Infinite Reality

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Infinite Reality

Post by cybereality »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGaPPhq ... r_embedded[/youtube]
http://www.infinitereality.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You guys have to read this book (I listened to the audio-book from Audible). This is an amazing study of virtual reality and its effect on the mind. The book is not really about VR technology, although it does mention hardware as a prerequisite for discussing applications of that technology. However most of the book is concerned with scientific studies done on or in VR and how it effects the mind, changes social perception, and things like that. A good portion of the studies discuss the use of avatars, and how wearing particular avatars, or interacting with particular avatars can change perception about a situation. Also studies involve the use of agents (AI controlled avatars) and how people's response and reaction differs depending on whether they believe they are interacting with a human or AI controlled avatars. Another study focuses on VR for education use, and shows specific ways a virtual classroom can be constructed in order to maximize learning. All very interesting stuff, and backed by real science. A great read for anyone interested in VR.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Infinite Reality

Post by bobv5 »

Sounds intresting, but I think I'll wait. A paper copy is no use to me, and a digital copy costs more! Outrageous. Very much the opposite of where this tech is leading us. Perhaps it would class as fair use if you posted a review with a couple of mp3 samples?

I feel like I am hijacking, but that is not my intention.
This might be of interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kinda long-winded, but some intresting stuff about what vr/neural implant tech may lead us to.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Nice, I'll check this up.
By the way, if you are looking for good technical reading about VR, check these two books:
3D User Interfaces: Theory and Practice
http://www.amazon.com/3D-User-Interface ... 198&sr=8-1
This is really a Bible for a 3DUI, very good technical reading. Authors (3DUI, VR and AR practitioners) actually make a huge step in standardizing all available knowledge about 3D User Interfaces.

Another great book:
Understanding Virtual Reality: Interface, Application, and Design

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Vir ... 442&sr=1-1

Maybe a little less technical, but comprehensive overview about history of VR, it's role as informational media and with good descriptions of some real life VR apps.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
martinh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinh »

I read Infinite Reality, and agree, it's a must read. I read up on the papers behind it while I was waiting for it to come out, but especially for people that haven't been fully immersed, it's very very good. Also lots of issues are covered and cool things like the Proteus Effect.

Get it, read it, lend it to SO and friends.
Division VR Rig (dVisor, 6D Mouse, IPU), SGI Indigo2 Impact/ICO, various Macs.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Also related, I'm reading "Garage Virtual Reality" by Linda Jacobsen (which PalmerTech recommended, thanks man!). I'm about halfway through reading, and it is very interesting. Its from '93, so it very much has the spirit of when VR was at its heydays. Most of the talk is about hacking the Power Glove, and stuff like that. Its just so fun to read when the author makes recommendations for a "reality engine" (a computer) and its simply comedy gold. Things like recommending at least 4MB of RAM, which was considered high-end at the time. Talking about getting 7FPS with a few hundred flat-shaded polygons and things like that (again, state of the art for consumer hardware back then). Really makes you appreciate the kind of hardware we take for granted today. But sadly with all this amazing hardware, the software has not advanced since DOOM came out. Another interesting thing is how stereo 3D glasses were available back then, even when monitors were running at 320x200 w/ 256 colors. But they had 3D.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”