I think I must have some kind of mental illness...

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

I think I must have some kind of mental illness...

Post by PalmerTech »

I own the following:

Optics 1 PT-01
Private Eye P4
Xybernaut Poma
Interactive Group Active-i
Eyetop Centra
Victormaxx Stuntmaster
Victormaxx Cybermaxx
Olympus Eyetrek FMD-200
Olympus Eyetrek FMD-20P
Olympus Eyetrek FMD-150W
Virtual Research V8
Kaiser Proview 30 (PV30)
Vuzix VR920
HeadPlay
i-Glasses SVGA Pro
i-Glasses SVGA
i-Glasses PC
i-Glasses TV
Cy-Visor DH-4400VPD
Vuzix VR920
MyVu Crystal
MyVu Crystal EV
Phillips Scuba
Emagin Z800
Sony HMZ-T1
Liquid Image MRG 2.2
Forte VFX1
Visionics LVES
Visionics Aurora prototype
Visionics LVES calibration unit
Trimersion
Fakespace Boom3C
Vortek VR Beachhead 2000 boom mounted display
A few of those shitty toy HMDs with built in games.
Fatshark Aviator
Generic chinese HMD (PS2 Headgame)
Countless revisions of custom HMDs
I am probably forgetting an HMD or two, so add a few more onto the list.

Anybody want to come up with a name for this disorder? :lol:

EDIT: I have used, but do not own the following:

Fakespace Wide5
Sensics X-Sight
Sensics Z-Sight
Sensics Natalia/SmartGoggles
Kaiser ProView 50
Lumus DK-42
Lumus PD-18-4
Epson Moverio BT-100
Vuzix Wrap 920
Vuzix Star 1200 AR
Virtual Research V4
Virtual Research V6
Hasbro My3D
Others that I cannot remember, will update when I recall.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: I think I must have some kind of mental illness...

Post by Likay »

With my limited expertise it's not a disorder but a more natural behavior in general. You're probably safe and sound! :mrgreen:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I don't know the name of the disease, but I do know how to cure it.

Put them all in a crate, and send them to me. You already have the address.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Great Scott!

VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Palmer, ur alittle like me! but with more experience, your never really satisfied! and hopefully you never lose that drive. Whats great about ur VR hobbie is you are the rare mate that has got to try HUGE FOV VR, stuff most of us on here will never get to afford, or ever get to try! So whatever it take for you to get those $$$$$ BIG FOV HMD into our hands at the fraction of the cost home bru, let everyone know! Im sure a paypal donation setup wouldn't be to far fetched.... I know I'd throw a few bucks for you to experiment.. Im kinda burnt out tryin and buyin, yeah know what I mean, just gets frustrating!
SOOOOO

Keep it going,

Ku
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Thats a great list. How many of those have FOV > 70 degrees?

I always wanted to try out the VPL hmds such as the HRX. Have you ever used one of those?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for the assurance, guys. I am tempted to make this all into a signature so I can brag about my hardware the way some of you get to do, but it would be pretty big. :lol:

@VRgamesterz: I don't want to take donations unless I have to, reeks of the VR investment scams of the 90s. ;)

@WiredEarp: Five of them do. :) As far as the VPL stuff, no, I have never actually used one. However, I have a few sets of real LEEP optics, and I have tried viewing some old Sony displays with the same size and resolution as the VPL Eyephone. The experience was lacking, to say the least. :P Modern displays are much lighter, and provide a much better experience, color and resolution wise.

Oh, and I was right, I forgot two HMDs. I remember them last night... And now I only remember one of them! Adding my Private Eye P4 to the list.

Edit: Added a list of ones I have used but do not own.
robert135
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by robert135 »

There is nothing wrong with you, you are just WAY ahead of your time, compared to public consumption.

Every single military pilot has a HMD, and many civilian pilots that do night work have them as well.

The fact is that the general public has been extremely slow in its acceptance of tech. I know it can at times seem lightning fast, but seriously as I am sure alot of you have, I have been working with general tech for decades.

It is literally some of the most advanced technology that has been given to the public and they have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities. You were just one of the ones to see one of the breakout capabilities way earlier than everyone else.

What do you call a guy that is:
Behind the times = old school.
With the times = trendy.
Ahead of the times = future looking
More ahead of the times = idealist
More ahead of the times than that = crackpot
More ahead of the times than even that = bat poop crazy or a lunatic.

When the times catch up... you are called amazing, smart, genius (if you cash in on it), or a Profit if your interests or desires are benign.

Understanding where you are on that curve helps a lot, because you just realize that everyone else is not there yet.

It works in reverse as well. Just think of the technological point America is at this moment, and look at some of the less developed nations, depending on their degree, you always see greater and greater derogatory comments made of their relative condition to this one. But within the condition, you are happy as a clam.

So have fun with the knowledge that finally, the public will begin to see the fruits of your labors, and will look on your interests as way ahead of its time.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Hah, that is a good way to look at it. I think us HMD enthusiasts are moving from up the list, away from "crackpot". :lol: Although to be honest, most of my collection is composed of old and outdated HMDs. Those don't really contribute to the future, but maybe I will start a museum someday. :lol:

Just added my Xybernaut Poma, forgot about that one too.
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

HMDD (in place od ADD) lol... man that is one impressive list! I have owned a few on that list... wish I had not sold off the older technology.

My key question - what is the #1 favorite (owned or used) on that list!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

"Favorite" is so subjective, since every application and person has different preferences... But my favorite is probably my Boom3C, followed very closely by the Wide5, my PR4, and the X-Sight. The Lumus DK-42 is pretty great, too, as far as whiz-bang factor goes.

Which ones did you own?
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

Started out with Datyl Nightmares and fell in love! I remember ordering the Cybermaxx as a teenager and two show up on my doorstep hours from each other. It was a shipping error that changed me forever lol!

I have owned:

Cybermaxx
Virtual Reasearch V6
Vusiz VR920
I-glasses PC
Virtualboy - lol - had to though that in
Fresnel setups -
Varioous wired and wireless shutter glasses - anything to get my 3d fix

My passion has moved over to 3d TV's - have owned a Samsung, Panasonic and now the Passive LG (love it) as well as a DLP theatre setup in the basement. The realease of the HMZ-T1 has got me back doing a full circle as I try and decide if I should jump into the HMD waters again. Still have not been able to see or demo a unit as Canada only received a min quantity of units. If the Sony had head tracking I would not even second guess!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”