Bey-tech VR Suit

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Bey-tech VR Suit

Post by Synexious »

WTF? Lol. http://www.bey-tech.com/Links.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Synexious on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Bey-tech VR Suit (Is Fake)

Post by PalmerTech »

I don't think it is fake, the owner of that page seems to have a lot of other inventions (Most of them are more mundane). English does not seem to be his first language, and I think he is going for the wrong market (Party planning?!), but he also has them on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtual-Reality ... 939wt_1270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of tempted to give one a shot.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Bey-tech VR Suit

Post by Synexious »

The site says the suit uses nanotechnology, and was supposed to be out in 2011. EDIT: Well, maybe it is real, but how does it work? Doesn't it need drivers?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Well, it says it works with Xbox 360, and has a controller attachment. It also says that unlike the 3rd Space impact vest, you can feel when you fire your own weapon.

Based on that, and the two pigtail leads coming out of the vest, I would guess that it hooks up the rumble motor output of a 360 controller to a series of relays in that ammo box, which power all of the vibration modules.

Not exactly cutting edge, and it amounts to a bunch of rumble motors strapped to a motorcycle vest, but $300 is an entirely reasonable price, IMO.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

The Racer X suit looks interesting, sort of a upper body buttkicker :lol:
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

'nanotechnology' is usually a sign, along with 'quantum', that something is bullshit.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

WiredEarp wrote:'nanotechnology' is usually a sign, along with 'quantum', that something is bullshit.
So you wouldn't be interested in my prototype nanoquantum dichromatic wave-motion gun? It has a stable trilithium core with quad-channel dark plasma injectors, in a durasteel housing, rated to five tetrons.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

It seems very feasible. The base jacket is just a motocross jacket (I own the exact same one) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Full ... 5d31aa10ff. In the video showing the setup, it looks like he has attached rumble packs to various spots on the jacket and then mapped the output from the controller rumble packs (ps3,xbox,etc) to the rumble packs on the jacket. Think of it as Aura Interactor version 2.0! I don't think it would be too hard to duplicate. Get one of the jackets, get 8 or 10 rumble packs from disassembled controllers or old N64 rumble packs, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-Rum ... 3370cd900a

Then trace the power ground and signal wires and wire them in series and mount them to the jacket. Probably need a small external power source to power the multiple rumble packs. Take apart your main controller and solder a wire to the rumble pack signal wire on both sides and extend them out to attach to the signal wires on the jacket somehow.

Atleast that's my take on it! :mrgreen:
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It looks real to me, but I doubt it works very well. Without any sort of drivers (especially on console) all you can do is emulate the rumble pack, which is not very accurate. The rumble unit (on say an Xbox360) has a few different levels of force, but its not going to tell you if a bullet came from the back or the side. So all this amounts to is a wearable rumble pack.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Correct, that was what I thought, how will it know where the shot is fired from, and how is he saying no drivers? If it was that simple from the PC side then why doesn't the tn vest works with most of the games and they had to make a mode for the open gl games. I've asked them many times 2 years ago to open a forum for DIY modders to make thier own as they do with maps etc.

I had a bud of mine that is a good programmer take a looked at their sdk and he still had to get some sort of C++ program to really access it, so it isn't as easy as they tried to tell me, simple I think they word it. Now I haven't hooked up my vest in some time but I do see they are at 4.5 ver, I quit at 2.5 when they took forever to add more. Are any of the new games working with it Cyber?

You get this vest working with most games and it's not bad, wont get full 360 with the cables but 180 is still cool, then another 180 and u got ur 360 LOL..

Ku
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Just watched the YouTube video. That's pretty damn cool. It's def real. Might check this out.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

The web-site goes out of its way to make it look fake/bad. The amount of time/work that went into those you figure they would at least use a store template instead of like a 90's yahoo page creator.

Pricing is very reasonable however..... what is this one size fits all?
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

What I find is people who invent stuff like this put so much time and effort into their product that they don't have time or effort for proper promotion or website. Ultraforcesims.com is the same way. He makes some of the coolest racing sim seat with force feedback yet his website is pure geocities. I'm gonna try and support this dude if I can this spring after I buy an HMD.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”