VR uses for 3d TV?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

VR uses for 3d TV?

Post by bobv5 »

The girlfriends TV blew up recently. As the resident tech dork I was put in charge of finding a new one. I managed to find a 32" 3d TV that just scraped in the budget. (Cheap no-name, but 5 year guarantee, so it can't be too bad.)

I am wondering if anyone knows of any software that offers girlfriend friendly wii style gaming (bowling, golf, that sort of thing), but runs on pc, so I can use the 3d features?

We currently play that stuff on wii, but it seems a shame not to use the 3d, and my pc cpu isn't quick enough to run wii emulators.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VR uses for 3d TV?

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. not sure you can really get that WiiSports experience on the PC. Consoles seem to have a lot more in that area, especially for multiplayer on the same screen.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

True. But they fail at 3d.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I have try out few wii games such as Fatal Frame 4 (english subtitle) and Xenoblade on wii emulator in 3D using 3D vision which had better graphic and not to mention in true 3D. You need quite a beefy PC to run the emulator especially the CPU. Recommendation for smooth gameplay would be Core i5 overclock to 4Ghz and above. Don't forget to run on Win7 64bit as it is smoother than 32bit version. Motion Plus is supported by Dolphin emulator too. You can try out latest Zelda which also work with Dolphin.

Another option is to get a decent 3D TV with good 2D to 3D converter. What I know LG passive 3D tv is quite good but the only problem the crosstalk seem worse if your eye level is higher than the tv. Might not be a good idea if your tv is mounted lower than standing eye level.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Cheers guys. Like I said, my CPU is weak. Even if I had the cash for an Intel CPU, I wouldn't buy one. For £200 (the price of a reasonably fast intel CPU in my country) I could go out and do a REAL fun thing.

I am using a cheap nasty TV, but it looks quite good.

Core i5? Heavily overclocked? Thats fine for a gaming machine, but would you be happy putting that machine in control of somebody who has no clue about how to use computers?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”