In Plane Switching monitors (IPS)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

In Plane Switching monitors (IPS)

Post by InvaderZIM »

Hey guys,

I came across some ad for monitors that use something different than the standard TN type of display. Mainly from Dell's website here:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topi ... l=en&cs=04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My question is are these ISP displays able to run 3D applications? How might they compare with the other more accepted displays out there used for 3D viewing?

I noticed on some models the lag is rated at 6ms, and it claims a more blur-free display with motion content, but there's no mention of how these might work for 3D in regards to ghosting, and refresh rates. I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor in the future for something like this if it will work with 3D. (I'm still using a LaCie Electron Blue IV CRT for my display.)

Anyone out there with any experience with these monitors??
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: In Plane Switching monitors (IPS)

Post by Fredz »

These Dell monitors don't seem to be 3D compatible. There are at least two LCD monitors that use IPS panels and do 3D, but using passive technology (ie. horizontal resolution divided by 2) : the Mitsubishi RDT233WX and the LG D237IPS. The only active 3D TV using IPS panels that I know of is the Panasonic TX-L37DT30E.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Thanks for that info Fredz, this is all new technology to me, so I appreciate the help in clearing that up for me.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

IPS panels are usually slower switching, unfortunately. They have great color and contrast, but most gamers stay away from them.

MVA panels can be a bit better, but they are pretty rare these days. I was lucky to get a 23" one at a reasonable price, no 3D of course.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

For 3D to work it needs to be specifically made for 3D, and it will be clearly marketed as such. If you don't see a big "3D" label with airplanes and tanks extruding out of edge of the bezel, then it ain't 3D.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Thanks for the tips guys, Cyber, :lol: I guess your right about the marketing side of things. The 3D capable stuff does usually have stuff flying out of the monitor and such.

Okay, then what do you guys think about this??

http://whatswithjeff.com/lg-d2000-glass ... d-monitor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's only 20" though, but you don't need the glasses.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'm not sure it's out of Korea yet, IIRC it was announced for a worldwide launch in Christmas 2011.

I've not seen any review about it nor any detailled characteristics (resolution for example), but I guess it'll suffer from the same problems than previous glasses-free 3D displays (ie. heavy ghosting, limited viewing positions, reduced resolution and brightness, jaggies, moiré effect, etc.).

It should include a camera for head-tracking in order to always present a correct 3D view to the user, but I'm not sure this technology is really effective, especially when distance of the user from the screen varies. It won't work for more than one viewer too. Still waiting for reviews about this display...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Honestly, I have no problems with glasses. Although there are some glasses-free devices out already (Nintendo 3DS, etc.) its still not very mature technology. That LG model could actually be good, I don't know. But from my experience, the glasses-free stuff has major issues with viewing angles so you have to keep your head totally still. And even with head-tracking, there can be lag which could hurt more than it helps. So I don't think I would trade in my glasses for that just yet. There is lot of stuff on the market today that looks great and is affordable. No need to wait for devices that may not even ever come out.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Some good points guys, thanks for the reality check on these systems! :) I do appreciate the honesty.

I'm just kicking around the idea of upgrading from my CRT to something new that could provide good quality gaming and movie watching in 3D that I could share with my friends and family. My budget would be around $1200 for the display.

I'm greatly anticipating the chance to test out Palmer's HMD, but that's a personal device that would be difficult to share with others. But when family and friends are around I'd like to have something to entertain everyone at the same time. Unfortunately I'm really behind on the monitor display technolgies and need to catch up. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well if you want something to share with friends/family then glasses-free is probably not a good fit anyway. The stuff they have today really only works for a single viewer (aside from multiview stuff that isn't really affordable or have good software support). Maybe you should look into DLP 3D projectors.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

DLP 3D projectors are a very nice solution but it also depends on how many friends/family you've got, because the price can rise very quickly for the glasses.

Active glasses can be found between $60 for Ultra-Clear DLP-Link (but with less contrast and shifted colorimetry) to $99 for 3D Vision glasses ($149 for a complete kit), which are probably the best consumer active glasses. If you have 4 friends at a time (4 + you = 5 total), the added cost is between $300 and $545 just for the glasses. This is not especially cheap and leaves you between $655 and $900 for the display.

For a family or a small group of people, passive technologies may be a better choice even if it's not technically the panacea (half resolution, black lines, jaggies, limited viewing angles, etc.). You can find a pack of 10 pairs of passive glasses for less than $20 on the Web, this way you can keep the money for the display. And you won't have to worry about handling of the glasses by your friends.

All is a matter of compromise...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: You are right, glasses can quickly get expensive. I got a pair of DLP-Link glasses for $40, but I have not tested them so who knows the quality. For 2 or 3 people, I think this is reasonable. Especially to have a 100" 3D movie theater in your home for under $1000. I've been looking at the Optoma GT750E:
http://www.amazon.com/Optomas-GT750E-Sh ... B005G2HR6W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more people (or if you don't have space for a projector), then passive may be a better choice. There are a few passive FPR HDTVs that can be had for under $1000, mainly the Vizio ones. For example, the Vizio E3D420VX:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Class-Theat ... 004U5T2OG/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just keep in mind that viewing angles can be problematic with passive FPR-style displays, so it will only work good if all people are within the same eye-level. So if you had the TV mounted for people on the couch, if anyone was standing up they would have a sub-optimal experience.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Wow guys! Thanks for the information and the references to the devices that are available out there. I see there's still a lot for me to learn as I didn't even consider the Projector 3D technolgies or the half resolution limitation of passive glasses. I'd rather stumble through here and ask the questions then make a big mistake on a product that doesn't work how I imagined it would.

Many Thanks!! :D

Return to “3D Monitors”