Just ordered my IZ3D monitor from Newegg

zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Just ordered my IZ3D monitor from Newegg

Post by zebrastealer »

Couldn't really afford it right now, but what the heck, I've been waiting too long for my other stereo setups to have drivers. Now I'll see for myself how well the IZ3D performs and whether this ghosting issue is really all that bad after all. Had a tough time choosing between the new $699 version or an open box unit for $499. Price difference was more like $140 after taking into account the free shipping on the new monitor and the free copy of Call of Duty 4 available til March 31st. In the end I went with the new version, figured the open box units might be the ones that didn't peform quite as well which might be why they were returned!

Early next week I'll be posting my own review on the IZ3D...
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Congrats on your purchase! I think you will like it as the drivers appear to be top notch and, according to the latest posts from Vadim, the crosstalk will soon be a thing of the past.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I think that too. The IZ3d team are the most dedicated to the stereoscopic business as is now and i have the feeling that BlackQ's glow will keep it that way. :D. Even if the iz3d ghosts a bit i still use it 75% of my total gaming time! Then you have to consider that i do have a passive projection rig. Really curious of what other glasses can do and going to order those as soon as they surface from the "deep".

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

Received the monitor yesterday, only played around with it for about 2 hours so its too early to give an assessment yet. I've definitely got some 'tweaking' to do with it though because straight out of the box with the 1.07 drivers it wasn't working up to expectations. Back LCD is definitely much darker than the front - and there is an odd color tinge to the rear panel - most noticible in whites - there is a very obvious brownish discoloration present. Oddly enough (or perhaps expected?) when I bend my neck to the right (say 30 degree angle) the brown tint disappears and the color looks appropriately white.

Tried out a few games with somewhat unsatisfying results, I didn't get the depth I wanted without a disconcerting amount of double images. Crysis had horrible grey block artifacts present - might be a known issue to be fixed with the next driver release. Anyway, I'm sure much of this can be adjusted in the settings.

Will have to dig up a bunch of software and reinstall it all to try out -

Crysis
Eve
GRAW
Rainbow 6 Las Vegas
Half Life 2
Stalker
Supreme Commander
Sins of a Solar Empire
Oblivion
Might and Magic
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic 3
Warhammer Mark of Chaos
Warhammer Dawn of War
Rome Total War
and more...
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Zebrastealer!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Did you tilt the monitor back?
2. Is your video driver in dual screen mode? Clone mode is different and will not work properly.
3. Forget the dynamic test in the iZ3D driver. It sucks. :lol: Instead, try the static test in the driver and tell us how that looks. Keep both eyes open. Once you close one eye at a time, you will see the differences very quick.

I would focus on Oblivion to start. Pick a game that everyone can share their experiences with. Stalker is another example.

I haven't been able to get Crysis to run on the iZ3D drivers yet. They even list that as ATI only right now.

Are you familiar with the relationship of convergence and separation? Pick an object in a game like a tree or a branch. Looking with your naked eye, when you walk towards it, does the image start separated, join together, and then separate again? If this doesn't happen, your settings are probably off.

Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,
Neil
Mong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mong »

Okay Crysis works fine with my Rig at 1024x768 with shadows reduced to low and everything else MAXED OUT...FPS=31 Averaged.

Now Zebrastealer, Try to adjust the iZ3D with a slight tilt backwards 3 inches(too far back is annoying on the eyes and neck IMO).

With all my FPS games my convergence = 0.0171 to 0.0100 (0.0171% Vegas) and separation = 76% to 85% (76% Vegas)

I use no AA but AF at 8X. Neils step 2 is very important!!

Oh just incase if your wondering my setup on my Rig number 3....M/B = Gigabyte EX38 DS4, CPU = E8400 intel(upgrading soon), GPU = 8800GTX(upgrading soon), Corsair Dominator 1200 x 4 (oc).

Later Dude. 8)
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

One thing the guys reminded me of when I got mine was if you are using a vga and a dvi then be sure to hit the auto adjust button on the front of the monitor.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

Hey guys,

Got a few more hours in last night, I'll actually type of a long review with all the games in a week or two. 2nd impressions on the monitor were more favorable, possibly the driver wasn't enabled properly until after reboot.

The build quality of the monitor is very good and the 2d image quality is on par with my other 22 inch monitors- text displays with clarity and colors appear true. I'm not crazy about the shiny coating on the screens, it shows reflections too easily - especially if you have any bright light sources behind you - ie a window or lamp. I imagine this coating is somehow neccessary or beneficial to the 3d effect or dual lcd panel construction.

The last time I used 3d for any length of time was with a CRT and shutterglasses, and that was a four or five years back. Obviously, the 3d effect varies according to the game. For the most part there is some 'ghosting' present in all the games I played, though that ghosting was often so minimal that after a couple minutes of play my mind had completely tuned it out and it wasn't noticable all all.

Crysis: I was able to get Crysis to work properly, but only at the native resolution of the monitor - 1440 x 900 didn't do the trick, despite being the same aspect ratio. At that resolution i had blocky grey artifacts all over the screen. At 1680 x 1050 all those artifacts were cleared up, though I did have to tune the visual settings down to medium. All said and done though, the game still played at a reasonable frame rate on my 8800 GT and Q6600 with 4 gigs ram. The only visual issues with Crysis were some display irregularities with shadows and olddly enough the stars in the sky seemed to 'hover' somewhere in the distance in front of mountain peaks - they don't appear in front of the peaks, they are just placed wierdly in your view. Nice game, hope NVIDIA unlocks those other DVI ports so I can buy a 2nd 8800 GT and run it in SLI - then I'll be able to get the game up to High settings again.

Dark Massiah - Might and Magic: As the BLOG review states, this game looks great in 3d, the effect is very noticable and fun. I didn't spend too much time in the game, but I will replay the whole thing again just because of the new level of immersion with this title in 3d.

Call of Duty 4: Wow, this game kicks A$$ in 3d. I mean it looks fantastic, with very little visual disruption noticable. I have COD4 on my XBOX 360 and play it on my Sharp 1080p projector on the big scren. I love the multiplayer so much that I chose this title as my 'free' bundle with the IZ3d from Newegg. Honestly I had the game settings cranked up at 1680x1050 except for AA and it ran smooth and beautiful. It is still a toss up as to whether I prefer to play this game on a 120 inch screen or on the 22 inch IZ3D in 3d, however the 3d effect is really really nice and the characters and environment really leap out and have great depth.

Eve: Probably been said before, but this isn't the best title for 3d - you can get your ship to have good depth but too much seperation in the distance really causes the asteroids (in particular) to have way too much ghosting. I settled on a slight amount of depth with a bit of ghosting. Not sure if I would bother playing this title in 3d.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Overall the game looks nice, my main complaint is that the ship tags are all flat on the the screen so it is difficult to associate them with the actual ships in 3d. If it weren't for that, this game would be a really nice RTS title in 3d.

That was pretty much all I had time for last night, can't wait to play around with some more titles - and mess around with fine tuning the separation and convergence settings more for each game.

At $699 this monitor is definitely worth the money, it isn't perfect but it is a nice piece of hardware and very usable.

zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

Monitors were set correctly to dualview, I will double-check my other settings and try the monitor tilted back as well, thanks for the tips guys.

sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

personally i found it more confortable with the brightness set to 40 instead of 100. also the crosstalk and coloring is less, actually its the same but with less brightness oyu see it less.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”