Wrap 1200 vs Z800

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
technotica
One Eyed Hopeful

Wrap 1200 vs Z800

Post by technotica »

hi!

I am new to the world of hmds (though I have always wanted one).
There do not seem to be many places discussing them so I am glad I stumbled over this forum!

I found Vuzix and their upcoming Wrap 1200 and thought that there is finally a useable hmd. Now the 1200 is still not out in europe so I was browsing the web for other hmds and found emagins Z800.

From the specifications it seems to be superior to the wrap (besides not being wide screen), it has a greater fov and better resolution but is more expensive.
from what I read it was also released way back in 2005, so I am wondering if it is outdated?

Is it compatible with Windows 7? Would the Wrap 1200 be the better device since its newer (better compatibility etc.)?

(Though this page http://www.3dvisor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says it has OLED's so it can't be that old?)

If you had the money to get either a wrap 1200 or a z800, which would you get?

Thanks!
powerjosl
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wrap 1200 vs Z800

Post by powerjosl »

the z800 is not beeing sold anymore. and also not supported by any new video drivers.
technotica
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by technotica »

Ah :( Oh well thanks for the info, I guess the 1200 is the only one around then.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

If you don't mind waiting a bit longer, there is the Cinemizer OLED from Zeiss on the horizon. If it has all the features they have promised, it will be an amazing HMD, but there is no word about a release date just yet.
technotica
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by technotica »

I was just looking at the cinemizer plus, if that had a hdmi port I'd buy it (my graphics card has a hdmi out), unfortunately according to the Zeiss website it doesnt. I don't know if I can wait very long once the Wrap 1200 is out in europe *g*.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

The Cinemizer Plus is a actually a really good HMD. It has a good quality display and it's comfortable to wear; the only drawback is that it only accepts composite video.

The OLED model has the potential to be the perfect HMD, but like you, I'm not sure if I'll have the patience to wait once the Vuzix 1200 reaches Europe :shock:

Knowing my luck, the Cinemizer will get released three days after I buy the Vuzix...
technotica
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by technotica »

I think if the Wrap is released first I will buy it, and if the new cinemizer plus turns out to be a lot better I'll wait a bit and then buy it too! *s*
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Don't bother with the Z800 at this point. Although it was one of the best consumer level HMDs ever released, it is not really supported by anything anymore. So you can't play games in 3D, watch movies, etc. Not worth looking into. The Wrap 1200 is probably the best thing we have right now, even if it is a little outdated compared to where we should be. But its wide-screen, accepts side-by-side 3D input, and has lots of ergonomic features (IPD and diopter adjustments) that other consumer HMDs don't have. You will be able to play 3D games, watch 3D videos, and view 3D photos, without any issues. I will be reviewing the 1200VR model in the next week or two, so expect a detailed review shortly.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Don't bother with the Z800 at this point. Although it was one of the best consumer level HMDs ever released, it is not really supported by anything anymore. So you can't play games in 3D, watch movies, etc. Not worth looking into. The Wrap 1200 is probably the best thing we have right now, even if it is a little outdated compared to where we should be. But its wide-screen, accepts side-by-side 3D input, and has lots of ergonomic features (IPD and diopter adjustments) that other consumer HMDs don't have. You will be able to play 3D games, watch 3D videos, and view 3D photos, without any issues. I will be reviewing the 1200VR model in the next week or two, so expect a detailed review shortly.

please do not bother with emagin as pointed out - what if offers is huge FOV and being usb-powered...
rest nothing to be taking pride in...as the screens do not have sharpness and brightness does not compensate for the same.....i am holding on to my emagin just becoz of Huge FOV,lightweight - usb powered --- it's overpriced for USD$1799.....if you can get from ebay for USD$600-800 that's a good deal.....mainly using it as 2D monitor as no 3D support for current video cards from nvidia

somebody - please review wrap 1200 as soon as possible ...as i wanna know the LCD quality / adjustments available and comparison with Headplay....regd the features they have in common...

i believe Cinemizer OLEDs [w HDMI input built - in] is worth waiting for if they are going to release soon...
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

ancjob wrote:...i am holding on to my emagin just becoz of Huge FOV...
Huge FOV it is not... Image
cybereality wrote:I will be reviewing the 1200VR model in the next week or two, so expect a detailed review shortly.
Looking forward to it Cyber!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:...i am holding on to my emagin just becoz of Huge FOV...
Huge FOV it is not...
well - 40 fov puts it in a different league altogether undisputed even at usd$1799 which the likes of sony,vuzix or cinemizer cannot fathom.... :) [35 fov is just so so ]

yes the FOV and optics are great [rest all crap - colors,sharpness] ...

but unfortunately for a visor being lightweight usb powered with built-in head tracker with 800x600 resol.. and fov 40 there are NO choices....unless prepared to spend above USD20k..... hence undisputed king..of all 'consumer' HMDs pity on sony,vuzix or cinemizer :(
Last edited by ancjob on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Kinda hard to be king when the thing doesn't even work anymore. More like obsolete.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Kinda hard to be king when the thing doesn't even work anymore. More like obsolete.
yeah!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”