See-through HMD from Vuzix

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

See-through HMD from Vuzix

Post by ShawmK »

Vuzix have posted some photos on their Facebook page of their new prototype see-through HMD:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

It looks promising, but there is no clue as to when this might be an actual product.

There are so many new models on the horizon at the moment, but nothing is actually coming out!
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: See-through HMD from Vuzix

Post by 3dvison »

Very cool.
Does it look a bit like these projection glasses ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSkIj9y8njw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks cool, but why do I feel they're going to be too expensive.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

cybereality wrote:Looks cool, but why do I feel they're going to be too expensive.
You're right!

They've just created a page on their website; the pre-order price is $5000. Not for me!

http://www.vuzix.com/ar/products_star1200.html
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

ShawmK wrote:
cybereality wrote:Looks cool, but why do I feel they're going to be too expensive.
You're right!
They've just created a page on their website; the pre-order price is $5000. Not for me!
This is actually nice! They included Wrap AR in this price.
Let's just wait and see.

Wrap AR version became pretty popular in scientific lab's, and from this perspective price doesn't look very high, I think it's good for all of us if Vuzix will make some money.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

It's true. For the kind of market they are targeting, this is actually quite cheap. For me, though, its way too high. I hope the 1200VR is a reasonable price, but I feel like its going to be on the steep end as well.
powerjosl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by powerjosl »

sorry, but 5K is way to much...
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

powerjosl wrote:sorry, but 5K is way to much...
From consumer perspective - absolutely true. But if you didn't noticed - 5k is for two HMD's (Wrap 920 AR + STAR 1200).
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

The STAR1200 sounds intriguing, and I would be very curious to try it out, but I would never pay that much for it, even with the 920AR thrown in. You're right, though - for the market they are targeting, the price is less surprising.

I can't imagine the 1200VR being anywhere near this price; it will probably be closer to the price of the 920VR. Also, they are promising that the motion tracker and VGA adaptor will be the same as the ones for the 920. We should be able to buy the basic Wrap 1200 and save a bit of money if we already have those bits and pieces...
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

This thing would be fun to stick up AR cards on the walls around the house and run about shooting AR monsters :P
But for 5k they can AR themselves some customers.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I hope Vuzix do make some sales for this, though I certainly will be no help with that. At least if they can make some money with this, it will be more likely they will stick around long enough to make some better consumer level HMDs. I just hope they don't get too happy with the pricing. The last few products they've released have been too rich for my blood.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”