Katzenberg's Quote

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Katzenberg's Quote

Post by Neil »

Jeffrey Katzenburg is the Chief Executive of Dreamworks Animation. Do you agree with his statement about S-3D movies in theaters? Why or why not?

""Now it's our chance to deliver something that is far superior than anything that can be done in the home"

Regards,
Neil
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

More than happy to offer my .02...

I have to disagree with that statement. Not that I don't like going to see 3D movies in theaters, but I would rather have an interactive experience in 3D than watching a static environment in 3D. All of us "could" watch 3D movies on our chosen solutions if they would just release DVD's already! It isn't rocket science, just not as profitable as releasing it in the theater (for now).

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Pixel67 makes a good point about the 3d movies being released on DVD. Is anyone aware of any progress being made in terms of blueray for S3d content?
To get this to the masses (as it should be) there needs to be a unified format and encoding so that you don't have to worry about player compatability... either you have a S3D player or not.
I'd be interrested to know if there's anyone from the film industries on here that would know...
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

its better only because we dont have access to the movies at home..

and he obviously never triedto play.. :D
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I think that that is absolutely false, they want it to be true, and are making it fact by boycotting all the S3D equipment/content for theaters/concessions only.

I don't agree that I would rather play in 3D more than watch, possibly equal, I want to record my own S3D content in other words, then view it over the S3D solution, possibly real-time remotely :).

The real problem is how simple the tech is, it is just a DLP with multiple color sets on the wheel and circular polarization. If anything shouldn't it be possible to start selling retro-fit kits for some/most/all projectors? Isn't DLP a solely TI patent?

As for the "pirate 3D movies", they seriously believe that 3D movies can't be pirated? That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. All you need is a camera for each eye, and have them circular polarized. In fact you don't even have to record them at the same time, you can record the movie once, and then pass the same camera off to a friend, switch the polarizer, and have him sit in your seat. With the high-res SD card Video recorders out there and 16GB and up flash cards it isn't hard to do. The irony is that the more common 3D theaters become, the easier it will be to get the Pirate content.

I am not condoning piracy. But if 3D takes off there will be piracy and it will be the only way to watch S3D content, I wish they would just release it already and quit yanking us around. The worst example is 3D movies that are released in Anaglyph or no 3D at all for DVD, like they want it to fail.

Still not condoning piracy, but I wish that they would release the content, 10 to 1 they will notice the piracy and then try to install metal detectors on S3D theaters :roll: , or have "pat-downs", this is freaking ridiculous, and an insult to anyone intelligent and informed enough to realize that average PC's have been able to display these movies for at least 10 years.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

I would say I have to agree with Jeffrey Katzenburg statement. Having been a recent convert to S3-D with my first foray into an IMAX cinema to watch the IMAX and a digital version I would have to say that the digital version of 3-D Beowulf was the inspiration for me to consider reproducing the technology at home, initially with a planer set up, but more recently I am debating the iZ 3-D versus Zalman monitor, I'm counting on you Neil for a comparison review once your Zalman monitor arrives and you test it with the Vista NVIDIA drivers :-).

Getting back to the initial question I am under no illusions that the cinema experience especially the digital version of 3-D Beowulf that I watched will be virtually impossible to reproduce at home, although how close any of the home technologies of 3-D can get I suppose depends on how much money you've got that solution.

I currently own a 30 inch Gateway monitor the currently the highest resolution I know of for progressive scan replay imagery, 1080p upscaled to 1600 p with a special built-in processor (Silicon Optix Realta® HQV® "Hollywood Quality Video" powered by Teranex video processing chipset
) , and I can tell you is that the larger the monitor and the better the technology the worst standard definition playback looks and I am so grateful that the format war has ended even though the wrong high-definition format won, sad face :( .

So I guess what I'm saying is that yes you may be able to reproduce a similar but inferior large screen projector theatre experience at home with your modern projectors but how do you expect to see the same type of quality as the very expensive digital projectors we are talking about in the cinemas?

Even some of the megarich George Lucas Hollywood types would be hard pressed to keep up with the expensive technology needed to reproduce such an atmosphere in their home theatre's, and we haven't even started to talk about sound reproduction in the theatres! Talking of George Lucas I believe that the animated film is slated for next year we doesn't look as if it's gonna be in 3-D or that the original six films are going to be ported over to 3-D, anyone know different?

The two medias are distinct and very different, I go to the theatre with friends and family for a more social occasion and if I watched that film a year later on DVD/Blu-Ray because I was happy with the theatre experience, I am more critical and I scrutinise the visual, plot and auditory content in a private setting with similarly technical friends or privately , looking for the features and hidden gems discovered in the many replays of the film and the directors commentary.

I guess that's why I'm looking forward to playing 3-D games because my interaction will also be enhanced I hope in being immersed in the 3-D world along with the gameplay, but for instance comparing Beowulf the 3-D game on my 22 inch monitor and PC with the 3-D Digital movie experience as with the DVD/Blu-Ray BD-ROM viewing experience I don't think he's quite fair as it doesn't matter how expensive my PC monitor/home projector and 5.1 sound system it'll never beat the theatre experience and that's why I pay the money to be entertained at the theatre in a more immersive /different way before I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray disc for home consumption, but that's not to say that one day I hope to be pleasantly surprised when the technology I suppose reaches the existential proportions of immersive interaction like in the film "eXistenZ " (1999) when we plug-in computers into our bodies to connect to our cerebral cortex and enjoyed real 3-D, what a movie!

I'm looking forward to the interview Neil, keep up the good work.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Wow, I couldn't agree less. At home you have control over the technology, and are an enthusiast. Basically you can get very high quality material to project on, and have full control over the media, atmosphere and company.

I doubt the folks installing or keeping up the theaters will be as caring (unless the ticket price is well north of $30).

I don't mind the "experience" of going to the movies, but the ticket prices absolutely cannot go over $15 if they expect me to go.

I expect to see the same type of quality because my experience is entirely upgradeable, I can choose how to set what. It is a hobby and I am an enthusiast, I can tune my setup to better match my preferences then a generic setup at a theater.

There is a limit to the amount of resolution that you can tell a difference. However smudged glass, screens with junk on them, or tears, improperly focused equipment, Digitally keystoned equipment. Kids kicking your seat. I can't see that as preferable.

This is simply my opinion, but I don't like to just take whatever they hand out. Plus it happens to be a drive of over an hour to see anything in 3D. If it was near and priced reasonably I can see enjoying it the same as a theater.

After I got a projector and seriously tweaked with it, I was very upset by the quality of all the theaters I attended, one was so out of focus that I got a bad headache from watching the opening credits. Turns out the projector was mounted so far out of keystone range there was a choice of where to focus the image from top to bottom. They were nice enough to focus it, but I don't like having to leave during a film to ask someone to focus a movie, I would rather focus the movie myself before I play, oh and actually choose the mounting angle/direction myself.

I agree that with a larger budget you get a better experience, I just don't trust the theater to do it properly. And just about anything you can throw money at can be accomplished on a tighter budget by using more time, effort and thought. If you want something done right, you really need to see to it yourself.

I agree on high-def content. I have watched as much as I can get for the past year, and a 90"+ screen is the place to see a difference in PQ, even using an 800x640 PJ and downscaling. I also made my own LCD 720p projector (1280x1024 monitor), and used that to display some TV, very nice.

There is a place for theater and home S3D, I actually want both, because demand will bring more equipment to consumers, and leave me with more stuff to tweak and play with.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”