Upcoming Passive 3D monitors?

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Upcoming Passive 3D monitors?

Post by MadRussian »

Hi all,

So I am in the market for a new computer monitor. I'm currently using a Zalman M220W. I am looking for something bigger than the currently available Zalman M240W but smaller than a full blown TV. Right now I am only interested in passive displays. I'm somewhat up to date with news on all the new passive 3D TVs coming out. But I've yet to see anything on something that would be more ideal as a large computer monitor, say 26-30". So am I missing something? Does anyone know if these monitors are coming?

Also, if I'm going to be stuck waiting a while, I may consider the M240W, but I'm extremely curious about something. Have the two newer Zalman models (M215W or M240W) made any noticeable improvement regarding the semi-limited vertical viewing constraint present on the M220W?

On a similar note, does anyone have any information that suggests that the new passive 3D TVs we keep seeing, will make any improvements over the current Zalman models in terms of limited vertical viewing constraint?

Any info is much appreciated as always. :)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Upcoming Passive 3D monitors?

Post by Fredz »

I don't know for the Zalman monitors, but three weeks ago Digital Versus had a first look at the LG 47LD950 3D passive TV and they said the vertical viewing angle was very limited :
Digital Versus wrote:The second problem is no less frustrating: you have to sit directly facing the TV to be able to enjoy a quality picture in three dimensions. If you are looking at it from slightly above or slightly below, then the crosstalk, or interference between the frames designed for each of your eyes, is so bad that the TV is unwatchable!
Source : http://www.digitalversus.com/passive-3d ... 18304.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also said that they will test a LG passive 3D TV next monday and that they were favorably surprised, but I don't know if they talked about the previously cited model or if the good news come from the viewing angles. In french (didn't find the english version) :
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/tests-top- ... 18636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

In my country ppl mostly want glassesfree autostereo with bigger sweetspot, they are willing to wait 5-7 years. ;)
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Bigger sweetspots.... Yeah, maybe people can develop in a way hammersharks did! :D
The sweetspot is pretty much determined by the eyedistance (for true autostereoscopic displays). Multiview displays (zecotek, old wowvx etc) are better in this regard but suffers from poor resolutionusage.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

Yeah, one day we'll all have full auto-stereo TVs / monitors and laugh about how we ever got by. Hmmm... not sure how the conversation jumped straight to auto-S3D? :P

I'll be interested to see some news on if that latest passive LG has improved vertical-viewing-angle wise. But for now I'd be happy with a nice passive set that's simply an improvement over what I've got. btw- Has anyone tried both the 22" and 24" Zalmans? If so, is the vertical viewing angle any better on the 24?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nope, didn't try the Zalman monitors neither the new lines of passive 3D TVs. I don't know when the review from Digital Versus will be available, probably next monday or next week at least. I think cybereality has got a Zalman monitor, not sure if it's a different model from yours though. If he can manage to leave his 3DS alone for some minutes maybe he'll post something about it here. ;)

And for off-topic answers, it's been an habit initiated by tritosine lately, but it seems he's found some new adepts now... :P
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

I seem to recall cybereality has a Zalman 22" (same as me), but maybe there's someone out there who has tried both the 22" and the 24"? I'm thinking there was such a big lag between those two models (years right?), maybe Zalman were able to manage vertical-view-angle improvements. Hmmm... Now I wonder if there's a metric for view-angles in the specs?

So I will keep my eyes open for that new passive LG review! Thanks for the heads-up on that, Fredz. And thanks to all for the posts. Sounds like LG might indeed have been able to improve the vertical-view-angle, which imo would be huge.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

And for off-topic answers,
I think shuttering is not the problem with current 3d monitors (just like, glasses not the problem with 3dTV's)
active shutter TN is,
afterall 3x6bit (very low dynamic range) and its decimated further because it can't do clear transitions between frames. So its 3x6bit / 5 . Brutal.

If you do passive instead you get 3x6bit + hold blur. Ugh.

-In my opinion ,neither is good tradeoff, passive is not how you make it better imho & they certainly won't make that tech better anytime soon.

I can only hope we get RGB backlit LCD, or this: http://www.picopros.com/article/panason ... mment-1020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I've got the old 22" Zalman. I haven't seen the newer models but I assume they are the same or better in regards to viewing angles. But this is an issue with all xpol/FPR type interlaced displays. Maybe some are better or worse, I don't know. But they all suffer from this. What you really want is the new RealD technology where they made an HDTV version of their z-screen. So this is a full-resolution, wide viewing angle, passive solution. Might be coming out in the next year or two. If you want something today you might look into the new Vizio models, they use passive and should be affordable (I think the 32" model is going to be $500).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

A test of the passive LCD TV LG 47LW650S has been published by Digital Versus some days ago. See : http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-47lw650 ... 80_35.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As expected the technology doesn't seem to have improved much since the Zalman monitors, the ghosting levels are equivalent to Samsung active LCDs (read "very bad") and the vertical viewing angles are very limited, if you stand up the ghosting increases dramatically.

The black lines are also still apparent if you view the TV not farther than 2.5m (for the 47") and the resolution is horizontally halved (ie. 540 lines per eye). So, there is still no progress with this technology, unfortunately...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That set doesn't look so bad in terms of ghosting, but it sounds like viewing angles are still a big issue.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I'm still using 22" zalman (think old one as well). I'm fine with the viewing angle. Don't move too much and adjust monitor tilting every now and then in ME3.

I was actually just looking for more info, too.
Found some LG's with interlaced 3D on Ebay for about 50-60 Bucks more than normal screen.
mainproblem of my zalman: it refelcts Real-World too much for the other side of the room :-(
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I have the 55" version of this passive LG 3DTV, and I am very happy with it. I guess I generally just watch movies from my couch which is ideally located so I am not affected at all by viewing position. The screen brightness and the gentleness of the effect on the eyes are what really sold me however.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

brantlew wrote: The screen brightness and the gentleness of the effect on the eyes are what really sold me however.

Too bad there aren't decent displays on market still, but hey, maybe in a few years from now we'll collectively laugh at all this 'hurtful spatio-temporal nonsesness
NumberSix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NumberSix »

tritosine5G wrote:In my country ppl mostly want glassesfree autostereo with bigger sweetspot, they are willing to wait 5-7 years. ;)
I don't think "country" is the right word there, tritosine -- did you mean "planet?"

Sorry, but people are discussing things they may or may not buy in the next 12 months, not their spending habits for 2019. Posting about tech nobody's selling is a bit like having a conversation over coffee but one guy at the table only speaks to occasionally yell FISH at the top of his lungs.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Agree with brantlew

LG has fine wide viewangle for Television i have seen Demo and i can say its good except those black lines due to line interleaved format which are not there in 120Hz active 3d monitors but they introduce flickering problem due to active glasses.

Many people said 120Hz is comfortable but personally if there is any other light source (CFL) sure you can see flickers.

Wating eaglerly for 120HZ passive display which offers best of both the worlds
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yep, 120Hz passive would look great.

Return to “3D Monitors”