU at a fixed speed and take a high shutter speed photo of it together with a old CRT screen i have in the basement (CRTs are known for low input lag), but if there are easier ways im all game.

edit: It will also be interesting to see which libraries have the highest lag, FreeIMU or AHRS, the conversion from the 3 sensors into 3 axis surely introduces some lag
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

A perfectionist coder getting his own game engine running at 120hz and experimenting with the latest consumer tech available in VR for maximum immersion would complain about lag. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy what we got :) Doesn't even mean that we can percieve it with our existing games and setups.

I guess "lag" is why hmz-t1 is on the table (literally), but not on the head :)

Tim Willits in John Carmack's office. (facebook)

(yeah, I'm a fan)

TrackIR? 2dof not enough for next-gen fps? Ok, I'll stop with the questions now :) Wouldn't wanna spoil the fun.

Really excited to see you working with HMDs. I've been waiting for this day to come for a decade and a half. What I love most about id games is the feel, how the controls feel, how the weapons feel, how the walking-running, jumping and stuff feel and how they help with the immersion. It would be nice to have that feel tuned for and paired with an equaly responsive VR setup. That to me, is the ultimate killer app for HMDs to go mainstream. The downside is that people would have to experience it to know the difference.

I just hope a HMZ-G1 sees the light of day, with a design influenced by your input.

Personally I would like to see something with a design similar to the following, with minimal lag (tuned for gaming, not movies), an integrated gyro for head tracking (with a usb receiver and a mouse emulation mode for compatibility with existing games) and a headphone jack:

But if you don't have such a prototype, I guess it means it isn't out there. So a modded HMZ-T1 with custom cushion pads (a la Blazin3D) and an air mouse for head tracking still seams to be the next best thing for me.
Answers
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It's really cool to have Carmack interested in VR technologies and looking in these forums. Not only for the intelligence and experience he brings to the table, but also because of the strong voice he has in the tech industry. Knowing that he is interested in and is actively pursuing more immersive gaming is very exciting. There are so many areas that need innovation and improvement, but instead of hijacking this thread I'm going to move that discussion over here...

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14746
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@John C, you should try to use your influence to get Nvidia to support stereoscopic 3D with OpenGL, I really want to be able to play Rage and in the future Doom 4 with my Sony HMZ. Also, for future titles you guys might wanna look on titles like Arma 2 from Bohemia interactive, it would rock if games like Doom 4 had this kind of VR capability :P

@SDM, thanks for the vid, I've done a first sketch on my design, Im going for something similar, but I will fizz oval holes into my plate so that I can move the entire HMZ unit to be able to fine adjust the distance from eye to optics
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

I guess adding 3D stereo support to Rage requires some work to be done by id (a new patch for the game) and it isn't in the priority list.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... &p=1303186

Well, that's a bummer. I really hope things will be different for Doom 4 (3D support, hi-res texture pack for PCs, DLCs)
Answers
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

There's an article on tomshardware regarding Z77 and VirtuMVP on reducing input lag and tearing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/inte ... -biostar/2

I'm looking forward to build a new PC using Ivy Bridge and GTX 680 next few months.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:There's an article on tomshardware regarding Z77 and VirtuMVP on reducing input lag and tearing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/inte ... -biostar/2

I'm looking forward to build a new PC using Ivy Bridge and GTX 680 next few months.
Thanks, will look into that, but you can not do more than what the hardware allows, and if its a 30ms delay in the Sony HMZ processing then there are nothing you can do about it.

About your knew computer, go for the 690 instead, it will be released in that time frame, the latest nvidia drivers work very well with stereovision and SLI.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

What about micro stuttering in SLI?
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21625

Personally, I go for the fastest single gpu solution, I don't wanna pay more & get less. But I'm not sure if micro stuttering exists in stereo 3d mode or not. Maybe that's where SLI shines. But I would make sure it does before pouring my money on it.
Answers
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

That's what I'm going for. I call it "Lazy man's VR mod" :P Compatible with any FPS game right out of the box. Very easy to implement, doesn't require any moding on the hmz-t1, can be detached/reattached in a heartbeat, all the required parts are available on the net, doesn't require any skill for modding or building stuff :P
  • Blazin3D's cushion pads for comfort,
  • Logitech Mx Air mouse for head tracking
  • Logitech F710 wireless gamepad for running, gunning etc.
Some black tape under the air mouse's laser sensor to prevent it from switching to desktop mode. Mouse glued to the top cushion with an adhesive pad, leaving the mouse's bottom part open for recharging with the dock unit. Binding all three top buttons to freeze air cursor (would be needed for centering your view).

I'll start with Portal 2. Has perfect stereo 3D support, isn't a fast paced action game which is good for the adaptation phase, the gameplay is familiar to me since I've played the first one and the sci-fi atmosphere would be a good fit for some VR loving.

Sadly, still waiting for the hmz-t1 to be available in my country.
Answers
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I have a GTX 590 and it works perfect with Stereoscopic 3d with v-sync turned on
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

I'd like to see some tests about micro stuttering in 3D. But there is another thing. Why pay for dual-gpu config if you're only gonna run the game at 720p?

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HMZT1_refguide.pdf
Video input (3D: Frame Packing, Sideby-Side and Top-and-Bottom formats):
720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 1080/24p

The HMDI 1.4a standard used to connect HMZ-T1 processor unit to your PC supports 1080p@24hz and 720p@60hz in Stereo3D mode. With nvidia 3d Vision Glasses and compatible monitors, we get around that by connecting the monitor with a dual-link DVI cable (which supports 1080p@60hz). It isn't an option with the HMZ-T1.

So if you try to run a game at 1080p and let the HMZ-T1 processor unit handle downsampling, you get 24hz over hdmi and still end up with 720p on the glasses (but with supersampled graphics). Running the game at 720p@60hz and getting a better rendering quality with AA seems like the obviously better choice (for gaming)

Tell me if I'm wrong.
(This is also the reason why I don't see how JC can experiment with a game engine running at 120hz and HMDs. In 2D maybe? Maybe that's why Stereo3D support for id games doesn't seem to be a priority)
Answers
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@pierreye: Thanks for posting that article. Think I might buy the Asrock Z77 board for my new rig (probably next month). I do have to wonder if the VirtuMVP would conflict with stereo drivers. I mean, they are messing with the rendering pipeline so there could be conflicts. They were also a bit sketchy with confirming SLI support (I'm planning for dual GTX 680). Still seems worth trying out, maybe I just have to be the first one to attempt it.

@donkaradiablo: Running games in 3D usually drops performance by as much as 50% from what you get in 2D. So essentially, your machine needs to be able to render with *minimum* frame-rates above 120FPS at all times in order to keep it smooth. In practice, you can probably live with less but there is certainly always room for better performance on certain titles. That article on micro-stuttering does make me a little weary of going SLI. Probably still try it, I can always use the second card for PhysX or sell it if it becomes a huge problem.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Im super sensitive to micro stutter with movies (Play a 24fps movies at 60hz and i notice it right away) and I do not notice it with my SLI setup
JohnCarmack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnCarmack »

The high rate HMD uses a separate display port cable for each eye. In an ideal world, it would look like a single double wide screen over one cable. There are solid technical reasons to favor (uncompressed) side by side over top bottom transfer. Frame sequential is essentially top/bottom, and interleaved is essentially side by side.

John Carmack
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

cybereality wrote:@donkaradiablo: Running games in 3D usually drops performance by as much as 50% from what you get in 2D.
Maybe but dialing back to 720p could cancel that performance drop :P Even with S3D, a GTX 680 must be enough at 1280x720.

The problem is that we don't have any benchmark data for HMZ-T1. Even if you find a benchmark, in Stereo3D, at 720p, it's for nvidia 3d vision. And 3d vision glasses are a different monster, sequential images at a very high rate, one frame for the left eye, one for the right eye, one for the left eye, one for the right eye... To my understanding, the GPU actually only renders one image at a time. With a HMD like HMZ-T1, it has to render both frames at the same time. So driver optimisations, in-game optimisations, SLI profiles made with nvidia 3d vision glasses in mind wouldn't necessarily translate to better performance with HMZ-T1. If that's the case, benchmark results with 3d vision glasses at 1080p don't mean a thing to me.

EDIT: If with a HMD, the GPU actually still renders only one image at a time L1, R1, L2, R2, L3, R3.. just like with 3d vision glasses, but displays in intervals of 1/120 sec: L1&R1, L2&R1, L2&R2, L3&R2, L3&R3... or L1&R1, L1&R1, L2&R2, L2&R2, L3&R3, L3&R3... meaning 60hz for each eye, then forget everything I said :) Still, it is hard to find benchmarks in Stereo3D at 720p.

But if you've got the money, having two GPUs, each drawing it's own thing in sync should in theory be a perfect solution. In fact stereo3D with a HMD has to be the poster child for dual-GPU setups. I just haven't seen any benchmarks with it.
CyberVillain wrote:Im super sensitive to micro stutter with movies (Play a 24fps movies at 60hz and i notice it right away) and I do not notice it with my SLI setup
The article states that it is a problem that both nvidia and Amd have acknowledged. But that was a research in 2D. If you're saying that there is/was micro-stuttering in 2D but the same problem doesn't exist in stereo3D, I'll definitely take your word for it
Last edited by donkaradiablo on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answers
JohnCarmack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnCarmack »

There is no difference in GPU load between rendering for a 3D monitor/TV and a stereo HMD at the same resolution. If you are being really correct, there is a small change in the projection matrix, but that doesn't effect performance. You render the two view in sequence in both cases.

It would be possible to render both views in parallel with two GPUs, but maintaining two contexts on different devices would be a pain.

John Carmack
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Missed you by seconds with my edit :)

So a dual-gpu setup isn't working by maintaining two different contexts, but instead is working just like how a dual-gpu setup works in 2D. That's good to know, thank you. (Then I guess if micro-stuttering problem still exist in 2D, it would also exist in S3D. Well maybe nvidia took better care of it after the article)
Answers
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@John C Yeah but in reality there is stuff that has to be completely rendered separate for the two views, like post process effects etc.

@donkaradiablo I did a quick benchmark how good Nvidias SLI support for Stereo 3D is

I used BF3 and played the same loop for each config and this is what it gave me

Stereo disabled and SLI turned on, vsync disabled (Min, Max, average)
88 114 105.533

Stereo enabled and SLI configured to boost Stereo performance, Vsync enabled
44 60 54.000

Stereo enabled and SLI disabled, Vsync enabled
24 34 30.667

So Nvidia SLI support for Stereo 3d is really doing its job, and without micro stutter (Its not a 100% boost as you can see, but the threads have to sync to remove stutter and that keeps performance down a bit).
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

CyberVillain wrote:@John C Yeah but in reality there is stuff that has to be completely rendered separate for the two views, like post process effects etc.
That would be the case for both HMDs and monitors though, right? Both solutions (All true stereoscopic solutions) require rending things twice.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

PalmerTech wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:@John C Yeah but in reality there is stuff that has to be completely rendered separate for the two views, like post process effects etc.
That would be the case for both HMDs and monitors though, right? Both solutions (All true stereoscopic solutions) require rending things twice.
Yeha, yeah, offcourse. I do not think Nvidia 3DTV Play HDMI 1.4 drivers introduce much performance drop if any
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Assuming the benchmark was @1080p, could you also try
Stereo enabled and SLI disabled, Vsync enabled, @720
Stereo enabled and SLI configured to boost Stereo performance, Vsync enabled, @720
Answers
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I'm going for single card solution as SLI need special driver support and optimization for each game. I don't think technically VirtuMVP would had any different from 3D to 2D as essentially 3D is still consider one frame, just in the format of Top/Bottom as a single frame (although render twice by the driver but the output is consider as in the same frame buffer).

Regarding the display lag, it's best to send video at the native resolution of the display to avoid additional scaling which might increase the lag. It's proven in projector display benchmark where sending 720p signal to 1080p panel DLP projector does had a higher input lag compare to native 1080p video signal. I don't have any equipment to measure input lag but theorectically, if the input is equal to output pixel, then it doesn't have to go through the scaling processing thus reduce lag. If only Sony come with second revision which allow game mode that bypass additional processing such as dynamic contrast etc.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@donkaradiablo It was done with the Sony HZM in 720p

@pierreye SLI boost for Stero3d is in the drivers so it will be enabled for all games when running stereo, also Nvidia are really good releasing updates to their drivers supporting SLI for games that do not support it out of the box. But yeah I would rather have the 680 then my 590, but now the 690 is around the cornor which gives better performance then the 680 so I would go for that :P
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

and the in-game settings were at 1280x720 as well? (really?)

if not, could you try
Stereo enabled and SLI disabled, Vsync enabled, @720 (in-game resolution setting)
Stereo enabled and SLI configured to boost Stereo performance, Vsync enabled, @720 (in-game resolution setting)
if you have the time :)
Answers
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Yupp, everything at max and 1280x720
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

oh my :)

how about:
Stereo disabled and SLI enabled Vsync enabled @1080p
Stereo disabled and SLI disabled Vsync enabled @1080p
(just to be able to compare)
Answers
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Would consider GTX 590 if it is selling at USD 700. Anyway, there is a new article from Tom Hardware and benchmark on Virtu MVP

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77 ... ,3174.html
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

pierreye wrote:Anyway, there is a new article from Tom Hardware and benchmark on Virtu MVP

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77 ... ,3174.html
Yeah, and for whatever reason they decided to benchmark unsupported games. WTF!!!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

donkaradiablo wrote:oh my :)

how about:
Stereo disabled and SLI enabled Vsync enabled @1080p
Stereo disabled and SLI disabled Vsync enabled @1080p
(just to be able to compare)
Sure, can do that when I get home from work
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ donkaradiablo (and everyone else) I dont get it. Why is everyone talking about 690's and 590's? If you are only running one screen @ 720, you can do that acceptably with just a 580. Playing BF3 with everything on max, my bF3 FPS drop to about 45 in some parts. This is 1920x1080. I'd assume you might gain a little speed for dropping down the res to 720P to match the HMZ. A 590 should easily do it sweet, but I wouldn't bother with either of those options if in the market for a new card.

Just get a single Nvidia 680, and you should have performance similar to a 590. This should give you > 60fps stereoscopic in almost any game you want to play right now. If you need more performance, chuck in another 680 and you will be set for a good while.

I'm probably selling my 580 in the next few weeks and upgrading to a 680, simply because its about a 590's speed, without any of the (true or not) problems with SLI, and also it has multi monitor out, so I can do 3D Vision Surround with just one card. Best price/performance out there I think personally.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Well, I do not know what settings you use, but my 590 (Very close to a 680 in performance) sometimes goes as low as 45 fps with all goodies turned on and stereo at 720p in BF3, I wonder what numbers a 680 gets since its can not take advantage of Nvidias SLI support for stereo.

Anyone with a 680? Please benchmark the first 30 seconds of "Going Hunting" with fraps in 720p with everything at max

edit: yeah you can buy one 680 now and one more later, but if you buy one 690 now, you can get Quad SLI later :P
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Hmm, that seems a bit low for you then. It could be because I normally play open maps, especially Kharg (since I fly the helis mainly) but I just did a quick stereo test run through of a metro game from spawn to B while watching the fps. The lowest was a 31 (lots of 30's) around the first flag and entrance, generally it was about 40-45 once inside. Estimating a 590 as about a 75% improvement, you'd think that which would be mean you should be getting 50-70fps in those circumstances. I play in a higher resolution as well (1080).

edit: A 590 is not as good as 2 580's. If that holds for the 6xx series, then 2 680's are going to beat 1 590. Now, you can go quad with 2 590's (or 690's, but we'll refer to the 590's for brevity). However, its pretty widely considered that 3 580's beat 2 590's, at around the same cost, and also without taxing your pci lanes with 4 GPUs, so if you are going to go for a mega killer rig you may as well do that. Not to mention they all have their own full memory, not 1/2 the memory which I believe each GPU on the 590's gets. Pretty sure they don't share, they just split, so a 3GB 590 really only has 1.5GB per GPU.
Last edited by WiredEarp on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

WiredEarp wrote:Hmm, that seems a bit low for you then. It could be because I normally play open maps, especially Kharg (since I fly the helis mainly) but I just did a quick stereo test run through of a metro game from spawn to B while watching the fps. The lowest was a 31 (lots of 30's) around the first flag and entrance, generally it was about 40-45 once inside. Estimating a 590 as about a 75% improvement, you'd think that which would be mean you should be getting 50-70fps in those circumstances. I play in a higher resolution as well (1080)...
The single player campgaing has more detail then MP, my benchmark was done in the first 30 seconds of the mission "Going Hunting", try that with fraps and see what you get

edit: My avarage was 54 very close to the v-sync roof of 60
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I'm only interested in 690 if the pricing is around USD 700 and able to provide around 70% speed advantage compare to 680. The price/performance ratio would be better and future proof. Note that virtual v-sync will only help if it keep the framerate at least 60hz (display refresh rate).
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

WiredEarp wrote:@ donkaradiablo (and everyone else) I dont get it. Why is everyone talking about 690's and 590's? If you are only running one screen @ 720, you can do that acceptably with just a 580.
that's what I thought :)
donkaradiablo wrote:Why pay for dual-gpu config if you're only gonna run the game at 720p?
donkaradiablo wrote:
cybereality wrote:@donkaradiablo: Running games in 3D usually drops performance by as much as 50% from what you get in 2D.
Maybe but dialing back to 720p could cancel that performance drop :P Even with S3D, a GTX 680 must be enough at 1280x720.
But if those are the results you get in BF3 @720p with a GTX 590:
CyberVillain wrote: Stereo enabled and SLI configured to boost Stereo performance, Vsync enabled
44 60 54.000

Stereo enabled and SLI disabled, Vsync enabled
24 34 30.667
then I guess SLI has it's use :) But CyberVillain's in-game settings must be pretty high, @720 he gets what others get @1080p, Ultra details, no AA

I wonder what results CyberVillain will get @1080p,
  • How 1080p without S3D compares to 720p with S3D, without SLI
  • How the boost in 1080p compares to the boost in 720p, with SLI
To give us an idea about how performance scales.
Answers

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”