Yet another new HMD - this one from Epson!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Yet another new HMD - this one from Epson!

Post by ShawmK »

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/09/moveri ... d-display/

I'm not sure where they get the "first of its kind" claim, but this definitely seems to be the year of HMD's!

This one doesn't look like it's going to win any awards, but it's still interesting.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Re: Yet another new HMD - this one from Epson!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Good luck selling that one outside of Japan Epson! $770US for 960×540 resolution.... I'll pass.
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

But this is whole mobile approach! Powered by Android with online connection on the go, amazing...
I will definitely keep my eye on this!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

This is very cool! FOV is really small, but I am still lusting a bit...

EDIT: Remember, things are usually more expensive in Japan than they are here, especially consumer electronics. Were it to launch here, it would be less.

Higher resolution than the Vuzix, transparent, and runs off Android, I definitely see a market! This is probably the very first step into the AR future we all want.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Waoh! Whats going on here? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a bizarro-world where all this stuff is actually taking off?

Next thing you know, Nintendo is going to bring out a 3D gaming system, and Sony will make an HMD for the Playstation 3... Wait, nevermind.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Waoh! Whats going on here? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a bizarro-world where all this stuff is actually taking off?

Next thing you know, Nintendo is going to bring out a 3D gaming system, and Sony will make an HMD for the Playstation 3... Wait, nevermind.
tee he he. Now I'm just waiting for no government issued jet packs we were supposed to all get in 2000.
This looks like the lumus technology put to use. if they can increase the FOV and resolution by factor of 2 we'll really be almost to a point to buy one.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Pointless. There are only two good HMDs - the HMZ-T1 and the ST1080. Everything else is sub-HD and therefore useless to me.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Aphradonis wrote:Pointless. There are only two good HMDs - the HMZ-T1 and the ST1080. Everything else is sub-HD and therefore useless to me.
I have a funny feeling about the ST1080.

An HMD from a company that apparently didn't exist two weeks ago, with a resolution higher than the Sony, and apparently with see-through optics?
Don't forget that Vuzix's see-through model currently costs five thousand dollars, and that only has WVGA resolution. Also the images of their new display look like a mock-up; there is no nose-bridge, and no obvious ear-pieces. It doesn't feel much like a product going on sale in two weeks.

I'm quite prepared to eat my words when the ST1080 actually starts shipping, but in my experience if something sounds too good to be true, it often is... :?

As for the Epson, I'm not sure who their target audience is. The portability is good, but I can't imagine VR or AR enthusiasts getting much use out of this. Perhaps it's intended for commuters who want to watch videos and check their email without losing track of their surroundings...

It's certainly good to see so many different companies turning their attention to Head-Mounted Displays. Long may it continue!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:
Aphradonis wrote:Pointless. There are only two good HMDs - the HMZ-T1 and the ST1080. Everything else is sub-HD and therefore useless to me.
I have a funny feeling about the ST1080.

An HMD from a company that apparently didn't exist two weeks ago, with a resolution higher than the Sony, and apparently with see-through optics?
Don't forget that Vuzix's see-through model currently costs five thousand dollars, and that only has WVGA resolution. Also the images of their new display look like a mock-up; there is no nose-bridge, and no obvious ear-pieces. It doesn't feel much like a product going on sale in two weeks.

I'm quite prepared to eat my words when the ST1080 actually starts shipping, but in my experience if something sounds too good to be true, it often is... :?

As for the Epson, I'm not sure who their target audience is. The portability is good, but I can't imagine VR or AR enthusiasts getting much use out of this. Perhaps it's intended for commuters who want to watch videos and check their email without losing track of their surroundings...

It's certainly good to see so many different companies turning their attention to Head-Mounted Displays. Long may it continue!
i have my doubts too for st1080......if it's real and to be realesed in not so distant 20-30 days.....seems too good to be true....but i keep an open mind....

if this [st1080] really gets released for the same or <usd 799 i will get this instead of Sony HMD....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well the only thing people should be focused on is the HMZ-T1 and making sure that is a huge success.

That ST1080, as much as I wait to believe, just smacks of vaporware. The company seems to appear out of thin air mere days before the Sony launch, along with Twiiter/Facebook pages only a day old. Could easily be a competitor looking to steal the thunder. I already see people here thinking about waiting, so clearly they were effective.

This Epson joint is not even in the same league or class as the Sony. Its not for gaming at all, looks to be just for playing videos on the go. I could see walking around watching a movie with this thing, that could be cool. I did have the desire to use the Vuzix Wrap 310 w/ my iPod on the go, but I found it was too dangerous as I couldn't see anything. So this could have a market. If they release in US, I would consider it.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

on ebay USA - here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/See-through-Mob ... 3f115f1d10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

real pricey.....

this is interesting for usd$643 , looses sheen @usd1200

can someone know Japanese online stores shipping worldwide [site in english] ?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”