What 3d tv is best for me?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
mutasim
One Eyed Hopeful

What 3d tv is best for me?

Post by mutasim »

Hello. I bought a new desktop computer which I didn't receive yet. The graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5. I want to enjoy 3d gaming on my computer and I know that this graphics card is good for the job. I need to buy a 3d TV but I don't know which one is best. As I was researching, I found that two technologies are available, shutter 3d glasses and polarize 3d glasses. The polarize 3d glasses seem better because they are lighter, cheaper, and brighter. I'm looking for 50" TV
So, What TV should I buy?
Do I need to buy a special HDMI cable for the 3D?
Do I need an additional software to install in my new computer for the 3D like DDD or iz3d or will the 3d software be provided with the graphics card?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: What 3d tv is best for me?

Post by cybereality »

You are lucky, that AMD card should be supported. You are also smart for asking here before you buy a TV.

Both active and passive sets will be decent, but they have their pros and cons. In general, active has high picture quality while passive is more comfortable and natural. I am not sure one is really better. With active you get the full resolution 1080P (1920x1080), with passive you end up with half that resolution (1920x540 per eye). With active you get some minor flickering (some people are more sensitive, others don't notice). With passive polarized you get a clean flicker-free image. With active the screen can look a little dark with the glasses on, while polarized is only slightly darker. However with passive the viewing angles are limited, so you have to have a very controlled setup (for example, using a TV mount that can tilt). Price is probably not the biggest factor for the TV itself, but if you have a large family or lots of friends, then the glasses could be expensive. Depends what you are looking for.

I think, from what I have seen, Sony makes the best 3D TVs but they are way overprices. Panasonic has the next best, and still very good. Samsung and LG are probably next, but I haven't seen these myself to comment. Vizio also makes some more affordable passive sets, but I also can't comment on the quality. Hope that helps.
mutasim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mutasim »

Thank you for responding. I think I'll go for LG, because it's the only brand I found that make passive Tvs.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Cybereality has answered the key questions nicely in his reply but here are a few of my thoughts.

Having tried both active and passive I have to say I prefer passive. I like the lightness and cheapness of the glasses, the fact that they don't use batteries and their connection with RealD cinema (the RealD 3D glasses also work nicely with LG Cinema 3D displays). I also like the brighter quality as I found that wearing shutter glasses significantly reduced the brightness to the point where it bugged me a bit. Granted the Full 1080p image with active does look sharper but only in a side by side comparison. When watching 3D HD material with my passive glasses I don't really notice the half resolution as, as mentioned here by many before, the brain fuses the images together into a 1080 HD image. The passive does have a smaller viewing angle though so you have to really get your position right and stick with it. With regards ghosting, I have seen it with both active and passive and I have also seen demo material with little or no ghosting at all with both so I think it all depends on how well created the 3D is on the source material.

Gae43
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

50" for a pc display? How close are you going to sit to the monitor?
I use a 32" passive vizio and love it, but I will tell you that the FPR tech works best at a minimum distance. I have to sit at least 1 meter away from the display to enjoy the full effect. The larger the display, the further you need to be.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”