AMD HD3D

Talk about AMD/ATI GPUs and driver performance here.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

AMD HD3D

Post by skrubol »

Looks like AMD is finally coming out with an S3D solution (in partnership with tridef.) From what I've been able to gather so far, it's compatible with 5000 and 6000 series cards, and it will be compatible with HDMI 1.4 3DTV's.

Anyone know if it'll be compatible with frame sequential devices such as dual-link monitors and projectors? AMD has a compatibility list, but it's lacking the Acer projectors as well as any 3dVision compatible monitors.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZalmoxisX
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: AMD HD3D

Post by ZalmoxisX »

The iZ3D drivers are also support the new AMD S3D solutoin with the 5000 and 6000 series of cards. The iZ3D drivers should work with the Acer projector and 3DVision compatible monitors as they no longer check for hardware IDs. The only catch would be the 3DVision glasses will not work. It will be up to the display device to sync the glasses though. So the projector if it is DLP-Link it will work. The 3DVisions monitors may still prove to be a problem, unless you use some other type of glasses and method to sync.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

ZalmoxisX wrote:The iZ3D drivers should work with the Acer projector and 3DVision compatible monitors as they no longer check for hardware IDs.
So iZ3D will work with the Acer 24?" What about DDD? Also, I haven't seen any mention of EyeFinity (multimonitor) gaming with HD3D. I assume it's supported, because if not, it can't compete with 3DVS obviously, but is there any specific mention? And is EyeFinity6 supported, or just EyeFinity3? And what about portrait setups in 3D (3DVS supports only landscape)? Basically, I want to know if a stereo 5x1 portrait setup is possible!

EDIT: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/236162 ... ogy.aspx/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"(HD3D is) supposed to scale across multiple screens, too." First mention I've seen of EyeFinity3D. Still need confirmation and specifics, though (how many monitors, 5x1 portrait support).
klikklak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by klikklak »

So has anyone tested the Viewsonic FuhZion 22" 3d vision ready monitor with AMD? I'd rather not be the first one to try this, so I'm really interested to hear if it works as I already have the monitor.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There is still a big question as to how 3D glasses will be supported on 120Hz displays. Obviously the Nvidia glasses aren't gonna work.
klikklak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by klikklak »

Err, since I'm presuming they're going ahead with 3d eyefinity, surely they must bring a usb sync dongle to the market? Or can you sync glasses with three screens at the same time with three separate dongles attached to the screens?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

klikklak wrote:Err, since I'm presuming they're going ahead with 3d eyefinity, surely they must bring a usb sync dongle to the market? Or can you sync glasses with three screens at the same time with three separate dongles attached to the screens?
How does it work with 3DVS? I assume they'll use the same method.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

For any multimonitor shutter setup to work, all the monitors will have to be in sync, so any of the previous methods should work with a single dongle. Not sure if DLP-Link will work though as having multiple projectors sending the sync signal, if they're even a tiny bit out of sync, it may degrade the signal.
Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

while @ PDXLAN 16.5 I had several chats with the AMD rep on this matter:
1. they aren't making the screens or glasses or hardware beyond the GPU and driver.
2. they can't forsee any Nvision hardware ever working in any way with their hardware
3. their GPUs will support frame packing and all HDMI 1.4 things, its up to the TV to provide sync/etc.

Yet, their website shows they support the viewsonic which doesn't come with Glasses or an emitter?

...while this isn't "AMD Press Release" I was trying to be quite specific (as my GF has an Nvision setup) about we can't use HER emitter or glasses, what if she wants to keep using her Samsung 120Hz monitor.
subwoofa
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by subwoofa »

I am a little confused as to what HD3D is, exactly. You have to get the Tridef drivers anyway, so what would be the difference between using Tridef for 3D gaming on an ATI card with HD3D and one without HD3D?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The difference is the quad buffer access, which allows a real page flipping support for stereo 3D. It also adds support for HDMI 1.4 compatible TVs.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I was eyeing the LG W2363D 23" 3D for $350 is great new price point but have a hd4850. Looks like i'd have to go the nvidia rout. This new ATI/iz3d driver nonsense is mysterious and annoying.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK here is a off the wall one.. I currently use nVidias 3D Vision with NON Certified Projectors.. My Question is will I still be able to use this setup with the HD3D solution??

I currently use a Matrox TH2Go unit to trick the drivers into thinking I havea CRT Monitor to get 3D Vision working altho I need to wear the glasses upsidedown..

But I am interested in AMD for there massive amount of HDMI plugs on some of their cards for a Project I am working on..

But I would need the AMD HD3D Solution to work with my current Projectors abit with the AMD Glasses and such.. I just need it too work with my Projectors would it be possible to do with AMD that I did with nVidia??

I plan on building a F16 cockpit for Falcon 4 BMS 4.32 and using TFT displas for cockpit functions like the MFD!! Multi Function Display..

By the_nephilim at 2011-09-17
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The issue, I believe, is with syncing the glasses to the projectors. This works with Nvidia because they have the emitter and their own driver which supports this. But for AMD HD3D this is somewhat of an issue. If you have a DLP projector, then you can probably use DLP-Link glasses, which will sync directly with the projectors. Then you could use the iz3d/ddd drivers to play in 3D. But otherwise you would need generic shutter glasses (e-dimensional, etc.). I know people have got this working somehow (at least for single projectors) but I don't think its a plug-and-play affair. And the best driver to do this would be iz3D, but it seems like they may be going under or something. Its been like a year since the last official update on their driver (non-beta). But, either way, you can get AMD cards for cheap just to test it out. I got a 5570 for like $60 and it supports Eyefinity and AMD HD3D. However I would recommend getting a better card than that, still they are cheap. And if it works, then you can upgrade to a better one like the 6870 or something.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

The_Nephilim wrote: I currently use a Matrox TH2Go unit to trick the drivers into thinking I havea CRT Monitor to get 3D Vision working altho I need to wear the glasses upsidedown..
I didn't think the TH2Go was compatible with 120Hz? If you are using the TH2Go to split the signal, then you may have some luck with Radeon's, but I have yet to hear anyone who has (I haven't looked in a few months,) gotten an Eyefinity setup working in 3d.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

skrubol wrote:
The_Nephilim wrote: I currently use a Matrox TH2Go unit to trick the drivers into thinking I havea CRT Monitor to get 3D Vision working altho I need to wear the glasses upsidedown..
I didn't think the TH2Go was compatible with 120Hz? If you are using the TH2Go to split the signal, then you may have some luck with Radeon's, but I have yet to hear anyone who has (I haven't looked in a few months,) gotten an Eyefinity setup working in 3d.

It is NOT. I am using NON certified DLP PRojectors that I got working with the HELP of the TH2Go unit.. IT tricked the nVidia setup programming into thinking I had a CRT Monitor..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

Oh, are you running at 85Hz or something then?
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

skrubol wrote:Oh, are you running at 85Hz or something then?
yes currently running at 75Hz..
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

The_Nephilim wrote:
Ouch, sounds painful.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

skrubol wrote:
The_Nephilim wrote:
Ouch, sounds painful.

Well Actually with the Projectors it is not as bad as having a lower HZ like with a CRT Monitor.. Not really painful just so used to it looks really good.

Once the holidays are over I start early saving, I will look into getting some Certified 120HZ DLP Projectors..
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

cybereality wrote:The issue, I believe, is with syncing the glasses to the projectors. This works with Nvidia because they have the emitter and their own driver which supports this. But for AMD HD3D this is somewhat of an issue. If you have a DLP projector, then you can probably use DLP-Link glasses, which will sync directly with the projectors. Then you could use the iz3d/ddd drivers to play in 3D. But otherwise you would need generic shutter glasses (e-dimensional, etc.). I know people have got this working somehow (at least for single projectors) but I don't think its a plug-and-play affair. And the best driver to do this would be iz3D, but it seems like they may be going under or something. Its been like a year since the last official update on their driver (non-beta). But, either way, you can get AMD cards for cheap just to test it out. I got a 5570 for like $60 and it supports Eyefinity and AMD HD3D. However I would recommend getting a better card than that, still they are cheap. And if it works, then you can upgrade to a better one like the 6870 or something.

OK If I got a AMD Vid Card and bought the DLP Link glasses How would I hook them up to my system?? do I need to hook an emitter up to the PC or DLP Projector with the DLP Link emitter??

I did find this place:

http://www.3dglassesunlimited.com/-c-39_56.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DLP Link glasses sync automatically with the projector (basically the projector sends quick white flashes in a special pattern to the glasses). Again, I am not 100% sure it will work for gaming. But I think video should be not a problem. Just set your projector into 3D mode and feed it a 3D signal. For example, iz3d driver in shutter mode (DDD also has this I think). Stereoscopic Player in software-page-flipping.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

Beware that in dlp-link mode, contrast/black levels typically take a hit (because of the flashes it has to send to the glasses.) On my Acer x1261 it's very noticeable when not wearing dlp-link glasses. I don't have any to try, so I don't know if the glasses will do something to hide the flashes and improve the contrast.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK, The DLP Projectors I have are NON Certified so I would need a solution that I could trick into working.. they do NOT have any 3D mode to put the Projectors into?? so you are saying there is no AMD solution that uses an Emitter like nVidia Vison does??

IF I did get the Certified 3D Projectors which solution would be BEST??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I hear good things about the Acer H5360.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

DLP Link and 3d Vision certified are two different things. Many projectors are both, sounds like yours are neither.
There are also things like the Edimensional glasses that I believe will work with HD3D.
If you go with 3d Vision certified projectors, I'd just stick with nVidia though. 3d Vision tends to work better than ddd or iz3d, and the glasses work near perfectly with DLP (hard to see ghosting on black and white high-contrast images when you're looking for it.)
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by billqs »

Is there an ATI/AMD solution that allows for proper syncing of left/right eye? I know that regular DLP Link can't tell which eye is being sent so there is always a 50% chance of pseudostereo being sent. The new projectors that have HDMI 1.4 such as the ACER 5360BD and the Optima H33 use DLP Link but the writeups don't seem to indicate that they correctly assign the image to the eye.

Thanks for any help!

Return to “General AMD/ATI Discussion”