Sony HMZ-T1 Xbox LIVE edition. Sony has officially lost it!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Sony HMZ-T1 Xbox LIVE edition. Sony has officially lost it!

Post by mayaman »

Haha, sorry. But I couldn't help myself. I have made a mod to my HMZ. Again, reversible and doesn't harm the headset in case later you can get full retail for it on trade in or sale.

I still had my original Beta tester Xbox Live mic from 2002. I disassembled the mic assembly, removed the speaker and tidied up the internal of the housing. Now I have a LIVE mic, attached to my headset and I can play on LIVE without modding the headset of ruining the looks of it. It actually looks kinda cool. The mic is attached with GOOP, a super strong adhesive that is flexible and when pulled doesn't leave any marks. You just use Goo Be Gone and its like it was never there.

So far it works fantastic. The quality of these original Xbox mics is awesome plantronics. Crystal clear to my friends. I switched voice to "speakers" and lowered the volume and now I can get game and voice sound just like if I was using my Astros A40s. The quality isn't as nice but to be honest the trade off is worth it.

Simple modifications to the Xbox headset housing with a dremel to match contour and snipping of speaker wire.

I'll keep working on non destructive mods for the HMZ-T1 :)

Enjoy.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Sony HMZ-T1 Xbox LIVE edition. Sony has officially lost

Post by cybereality »

LOL! Nice.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Sony will hunt you for creating an abomination HMD. Nice work anyway. I'm looking forward to add on wireless mic for voice command.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

That GOOP stuff sounds interesting, haven't tried that (I use lots of glues for models etc).
I normally use hot melt (the 'craft' thickness, not the normal thickness - the craft stuff melts at a lower temp so is better for your gear) to do the same sort of stuff. You just hot melt stuff together, later on you can break it free and peel it off without any real damage if you need to.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Nice one 8-)

I will get this one for the HMZ

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HekHTCh9 ... ure=relmfu[/youtube-hd]
Last edited by STRZ on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

STRZ wrote:Nice one 8-)

I will get some of these for the HMZ
What kind of mod will you do to the HMZ to fit those?
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

CyberVillain wrote:
No mod needed, you stick the mic holder somewhere and bend the mic near to your mouth. You can remove the mic from the mic holder if you watch films for example. Speech quality is excellent, here a link to soundcloud ( the first person speaking is using it )

http://soundcloud.com/madz_hardwareluxx ... 09-22-1-36

http://www.modmic.com/
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

STRZ wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:
No mod needed, you stick the mic holder somewhere and bend the mic near to your mouth. You can remove the mic from the mic holder if you watch films for example. Speech quality is excellent, here a link to soundcloud ( the first person speaking is using it )

http://soundcloud.com/madz_hardwareluxx ... 09-22-1-36

http://www.modmic.com/
Sorry, I thought you would use the whole thing (The sound in the HMZ is really crappy).
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

CyberVillain wrote:
Sorry, I thought you would use the whole thing (The sound in the HMZ is really crappy).
I will use my Westone inears if the Sound isn't enough for gaming and films and use the HMZ headphones as earwarmer :D

For gaming and films i don't care so much about soundquality as when i'm listening to music tbh.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

I wouldn't say the sound is crappy, I played for over 5 hours the other day and felt it sounded pretty good actually but YMMV. The thing about my mods is I'm trying not to alter the HMZ or it's basic looks. At the moment I'm trying to figure out a way to get the Astro A40 speaker out of the Astro ear cups and into a HMZ modified ear cup. We'll see.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”