Thoughts on Wii U (new console)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Thoughts on Wii U (new console)

Post by bobv5 »

Seems like a step closer to a commercial home vr system. At least not a step back like i worried it might be.

Also, strap it to your face with a lens, instant, wireless, tracked hmd! Woooo!
Last edited by bobv5 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Thoughts on Wii U (new console)

Post by PalmerTech »

I know! I am very curious about the resolution of the screen. If it is 1280x800, I am very, very excited. :) Engadget mentioned in their liveblog that it is capable of glasses free 3D, but not seen it mentioned anywhere else... :|

I hope this is hacked to interface with PCs.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I think I saw somewhere that it is "not hd", but, as far as I know Nintendo never said either way, and, some would consider 1280x800 not hd. (Probably the same people who think 1600x1200 is somehow not hd...)

"I hope this is hacked to interface with PCs."

I'm sure it will be, I can't think of any other console accessory that hasn't been. Nintendo might never have helped with wiimote hacking, but from what I have seen there was nothing in the hardware to deliberately make it difficult. In fact, I expect they liked it, as it let them sell remotes to people that would never buy the console. As long as it uses a reasonably standard connection, its just a case of writing the software. I wouldn't be surprised if it communicated over normal wifi.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The controls will be easy, as it is bluetooth. It is the video interface I am worried about.

If I had to guess, I would say that they are licensing WHDI technology from Animon, but if it ends up being something proprietary, we are out of luck. It will not be wifi, too much latency there.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

any HD or semi-hd resolutions in the remotes are probably out of the question here. high resolution panels would jack up the price level enormously. Not just by panel cost either, it would have effects further down the line. For example, the rendering of multiple HD screens at once would be very tough, and then all those pixels have to be sent wirelessly to the remotes.

800x480 maybe? could be lower too, Nintendo isn't exactly known for their high pixel densities.. just look at the dsi hd. Well it's not ALL bad - some people probably like the fact that everything looks like minecraft blocks. :-D
"This is great!"
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Keep in mind, though, Nintendo never showed more than a single remote screen being used at the same time. The only times they showed it displaying HD level content was when it was mirroring the TV, too.

I can't see them going lower than 1024x600, which is what a lot of cheap Android tablets have been using these past few weeks/months. Bleh, I am probably letting my optimism get the better of me, 800x480 seems most likely. :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, I'm not impressed. Seems like they are trying to cater to both the hardcore and casual market, without really optimizing for either. Is it cool, maybe. I'm sure there could be some interesting AR applications with that kind of hardware. But it seems like a step backwards from where they have been going with the Wii. I guess I was hoping for stereo 3D to be a key feature, more advanced motion-controls, haptic force-feedback, etc. This just seems like they are trying to be the iPad.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

cybereality wrote:To be honest, I'm not impressed. ...
Me neither... Looks like advanced modern gameboy to me.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
Okta

Post by Okta »

Looks like it could be fun for some multiplayer FPV with its accurate tracking. Maybe even AR FPV.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Its the future of gaming... circa 1989...

mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mcsilvio »

haha great pic. im no nintendo fan these days, but this wii u is definitely intriguing. a video review from e3 said the controls were not entirely comfortable (buttons lower down). i had this feeling about my psp and it was a big deterrent for me. great interfaces out these days anyway!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”