older 'proprietary' 3d glasses/HMD specific game support?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

older 'proprietary' 3d glasses/HMD specific game support?

Post by hifidelitygaming »

Back in the day before even Wicked3D existed, in the 90's there were a couple of head mounted displays like the VFX-1 I believe, plus some other 3d shutter glasses. Support for these had to be coded into the game itself apparently, meaning very short compatibility lists. But I have this obscure fetish for tracking down "best possible versions" of certain games and the 'deadend' hardware some of them supported as being the coolest possible way to play the game at the time. Obscure controllers is one part of it, and displays are another - early multimonitor support, 3d glasses support, HMD support.

Other than the VFX-1 (i think thats the name) helmet HMD which apparently supported Descent, Rise of The Triad, and Terminal Velocity, I am having a hard time finding what other obscure games (or obscurely supported hardware) existed at the time... this is an open request for anyone that remembers seeing anything even if they arent sure of it's accuracy just to provide leads.

I'm gathering information to share over on VOGONS (very old games on new systems) in part so if youre there you can also join the discussion there instead.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: older 'proprietary' 3d glasses/HMD specific game support

Post by PalmerTech »

The VFX-1 had some of the best support of any HMD at the time, mainly because most of the other units available had no head tracking.

Here is a great page with info on the VFX1: http://www.vfx1headgear.123.fr/index.ph ... ntent&id=1

You should also look up the VFX3D. It was the "newer" version that was higher resolution, but with a lower field of view, worse colors, and standard VGA compatibility. It is actually nothing more than a pair of i-Glasses jammed into a VFX1 shell with some new decals! ;)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: older 'proprietary' 3d glasses/HMD specific game support

Post by cybereality »

Magic Carpet was a really awesome game back then with native 3D support. I believe it worked with the VFX-1 and the i-Glasses.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”