Best sport for 3D broadcast?

lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Best sport for 3D broadcast?

Post by lnrrgb »

My vote - Monster Jam! Perfectly suited to take advantage of the tech, and to showcase it! Think something else might even be better? Chime in!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Best sport for 3D broadcast?

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm voting for NHL hockey.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No question. Mud wrestling.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

girl mud wrestling is the best. I'm going to change my vote.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Aggressive inline, skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, and any other extreme sport would showcase 3D better than traditional sports, I think, because extreme sports have more interesting camera angles and involve fast speeds and huge jumps, which I imagine really bring out depth and popout in 3D. Traditional sports consist of people running around on a field.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I vote for Curling...!

Here in the UK, the Sky 3D channel frequently shows Darts championships. I'm not sure, but I think it might be part of a global conspiracy to destroy any chances 3D has of gaining acceptance.
Especially when you also consider that the 3D channel was launched with three solid days of Golf.
In Wales.
Two and a half days of which were cancelled because of rain.
The first three days of Europe's first 3D television channel were then spent showing people sitting in a studio talking about golf while they waited for the rain to stop. Obviously no one at the channel had thought to make contingency plans just in case it happened to rain. In Wales, where it always rains.

As I say, I think they must be trying to kill 3D. It's the only logical explanation.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have some 3D footage from a amateur skateboarding competition I went to. Haven't had a chance to edit the footage yet. I will post on YouTube at some point.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

I guess what I was getting at is that with Monster Jam, especially during freestyling, there is just one, large object, moving around a basically static plane. I think the logistics of most any other sport will bring in so many extra variables, that the task of getting good 3D will get lost in the mix. I bet implementing 3D with most sports, will end up like bad 3D movies, with the camera operators/directors searching for those hokey moments to highlight the 3D. Plus I think the Monster Jam fans will enjoy the addition, while many other sports fans will see it as gimmicky, and an intrusion. Much like Avatar shined because Cameron used convergence as an element of his art, having the one focal point doing it's thing, will be useful to engage those behind the production, into adopting 3D. I only brought it up, because I noticed that my TV's 2D<3D "on the fly" conversion, worked fairly well with the big trucks, and I have yet to see much else work well.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel, cyber - I'd like to see that.

lnrrgb, what TV do you have? You can convert 2D to 3D in realtime? That must be even worse than nonrealtime automated conversion methods like Movavi. So, I think there are five levels of 3D - automated realtime conversion, automated nonrealtime conversion, rapid manual conversion, slow manual conversion, and native.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Aphradonis wrote:So, I think there are five levels of 3D - automated realtime conversion, automated nonrealtime conversion, rapid manual conversion, slow manual conversion, and native.
Actually there is a 6th. Bogus:
http://www.tveyes3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

I have a 50" Samsung plasma, and to tell the truth, the 2D conversion has it's moments, with gaming on console, and live TV as well. It really depends on the content. Some commericials do well too. Perhaps I am just not so picky. On the PS3, many games do not support 3D, such as 3D Dot Game Heroes (which really ought to support it), but I wont play it now w/o the 2D conversion turned on, and it suffices.... compared to not playing it at all....which would happen w/o 3D support. Another thing that sometimes works well/OK are screensavers that can't be done with my other solutions. Now I'm thinking I should go check out older OpenGL games, which hadn't dawned on me til just now:)
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Haha that's retarded! Pinhole glasses?

Wow, so you can convert games to 3D in realtime? That's amazing! I thought it was only possible for linear video. Where can I get some software to do that, without buying a TV?
Neil

Post by Neil »

My vote goes with THIS!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rl46Dpy-P4[/youtube]

or this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJQvswrSPg[/youtube]

Regards,
Neil
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Wow Cat fighting is really cool. Nice entry.

And a big Meow shoutout to all you cat fighters out there.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

My owner/scrapper came home bloodied again this morn. I keep thinking I should rig up a collar cam for him. If I could figure a way to trigger recording, when it hears those specific low rrrooowwwWWWlllllls..., I'd be posting to youtube nearly daily. Poor guy is in rough shape, most of the time.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”