Eyefinity Bezel compensation, I need an ATI/AMD user's help

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Eyefinity Bezel compensation, I need an ATI/AMD user's help

Post by PalmerTech »

Apparently, AMD Eyefinity cards support something called "bezel compensation". Here is a video of someone setting it manually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdxWh1vsrbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have an AMD rig handy for about a week, but I would love for someone to test something. Could someone with an Eyefinity card test something for me? I want to see if this can be used for offsetting in-game images. Set IZ3D or TriDef to dual monitor output, and set the bezel compensation so that the "center" of the image (Probably the aiming reticle) is on the far right of the left screen, and on the far left of the right screen. Here is a beautiful illustration:

It would be great if someone could let me know, would help my HMD projects immensely, and I don't want to go mad while I wait to get back to my AMD desktop. :lol:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Eyefinity Bezel compensation, I need an ATI/AMD user's h

Post by Fredz »

I don't get it, isn't this guy basically zooming or decentering the central image by using the monitor own controls ? It doesn't seem to be related to Eyefinity or AMD software to me, only to standard features of monitors to do something that isn't provided in video drivers.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but I don't think it works like that. Bezel compensation is for Eyefinity specifically. If you use dual output then you are not using Eyefinity.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

Yes that guy is using the monitor controls to adjust the image but I can see what Palmer is trying to do, using the eyefinity software to de centre the the image on the screens in a HMD allowing larger screens to be used in a HMD with only partial stereo overlap in the centre of view and allowing for higher FOV, I'm not familiar with Eyefinity software but I'm not sure the bezel correction it has will shift an image quite that far, but if it can this is a great thing for DIY HMD builders! Can this not be done with the control board of the LCD panel? (like in the video)

Also FYI apparently 3DVS also has bezel correction.

and Palmer if niether AMD or Nvidia Bezel compensation moves the image far enough then maybe this might be useful instead:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/stories/bezel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

If nothing else, this seems like something that could be handled by custom DirectX software. I have almost zero practical experience with DirectX graphics programming, but my intuition tells me that this would be a simple texture rotation operation which should be a basic DirectX command and a hardwired feature of any graphics card. (graphics programmers out there, please enlighten us.) Palmer is not a software guy, but if this is going to improve the PR3, then there are a handful of us on this forum that could probably pitch in on this project if no other solution presents itself.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

cybereality wrote:I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but I don't think it works like that. Bezel compensation is for Eyefinity specifically. If you use dual output then you are not using Eyefinity.
Woops, you are right, I should have clarified more. You would need to use the span mode for IZ3D that enables the use of Eyefinity: http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5214&highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, that was a terrible video, appears to not even be what I was talking about. It was hard to find anything other than text, though!

I am hoping that Eyefinity can shift the image far enough, you would need to tell it that you had some absurdly large bezel, I think. I would do it using the LCD control board, but it only supports shifting about 10% in any direction, not nearly enough. :( And yes, I am trying to use this so I can use larger, offset screens for HMD builds.

I would ask people to help with something custom, but it would be a bad idea right now. IZ3D is the only driver that supports proper dual output, making a new project that ties itself to what might be a piece of dead software is a bad idea.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you've got programmers in your team you could let them have a look at this anaglyph stereo driver for OpenGL and see if they can adapt it to for dual-rendering and camera shifting (and Direct3D rendering if needed) :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilstereo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be simpler than waiting for iZ3D to release the sources of their stereo driver or for NVIDIA to implement camera shifting in their 3D Vision driver.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”