Sourcing the Sony HMZ-T1 for a Monocular HUD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Sourcing the Sony HMZ-T1 for a Monocular HUD

Post by Synexious »

Are the OLEDs in the new HMD available for separate purchase? If not, how feasible would it be to source the screens to create a monocular HUD, like the Vuzix Tac-Eye or Martin Magnusson's DIY monocular HUD? Using the Sony would be a great step up from sourcing the Myvu Crystal, and although the HMZ-T1 would be expensive to source at $600 or $800, especially if you're planning on getting one to actually use as well (like me), you'd end up with two screens, so maybe you could make one mono-HUD for yourself and another to sell on eBay, or just sell the OLED screen itself to an interested party.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Sourcing the Sony HMZ-T1 for a Monocular HUD

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

I barely see possibility to use Sony HMD to create monocle, like Martin did with MyVu.
First - screen itself and optics encasing is big.

But even if you can change the lenses and use the big screen for monocle there is another very valuable issue:
To drive the screens you need to provide signals from control box, and Sony's control box is huge, you can't use it for mobile computing or something like that.

MyVu don't have control box, neither Vuzix Tac-eye, you just plug in VGA (and batteries) and it's ready.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

Sony sells the FDA-EV1S that would be perfect for monocular use if you can figure out how to interface it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

nrp wrote:Sony sells the FDA-EV1S that would be perfect for monocular use if you can figure out how to interface it.
On Sony's site under specs it says "Field of View : 100%". Surely that can't be true. What do they mean?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

In the camera world, they talk about how much of the actual image the display will show.

Some viewfinders, for example, only show 70%, so you cannot see the edges of the image. They do this because the low resolution of electronic viewfinders means that you need to dedicate more attention to being able to focus properly than to perfectly framing the whole shot in the same format it is captured.

These new Sony EVFs, though, display the entire image the sensor is seeing. Hence, 100%.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Bummer i was hoping that i could use the hmz for FPV flight, but that box surly needs 110-220 volts to operate.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Yes, I'm hoping to do the same. I don't see why I can't just carry a battery pack. The box plus a battery pack would be less cumbersome than a laptop.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

If we are lucky its powerd by USB, but I doubt it
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

since this takes HDMI input thru that 'huge' box i wonder if it will be detected as 'plug'n'play' monitor by the computer when the output is sent via HDMI to the control box...

my headplay is detected as 'plug'n'play' monitor when the VGA input is given to it by my nettop[nividia ion 2] so if the same will be for sony using hdmi 1.4a... i wonder
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

The box is not huge, IMO.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aphradonis wrote:The box is not huge, IMO.
looks 'huge' to me :lol:
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

It looks about the same size as most netbooks, if not smaller. Not too bad.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:It looks about the same size as most netbooks, if not smaller. Not too bad.
but in any case box is larger than that of z800 for sure ... :)
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

On one of the youtube videos it described the pass-through box as two DVD boxes stacked vertically. In order for this to be considered huge you'd have to be about 3' high. :lol:

Since the headset only takes 15 watts, I'm sure Sony can create a portable version that replaces the pass-through bit with a Li-ion battery and reduces it to a manageable size. Who knows if that's in their marketing plan...
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aeroflux wrote:On one of the youtube videos it described the pass-through box as two DVD boxes stacked vertically. In order for this to be considered huge you'd have to be about 3' high. :lol:

Since the headset only takes 15 watts, I'm sure Sony can create a portable version that replaces the pass-through bit with a Li-ion battery and reduces it to a manageable size. Who knows if that's in their marketing plan...
on second thoughts - i'd wait to hear regd cinemizer OLEDs before getting sony HMD....for the same reason as above....

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”