Is there any way to utilize the 3D "Auto-Detect" in 3D HDTV

mrsoondae
One Eyed Hopeful

Is there any way to utilize the 3D "Auto-Detect" in 3D HDTV

Post by mrsoondae »

My panasonic viera 3D tv complains that it can't find 3D feed when I play a video through my PC. I must always manually set it to side-by-side or something. But I'd like to utlize the auto-detect feature. I'm guessing there has got to be a way make it recognize the 3D content because it automatically recognizes 3D TV broadcasts as well as 3D Blu-Ray on the same HDMI cable.

As long as it's not a hardware related 'switch', I'm wondering if there's some sort of 3D content flag or tag that we can utilize this feature, Anybody know the correct syntax... for example when playing a avi / flash video through stereoscopic player or the likes of it?

I've asked Panasonic "tech-support" goons and they claim it's a proprietary info which they can't divulge. LMAO
But my hunch is that the 'tech support' guy has no idea what he's talking about. How the heck will developers make content for their TV if they don't tell developers what the standards are? Besides, I have read that 3DTV broadcasts follow a well known technology standard that applies to all modern 3D ready TVs, so I'm pretty sure it's not a panasonic-propriatary info.... (Otherwise how else will 3DTV broadcasts work with Samsung 3D tvs, Sony, Panasonic, etc???)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Is there any way to utilize the 3D "Auto-Detect" in 3D H

Post by cybereality »

I think it just uses HDMI 1.4a. You can output that with the Stereoscopic Player (ie with AMD output) or other players like PowerDVD.
mrsoondae
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrsoondae »

yes it does use hdmi 1.4a. the TV is infact looking for some 3D flag but my feed at fullscreen mode isn't supplying it since i don't know what the flag is supposed to be.

for example, getting my own videos to trigger the auto-detect, without using powerDVD or stereoscopic player.

wondering if anyone knows of technical details behind this?

thanks
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, there is a special encoding used with HDMI 1.4, but I don't think it is public knowledge.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The 3D portion of the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a is available for public download :
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/specification.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The format of the 3D video data is sent in a 4 bits structure, the supported values are frame packing (0000), top-and-bottom (0110) and side-by-side (1000). I don't know if Panasonic 3D TVs honor this information, but if it's the case it's nothing secret since it's defined in a standard specification.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ah, I see. The more you know!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”