Vuzix STAR 1200 Impressions

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Vuzix STAR 1200 Impressions

Post by cybereality »

So I just got back from the NY Augmented Reality meetup, and it was pretty interesting. Lots of people there all into AR and related topics. Got to try this sick IMU some guy built, met a college professor that was a serious guru (he's got an NVIS headset and all kinds of stuff like that) and a representative from Vuzix was there demoing the STAR 1200, which is a see-through HMD for AR applications. I will briefly give my impressions of the device.

The STAR 1200 is very much like the Wrap 1200 in size and shape (as well as the panels it uses). However the screens are on the top of the headset (facing down) and there is a beam-splitter that allows you to see the real world with the virtual overlaid on top. It actually worked alright. But the thing was, you could still see a faint background of the screen a little bit (it was like a smokey light gray rather than fully transparent) but it worked good enough. With the right application, I could see this being cool. However the FOV was still pretty small, so what you got was a small rectangle inside your full field of view. So the immersion was still limited, as on other Vuzix headsets. I mean, it seems like a nice idea but I am not sure this is any better than just feeding the video from the cameras into the display. The camera being used was also 2D, as was the demo, so I am not sure I saw the full potential of the device. But I'm glad I got to try it.

Also, the guy from Vuzix mentioned a model in R&D right now uses holographic wave-guides or something like that, which will allow for glasses that are smaller and look more like normal eye-glasses (with just a little bulk on the arms for the displays). I'm hoping that will also allow for greater FOV, because that is the biggest issue right now with consumer HMDs. He also said that the next generation of Vuzix headsets will be at least 720P, but he could not give a time-frame or any other info.

Please, if anyone has any questions, that's why I'm here.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Vuzix STAR 1200 Impressions

Post by Okta »

Did you speak to the Vuzix rep and convey our desire for large FOV? If so what response did you get?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I'm not sure what hologrphic wave-guides are but it does sound 3d :woot . From what i've seen in 3d from being simulated out of screen holographic material to semi stereo3d 2d looking mash, i really hope these next 2 years are focused on volume depth intersections on screen.

Hey Cybereality: When you use a HMD as i never have yet does it give a more defined 3d image with like volume depth or is it the same as a 3d monitor with currently available content thats wishy washy 3d. I use both hd3d ati and nvidia 3d vision.

To bad theres no display maker that can put out some decent highfill mesh checkerboard indepth 3d pixel panels. They're like trying to make 3d out of an illusion with semi static results. If display makers were to actaully introduce a hardware 3d volume mechanism then the light would shine. Look at my diagram as saying mesh checkerboard indepth 3d pixel panels might not catch. It could actually replicate a holographic display without the holographic film that only transmits 1 frame every 30 seconds. In the right scenario each panel layered like a passive display, Each pixel on each panel would go transparent to be able to see the depth to the next layer pixel on the sunken or risen layered panel acording to what 3d content is shown and at the given depth level of each of the objects in software transmitted to the 3d hardware display. And with a 3d pixel cube it would be autostereoscopic with view changes.

I'm sure someone has thought of this before but if display makers could get this technology inside a projector they could have glasses free theaters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Holographic waveguides could be an image projected from the edges of the glasses onto a specially coated lense surface that magnifies the image and allows the eyes to see the image superimposed over the real world image. I have a system that has holographic displays, but it's for a monochomatic (single color) image, in my case for night vision displays.

Here's my system:

I'm curious how this can be done on a full color display system, my system dates back to 1999.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Okta: Yes, I did. He said I was preaching to the choir.

@Dom: You know, the 3D image on HMDs I've used have pros and cons. For some reason, I feel that 3D on monitors seems to "pop" more. I think HMDs may have better depth (like it looks like the far background is farther) but not as much out-of-screen effects at all. Also with an HMD you get full color (not tinted) and no ghosting. Once you add head-tracking, though, then it takes it to the next level. So its a different experience.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I see now so a holograhic wave-guide display is like AR, reminds me of stuff like roger the rabbit and comercials with people in graphics. I guess for a game you could always have a movie type game that records the layout of your home and you have to solve mysteries in your own home by opening things and maybe so happens a muder in your own home? lawl just a video game of course and maybe the police have to come at your door and such, depending on how the software could be setup using your own space for the video game.

As far as AR goes for military or hunting, I guess you could always have something like an xbox kinect hooked into a wireless HMD and use AR to see a target or a 3rd person view of yourself, in outfield or flying drones that have the ability to depth map a 360 degree area.

What i really want to see is if technology can pulse a camera in midair from a tracker so say that someone was wearing an AR hmd and you specified an area to camera view and that it would for you without a hardware camera at that static point. Being able to select an x,y,z area with software and the system will give a clear video image of that spot even though it could be behind a forest, in night, fog with a house in the way and down in a cave. Like a total wireless magnetic video camera optical scanning tracking system.

Oh i also wanted to point out that if the police, rcmp and fbi could have something like this available to them they could technically record eveything that goes on midair optically on the earth so if something bad happens like a robbery or murder they could in theroy know exactly where and what happened and possibly respond minutes into a crime.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Dom wrote:I guess for a game you could always have a movie type game that records the layout of your home and you have to solve mysteries in your own home by opening things and maybe so happens a muder in your own home?
Nice idea for an AR game indeed, live Cluedo in your house ! Sounds great, and already feasible with current phones equiped with cameras (or the 3DS) too...
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for the impressions, Cyber! Glad someone on MTBS3D got to try it, especially someone as knowledgeable as you. If you talk to that Vuzix rep again, could you ask them if there is any chance for them to have a presence of some kind on this forum?
InvaderZIM wrote:Holographic waveguides could be an image projected from the edges of the glasses onto a specially coated lense surface that magnifies the image and allows the eyes to see the image superimposed over the real world image. I have a system that has holographic displays, but it's for a monochomatic (single color) image, in my case for night vision displays.

Very nice! And spot on description of holographic waveguides. I worked with them at my last job, and they are pretty nifty. I do not think they are a wide FOV solution though, Cyber. :( Here is a scan from the project I worked on (It has been more than a year since I left, and the project lost funding, so I think I can safely post this):

80 FOV is severely pushing the limits, definitely at the extreme of what is possible. It is okay if you absolutely must have a transparent display, but truth be told, I would rather have a high resolution, full immersion display with low latency cameras on it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@PalmerTech: Yes, I am trying to get Vuzix more involved. We will see what happens.

I am more interested in VR than AR. So I agree, a full immersion setup would be best. And you could always add cameras if necessary.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”