Is Anyone Running a Triple Monitor Surround 3D set-up

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Is Anyone Running a Triple Monitor Surround 3D set-up

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'd like to here from someone who is running a surround set-up either Nvidia or AMD. I'm looking to add this to my Ultimate 3D Game Room (U3DGR). I'm going to start with the selection of high quality monitors and work my way back from there. I will need to keep Casper the ghost contained. Passive or Active glasses- either will be fine with me. Becuase I will have overlap in the sides of the displays a thin frame would be prefered. I'm looking for a viewing distance around 18 to 24 inches.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Is Anyone Running a Triple Monitor Surround 3D set-up

Post by Chiefwinston »

I guess I should ask if their are any games that really benefit from this arrangement. It will be used strictley for gaming. It looks really really cool. Does the reality match that perception? Do any of you gamers know?

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I was thinking about doing this too but not sure if I have the space (or the money). Would probably be fun. However a large portion of the side screens would not be in 3D. Only the center screen would be fully stereoscopic (similar to vision in real life). Here is a diagram I created illustrating what I mean:
TripleHead_3D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

I run one, Yes it's very cool.
If you've never used a surround setup, it's hard to convey how much it adds.
With 3D it's even better.
Having said that, is it worth the investment?
Only you can answer that, it basically adds 6x the rendering load, I use 2 580GTX and I don't run at anything close to maximum settings in most games.
The NVidia drivers are like a bad beta, so add that to the equation.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I really want to try this, at least once. I imagine it's pretty cool. The cost, however, is immense. 3x 3D monitors are going to be at least $750 (cheapest one being the ViewSonic VX2268WM at $250) plus $730 for the GTX 590 (or similarly priced SLI rig). Then you got to think about getting a new desk or some LCD monitor arms to hold the displays. And you need a beefy rig on top of that. So its at least $1,500, probably a lot more if you want to go to 1080P, for example. And then after spending all that money, you have to run the games on low settings (provided the games even work in the first place). I'm sure it's great when it works, but that just seems like a lot of money. What would be really cool is if you could run the center monitor in full 1080P 3D, and then run the side monitors in 720P 2D (since you are barely looking at them anyway). This could boost performance if the game was optimized properly to support it. If I ever create my own 3D driver, I will be sure to have that feature.
jimness
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimness »

Check out Inside Sim Racing's review of this very setup...

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vls-71o ... ture=feedu[/youtube-hd]

Jim
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Man, that girl looks HOT wearing those 3D glasses!!!!
Zetsumei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zetsumei »

Chiefwinston wrote:I'd like to here from someone who is running a surround set-up either Nvidia or AMD. I'm looking to add this to my Ultimate 3D Game Room (U3DGR). I'm going to start with the selection of high quality monitors and work my way back from there. I will need to keep Casper the ghost contained. Passive or Active glasses- either will be fine with me. Becuase I will have overlap in the sides of the displays a thin frame would be prefered. I'm looking for a viewing distance around 18 to 24 inches.

cheers everyone
By default acers are easy to bezelstrip , and benq's are a pain in the but. If you want small bezels bezelstrip and get a vesa mount you can often half the size of the bezels (although you loose your warranty of course :P).

I'll be gettin 3 samsung W2363DPF monitors and bezelstrip them, ill find out how that goes (although i currently cannot drive 3 monitors at 120hz :P).
Zetsumei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zetsumei »

a bit of an update on my quest.

My monitors have arrived, and i've stripped the bezel of the first one. To my sadness the internal cage is not part of the monitor back panel.

Which means that for a correct bezel strip I will end up having to glue stuff together. I'll need to keep some of circuitry of the speaker module sadly, but ill just mount that somewhere on the back of the monitors.

I've gotten 4 HP stands with portrait functionality that ill be using to mount the monitors (need to glue some mounting plate on the back of the monitor :P
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Lol 37:57 - "You're fuh- um, er..."

Return to “3D Monitors”