Who are forth dimension displays, they talk about a new hmd

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
userwords
One Eyed Hopeful

Who are forth dimension displays, they talk about a new hmd

Post by userwords »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012 ... life-2.ars

Who are those dudes, and what do you think. It really seems there is lot of move into the virtual reality area these days. Someway or another everybody want to jump into it. From console makers to display manufacturers.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Who are forth dimension displays, they talk about a new

Post by PalmerTech »

They are a microdisplay company that was purchased by Kopin. Their product is good, and if they can deliver at the price points they claim, then they will be a big player.

The main problem is that they are still not going for high field of view. The FOV in their demo is 60 degrees, and while that is better than most HMDs, it is not even close to being fully immersive.
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Bishop51 »

Hmmm, the article mentions a "100 degree field of vision". If that's true, then that would push them to the forefront for sure!

I would love for the industry to prove my belly aching about their non-committal approach to VR wrong. I don't have to tell anyone here this but the general public is so desperately behind the curve ball on this topic. I routinely try to educate my young nephews about how VR and AR will change their world and they just gloss over.

Maybe 8 years from now tops, we'll be looking back at these monitors on our desks as positively ancient inventions. AR will start the groundswell, VR will come in and push it over the top. That is once developers and the common masses understand what the technology is capable of. The only true way to revolutionize computer hardware and software is to embrace AR/VR paradigms. It will be a sociologically disruptive force with the same thrust and importance as the internet.

Bla, bla, bla...lol.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

8 years?
You are being rather optimistic I think.
We'd probably only then be starting to really use HMD's as monitor displays. Remember, monitors will probably advance as well in terms of resolution, leaving the resolutions achievable with HMD's behind.

I do think AR will eventually replace laptop screens etc, but I think monitors have a long life ahead still. For many uses, it will be a hassle putting on AR glasses, so until these are integrated into people/eyewear/contacts its unlikely these will replace screens for most applications.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

WiredEarp wrote:Remember, monitors will probably advance as well in terms of resolution, leaving the resolutions achievable with HMD's behind.
I tend to agree with the rest of your post, but I would not be so sure on this particular point. It can be easier to cram a lot of pixels onto a microdisplay than onto larger ones, certainly at a lower cost. That is why you see teeny tiny 1080p DLP and LCOS chips for cheap, and why the HMZ-T1 OLED panels are higher resolution than most other OLED panels in the sub-30" range! On top of that, monitor resolutions are going to stay tied somewhat to whatever content is being produced. Right now it is 1080p, and as we move towards 4k, that is where things are going to stay for awhile.

Just opinion, though, I can't really predict anything. :P
userwords
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by userwords »

correct me if im wrong, but i think resolution once you reach certain amount in an hmd is not as important as in a display, because moving your head to look let you change view easily, while in a display a desktop that can scroll with a mouse is bothering so bigger resolutions will only be usable in bigger displays, and at 55 inches a tv is beggining to defy what people can load by hand and move through a door.

I would prefer an 1080p 100fov hmd with tracking for gaming than a surround rig made with 3 x 1080p displays offering me a resolution of 5760x1080.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”