Where the bad Stigma about 3D Comes from..

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Where the bad Stigma about 3D Comes from..

Post by Welder »

It comes from theme parks! Yes, you heard me right!

Warface and Myself went to Universal Studios, Hollywood on Sunday.

Well, they have two 3D shows. Shrek, and Terminator.

It is circular polarization.

WELL, guess what they said over the loud speakers and such OVER and OVER again!

"Do not put the glasses on until you are told, or you may get dizzy and Nautious."

One lady even said, Don't put them on unless you want to get dizzy and fall down when walking!

They were simply Circular Polarized glasses...

It's shame to have heard that over and over again by the employees.. They even tell people who DO put them on, to take them off again.

So frustrating to push 3D when there are so many people pushing the other way! And injecting myths into peoples minds who don't know any better..
Has anyone else had the same type of experience?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Let me guess..."3D vision is likely to cause nausea, vomiting, and loose stool. Please take your glasses off as soon as possible so you can see in natural 2D".

Regards,
Neil
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Well, yea basically..

luckily there weren't any signs.. But the ammount that the staff said that, you'd think they got a commission each time :(
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think you missed my dry humor. The joke was that they were warning that 3D was so unnatural compared to the 3D we see every day without glasses.

Regards,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

guys it sounds crazy, but its true!

well not completely, inside a room it shouldnt make much differentse,. but outside you really feel strange! all the reflexes are strange and appear on one eye and not on the other! it makes you unconfortable. but fortunately this happens nearly only on total sunlight, and they MUST say it. if yore used to it then nothing can go wrong but immagien the old 65 year old mama with the rest of the family, they could really hurt themself. basically what they say, ITS ABSOLUTELY TRUE! IF YOURE OLDER THAN 60, WITH A BROKEN LEG, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, ON A SUNNY DAYY, WITH A LOT OF SUNREFLEXES, ARE VERY VERY SENSIBLE AND THINK TO BE SEXY WITH THE THEMEPARKS GLASSES!

else, no worry.. :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

roflol!

Interesting news Welder!
I've forgotten my polarized glasses two times when i was about to drive to the shop. Fortunately i noticed them before going into the market. Had no idea i was living in such danger!. Thank you for pointing it out! Now i can drive safely after putting a BIG label on the cars steering-wheel: "Remove your polarized glasses NOW!".
I can't recall i've seen any warning labels coming with the glasses or anything when i was googling around for stuffs to a polarized rig so i really wonder where they got this from. Damned it... they want to take 3d back to the 80's by introducing some kind of black magic touch to the thing.

As far as i can see the effect of nausea isn't coming from the glasses or even having the glasses on in a natural environment but from the 3d-effect itself (too much effect). I'm very aware of it since i use quite much separation/dept when playing myself but when others also are looking i must remember to turn down the effect quite a bit. Else the others WILL feel nauseous. As Sharky pointed out the reflections in daylight and even the clouds sometimes looks goofy with the glasses on but noway that causes nausea. :lol:

Cheers.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

There are a few unnatural problems with polarised 3D glasses when looking at a 3D image on a computer screen...

1. Your eyes have to focus on a different depth than they are converging on. This is what strains your eyes most, and high separation and sitting the wrong distance from the monitor can cause it.

2. Crosstalk, aka ghosting.

3. When things pop out in front of the screen, but are occluded by the edges of the screen, they have two contradictory depths. This might give you headaches.

3. When your head is rolled a bit sideways, the stereo pair is separated vertically not just horizontally, which doesn't happen in nature and may cause headaches.

4. When your head moves, there is no motion parallax but there is stereoscopic parallax which gives contradictory depth cues unless your brain assumes the object is actually moving, which is what it does.

None of these problems occur when looking at a 2D image on the screen with the glasses.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

CarlKenner wrote:There are a few unnatural problems with polarised 3D glasses when looking at a 3D image on a computer screen...

1. Your eyes have to focus on a different depth than they are converging on. This is what strains your eyes most, and high separation and sitting the wrong distance from the monitor can cause it.
I agree here, it takes a while to exercise up the ol eyeballs for 3D viewing. I am glad to say that with some exercise I can easily view cross-eyed stereo pairs, but it is very difficult for others I know to do it (except one of my brothers, he can diverge his eyes, and he claims view my planar setup without glasses, I make him wear them anyway.)

Once your eye muscles are used to focusing at an "incorrect" depth they are just fine. Anyone who has ever gotten a new pair of glasses with a strong prescription knows what it is like. When I got my first pair it looked like I was walking down a steep hill on flat ground, I was dis-oriented as I tried to step down on the objects I perceived as "ledges" in the "hillside", it passed in a week or so.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”