vr pod?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

vr pod?

Post by bobv5 »

I feel that peoples home vr would be improved by having a cage type thing, like what they used the have in the arcades.

It would help mostly in not having to think about the wall you might fall into when you can't see. But could also be good in other ways. For example, with a tactile transducer mounted to the base, you would feel the ground shake when that big monster you are hiding from walked past. With some software, and some switches in the rim of the cage, when it fires a rocket at your face, you could dive to the side, into the switch’s, and strafe out of the path of the rocket, without smashing your face into a real wall. If you wanted to get really silly, it could have huge electro magnets in the base, to pull on metal in your shoes, like sticky mud.

Seems like a good idea to me.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: vr pod?

Post by cybereality »

You don't even need a cage. Just a harness that's mounted to the ceiling.

Something sort of like this (but with a 360 degree treadmill):

bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Ha, yeah, that would be better. Trouble is it would take a five year project and huge expense. My idea could be built in a day or two.
Shoe's with wheels that have some sort of ratchet in the bearings might work out better than both for home building.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

I have a few of these:
XPOD.JPG
Vikjerom.jpg
sans: HMD, Joystick, and player.

Made of schedule 40 2" steel tubing. Folds flat in about 2 min. Very sturdy. Can be UPS shipped domestically.

If anyone is interested, I'll figure out a package.

Tone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Those look pretty cool, Tone. I would be interested, but I've got no clue where I would even put something like that.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

They're not large, so they could fit nearly anywhere.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

I dont supose its possible to send this to New Zealand Tone? Depending on price I could be keen for something like that.
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

mAchiNE - is about 80kg - 48"x40"x14", or can be broken up into several lighter packages. Fedex, UPS, etc... are way too expensive... would be cheaper to come here and pick it up. Probably a freight service can do it for about $500 USD shipping. Doesn't seem like there's an easy solution. I only ran the numbers for Auckland. If you're down in Dunedin, or somewhere off the grid on the south island, I'd bet there's a surcharge.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

Thanks for the reply Tone, I knew the shipping would be expensive but $500 is quite pricey. :shock:
For $500USD I could probably get a VR platform like that made here.
Out of interest is it just the platform you are selling or does it come with some kind of legacy VR system attached (like the HMD and Joystick in the pictures), also how much are you wanting for it?

FYI I am in Auckland
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”