Wiimote 3dof yaw problem

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Wiimote 3dof yaw problem

Post by CyberVillain »

I can only get values from Glovepie with Pitch and roll, Yaw does not work. The Wiimote gyro does provide all 3 axis right? Or do i need the irled stuff for the Yaw?

Thanks

aha: thats what differenc the classic wiimote from the Motion plus :D The Yaw data
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Wiimote 3dof yaw problem

Post by brantlew »

I think without an IR LED reference point, the Wiimote cannot reliably return yaw.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Thanks, yeah thats what I found when googeling. First I though that the irled stuff was only for translation, but its for Yaw rotation too.

I should have started in the other end though, BF3 does not support absolute posiation of the camera using joystick :D

IN other words you cant get headtracking support in BF3 which is the game I wanted to get headtracking in....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yaw only works with the gyroscope (MotionPlus). By default the old Wiimote only had pitch and roll (and still transmits this for legacy purposes). There is a MotionPlus demo script that comes with GlovePIE. It shows how to use the gyro data, which includes yaw and is just overall more precise and accurate than the old data.

You can do head-tracking in any game using mouse-emulation (for example using GlovePIE). Its not absolute, but it should work well enough if configured properly. I was able to play about 10 minutes of Hard Reset using mouse emulation, and there was very little drift. Granted I was using the Vuzix tracker and the Wiimote, so its hard to say for sure which is more accurate.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Well as long as the game does not support absolute position using joystick in wont work :/ Not the way its intedted to work with headtracking anyway....

BF3 now does (Pseudo code)

freelook.X += ratio * joystick.X

i want

freelook.X = ratio * joystick.X
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

What games support absolute positioning with a joystick? I've never played anything like that.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

If the FPS support Joystick Y for Look Up/Down, then we can use Wiimote Pitch to solve the 1:1 mapping for looking up/down.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

cybereality wrote:What games support absolute positioning with a joystick? I've never played anything like that.
The only example that comes to mind is James Bond: Goldeneye for Nintendo 64. Heck, Starfox, too, but that is not an FPS.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:What games support absolute positioning with a joystick? I've never played anything like that.
Arma 1 and 2 does for its freelook (it also supports TrackIr natively).. I understand that most FPS without freelook does not support this (there is no need since you want to control these with mouse anyway) but games with freelook and with freelook I mean where you can move the head separate from the body, (Arma2, BF2, BF3 and other games) I see no sense in those being relative for joystick, for mouse they need to be, but for joystick? :/

Anyway, please explain more how you can fix this, If i can get good 1:1 mapping with relative joystick input I will probaby fix a freetrack or sparkfun

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”